Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Caliber from Grand Power.

X-Caliber from Grand Power.

My review

Great video, thanks Pat.

Nice video, interesting to see another positive review of rotating barrel gun. I have owned for a while a GP6, and earlier -and lesser - version of the Excalibur. I think it's one of the best underrated guns out there, amazing how favorably it compares to mega pimped-up CZ's that cost three times as much. I am also left handed and appreciate the ambi controls. The Excalibur looks really cool, a good evolution.
    Last edited by LostDuke; 09-10-2015 at 02:10 PM.

How would you rate the trigger on the x-cal compared to the triggers of the other Grand Powers you have reviewed?

Nice video, Pat.

I'd be interested in how light that slide is, and what you thought about the felt recoil. (You might have mentioned it in the competition portion of the video. I buzzed through some of that.)

If it's as light as it looks, and is oversprung, I wonder if playing with the springs would bring the felt recoil down more?

Quote Originally Posted by Pup town View Post
    Nice video, Pat.

I'd be interested in how light that slide is, and what you thought about the felt recoil. (You might have mentioned it in the competition portion of the video. I buzzed through some of that.)

If it's as light as it looks, and is oversprung, I wonder if playing with the springs would bring the felt recoil down more?
    They give you 3 different recoil springs for the x-cal depending on your preferences and load.

Nice video, Pat.

Recoil feel? I... try to be objective as possible in these videos and in my writings. That is why I shoot the gun in competition and try to show the gun working. I also include a slow motion segment, to
    give the viewer a better idea of how the gun performs under recoil. I try to resist "telling" people what...i would rather lead them to draw a conclusion based on what I can proved as data.

However...

The gun came to me with the lightest spring installed and that is how I shot it. I don't change anything, just lube and shoot.

Now during the accuracy phase, I do play with the guns bits and pieces. On the Xcal I went to the the middle rate spring and the gun "felt better."

What made you think it was oversprung? Was that due to the appearance of weak ejection?

As far as light slides go...I can take them or leave them. I have both on several guns and frankly shoot either one well. Just a different "feel". Light=snappy Standard=smooth.

I would be happy to answer more if you got them.

Patrick

OH...pew pew. The triggers on the 3 GP guns are very similar. Makes sense as they are essentially the same mechanically, but sprung differently. AND...the Xcal gets a bit of extra "hand work" before
    boxing.
    Last edited by P.E. Kelley; 09-10-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks for the reply.

My sentence should have read "If the slide is as light as it looks and IF the gun in oversprung". I didn't mean to sound like I was making any judgement based on the video. I'm just going by the old conventional wisdom that most guns are 'oversprung' coming from the factory, especially for minor power factor loads.

(I wrote that before I knew it came with different recoil springs. This may be the first production gun I know of that comes with different springs, and GP would seem to be acknowledging that there's room to tinker. I think that's cool.)

I asked about felt recoil because I assume GP put the slide cuts in there because at least some shooters think a lighter slide makes a difference. I about the only thing else I could ask for on a DA/SA production gun is a Sight Tracker barrel.
    Last edited by Pup town; 09-10-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks for the reply.

My sentence should have read "If the slide is as light as it looks and IF the gun in oversprung". I didn't mean to sound like I was making any judgement based on the video. I'm just going by the old conventional wisdom that most guns are 'oversprung' coming from the factory, especially for minor power factor loads.

(I wrote that before I knew it came with different recoil springs. This may be the first production gun I know of that comes with different springs, and GP would seem to be acknowledging that there's room to tinker. I think that's cool.)

I asked about felt recoil because I assume GP put the slide cuts in there because at least some shooters think a lighter slide makes a difference. I about the only thing else I could ask for on a DA/SA production gun is a Sight Tracker barrel.
    I on occasion come off as terse, that was not my intent, sorry.

You are right, most guns are oversprung for our games. The X-cal really is built for gun games, so we get springs and a second set of thumb safeties to mix and match.

I will get a slide weight difference for you between my K100 and the X-cal this weekend.

Best,
    Patrick

Site Supporter
    Awesome review Pat. You sure do make those guns dance...do you do a lot of dry fire beforehand or do you just kinda pick up and go?

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 09-11-2015 at 06:45 PM.

User Tag List