Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR AR Uppers

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    That's really interesting. I had planned to use reduced size targets to simulate longer range, but hadn't considered using them to train recoil management. How small of a target should I be using to practice this?
    really depends on the drill and the distance, but as a rough guidline, I use 3x5 cards from 7-15 yards. I orient them either vertically or horizontally, as the drill dictates, and then make sure that I can see what I need to see in terms of recoil on the target. I haven't done a lot of intermediate distance stuff, but at 100 yards, I go back to 8" steel. A buddy of mine writes for SWAT under a pseudonym, and he has written much more extensively about target size and sub caliber trainers. He has a formula for determining target size and distance, but I hate math.

Incidentally, I have put over 1000 rds of fgmm .22 through my Tacsol, in one weekend, and not had any function issues. Similar experience with one of my Smiths. Both are very accurate, but the Tacsol has a slight edge over the smith's I have.
    Last edited by SLG; 09-11-2015 at 12:56 PM.

My TacSol upper doesn't run, after numerous replacement extractors, ejectors, recoil springs, different magazines, et weary cetera.

My M&P15-22 runs like a sodomised gorilla, for hundreds and thousands of rounds of cheap ammo at a time.

I'd suggest the M&P15-22.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Chris, have you tried the 15/22 mag adapter for the Tacsol?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Chris, have you tried the 15/22 mag adapter for the Tacsol?
    If you're talking about the Boonie Packer one, it specifically does not work with the TacSol upper. Says so right in the description. Bummer, because it looks like a good product otherwise.
    -C

Nobody makes stuff that works all the time, but both of my Tacsol's run perfectly, as do my half dozen or so M&P's.

I suppose that chance went your way, then. Myself, I'm 0 and 2 with Tactical Solutions products. I'm not trying them again unless there's no alternative.
    -C

Site Supporter
    I appreciate all of the info guys! I wasn't aware of the boonie packer mod for the CMMG. M&P 10 rounders seem to be cheap and functional. I don't really have a low cost supplier for the Black Dog mags. That info (along with the apparent hit-or-miss reliability of the TacSol uppers) certainly has me leaning that direction.

I had considered the M&P15-22, but would rather have an excuse for having a non-bullet buttoned lower in the safe.

Is the CMMG/Boonie Packer considered good-to-go?

I have had a Chiappa .22 upper for two years, or so. Bought it used with three mags.
    No idea how many rounds went through it before I bought it.

It's been shot mostly with Federal 37 grain plated HPs although a few LRN .22s
    have also been fired. Chiappa stresses plated bullets are needed. Didn't get shot much
    last winter but was at the range every other warm weather range trip, for the past two years.
    Makes for cheap AR (type) rifle practice. It's made a serious dent in the stock of .22s I put up
    before the panic.

It has been lubed almost every range trip but had minimal cleaning. Has worked well.
    I have read bad things about Chiappa .22 uppers but have not experienced them myself.

Might have gotten something else but the money was right for the Chiappa.

I have a buddy that had so-so luck with the CMMG and Black Dog mags. He reports that the M&P mag adapter is a game changer for him and his CMMG conversion.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I suppose that chance went your way, then. Myself, I'm 0 and 2 with Tactical Solutions products. I'm not trying them again unless there's no alternative.
    That is bad luck, sorry. Aside from my .22 ar's, I also have several tacsol .22 pistol conversions, and cans. They all work great, and shoot lights out. Have you worked with the company to make them right?

User Tag List