Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X-Caliber from Grand Power.

I try to dry fire them a couple of dozen reps the morning of the match. I do half dozen draws if a safe area is handy at the match.

Other than that...field strip the night before or the morning of, wipe, check bore, lube and go!

Thank you for the review Mr. Kelley. I hope it's not too out of line to ask you, but with your experience shooting the K100 and the X-Calibur on your box-to-match videos, how do you feel the two compare? Is the X-Cal worth the premium? I know some of the X-Cal parts are available to install on the K100. I imagine it may be a similar comparison of a stock G17 to a G34 already modified for Production Division but I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance!
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Thank you for the review Mr. Kelley. I hope it's not too out of line to ask you, but with your experience shooting the K100 and the X-Calibur on your box-to-match videos, how do you feel the two compare? Is the X-Cal worth the premium? I know some of the X-Cal parts are available to install on the K100. I imagine it may be a similar comparison of a stock G17 to a G34 already modified for Production Division but I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance!
    Never out of line to ask intelligent questions!

I think will shoot them side by side this week and let you know. But based on the videos of the two it looks like a shot the K100 a bit better.
    As much as I try to be objective in my approach...I tried too hard with the X-cal. In other words I "pulled the trigger" like I had been shooting if for years,
    rather than breaking the shot when the sights said so!

Probably too late to get you to try this but I've played with 6 of these guns and they all had the same issue, during firing, if you made the mistake of bumping the safety up a bit, enough to stop the hammer from falling during SA, when you then moved the safety down, the gun would fire. I'd be very interested to know if the one you had did that. I know I'm supposed to hold the safety down firmly with my thumb, but I hate safeties on my pistols (have flush ones on my Shadows and my Stock II is a safe queen), so when I do shoot guns with them, I'm notorious for either my support hand overriding the thumb and pushing safeties on, or my trigger finger does it if they are large enough that it's rubbing against them during recoil. The one's I've tested had the large safeties and I encountered the issue with both the support hand and trigger finger.
    Thanks again for the great videos.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I just tried the safety thing with my X-Trim and couldn't replicate the problem unless I was pressing the trigger while taking off the safety - but that's the same for a 1911. The newer models have a bearing detent to click the safety in place, did the models you tried have this? Maybe they've fixed the problem.

There are also replacement plugs to fill in the safety that have been deemed 'production legal' so you could always just plug it and forget about the whole thing.

Not sure whether the guns had that feature or not. I don't think the plugs are legal for IPSC though.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Not sure whether the guns had that feature or not. I don't think the plugs are legal for IPSC though.
    They're weren't but as best I can make out on GV they are now
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

thanks, must have missed that post. Will pass that on to the Excal shooters I know.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    thanks, must have missed that post. Will pass that on to the Excal shooters I know.
    I would obviously confirm as its not super clear , but that's how I understand it.

I just used the normal GP safeties off the other models when I was still shooting the XCal.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

A fun viewer driven addendum to the Xcal.

User Tag List