Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sicario

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Been to 3 this week with the wife and saw sparkly new 30.06 (no gun/chl) signs with all bags are searched signs.
    I imagine the bag search thing is mainly to prevent people from bringing in outside food & drink, but even so, it's kind of offensive, and the gun free zone signs, well, yeah, those suck.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't like crowds.
    Precisely.

I went in hoping for Zero Dark Thirty against the drug cartels, but it was more like The Hurt Locker in Ciudad Juárez. As a movie, I thought it was pretty decent; unfortunately, poor tactics and gear choices killed it for me (the use of NODs without lasers, no WMLs, side plates being used for front/back, not a single combat shirt in sight, drop legs that were around the knees, no ear pro or eye pro ever used, standing in doorways without using cover and spraying into the room, etc.).

For the average movie-goer, I'm sure Sicario has a great sense of verisimilitude. The movie was internal consistent, IMO, and much of the tension, character motivations, etc., were believable within the context of the movie. The problem was that the movie strived to be serious, and based that gravity off of realism, and given the various realism fails, made it a much less entertaining movie for me than it could have been. The trailer didn't lie, IMO, it was merely short enough that the many little fails through the movie aren't readily apparent in it.

IMO, if you're itching to watch a movie in theaters right now, go watch The Martian, which I thought was far more enjoyable than Sicario. Sicario's not worthless, but it's not worth watching in theaters, IMO; pirate, NetFlix, or RedBox it if you're bored and you might find yourself entertained.

Agree 100% with Default.mp3's assessment above.

I had been looking forward to Sicario and The Martian for a long time. I ended up liking Sicario more. I've always enjoyed Benecio del Toro's work, and I was surprised Hollywood allowed that kind of ending. The Martian paled too much in comparison to Interstellar and Gravity, so for me it didn't live up to expectations.

Here is the blog of a guy who dealt with the real life version of Sicario.

http://edpoint.tumblr.com
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    ...The Martian paled too much in comparison to Interstellar and Gravity, so for me it didn't live up to expectations.
    I said the same thing. Matt Damon in Interstellar was better than Matt Damon in The Martian. Then again, Interstellar is one of my favorite movies ever. Gravity was okay, it was just quickly overshadowed by Interstellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I went in hoping for Zero Dark Thirty against the drug cartels, but it was more like The Hurt Locker in Ciudad Juárez. As a movie, I thought it was pretty decent; unfortunately, poor tactics and gear choices killed it for me (the use of NODs without lasers, no WMLs, side plates being used for front/back, not a single combat shirt in sight, drop legs that were around the knees, no ear pro or eye pro ever used, standing in doorways without using cover and spraying into the room, etc.).

For the average movie-goer, I'm sure Sicario has a great sense of verisimilitude. The movie was internal consistent, IMO, and much of the tension, character motivations, etc., were believable within the context of the movie. The problem was that the movie strived to be serious, and based that gravity off of realism, and given the various realism fails, made it a much less entertaining movie for me than it could have been. The trailer didn't lie, IMO, it was merely short enough that the many little fails through the movie aren't readily apparent in it.

IMO, if you're itching to watch a movie in theaters right now, go watch The Martian, which I thought was far more enjoyable than Sicario. Sicario's not worthless, but it's not worth watching in theaters, IMO; pirate, NetFlix, or RedBox it if you're bored and you might find yourself entertained.
    Agree with most of Default's post here. May be worth seeing in the theater because: Fun shoot-em-up action. Probably better to wait for Redbox.

I know nothing about the weapons or tactics used, so for me they weren't distracting. OTOH, There were a couple MAJOR plot points that made absolutely no sense to us.

This movie did have some powerful things to say about the WOD. It certainly struck a chord with my libertarian-ish political perspective.

Cheers,
    David
    David S.

Interesting movie. I kinda figured this was the type its going to be once they developed how green Blunts character was, when they get back from the first expedition.

After that I figured it was going to be a dull ending with none of the major characters doing much else other than what theyve been doing the whole movie.

The mil guys were funny.

Id definitely make this an early in the day movie at home so you can get stuff done aftee to get your disappointment off your mind.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I saw it for free, friends of the wife wantd to see it. Sad that it got so much hype but was a let down in almost everyway.

User Tag List