Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 340

I've never had a J frame and LCR side by side. How much bigger is an LCR with the smaller stocks, grips, whatever Ruger calls them?

I love J frames and shoot them well but the LCR I shot was pretty good also. I really want a 340 but could just about by an LCR in 38 and 22 for what a 340 would run.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Straightened the barrel shroud, no doubt. The two-piece barrel on these new (post-95 "magnum" frames) J frames has to be torqued just right during assembly, or windage errors are the result.
    Huh. I would have thought that with the sight on the shroud that fits key-and-mortise to the frame that this would have solved the issue the unpinned 1-piece barrels sometimes had from over-torquing?

That sucks. Is it the barrel insert getting over-torqued causing the shroud to actually twist?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Huh. I would have thought that with the sight on the shroud that fits key-and-mortise to the frame that this would have solved the issue the unpinned 1-piece barrels sometimes had from over-torquing?

That sucks. Is it the barrel insert getting over-torqued causing the shroud to actually twist?
    Not sure as the gun is long down the road but I've heard of similar issues with a few other 340s.

Oh, I'm not doubting y'all; I'm just curious about the mechanics of it. LSP972's pretty darn clueful on Smith stuff and has disabused me of at least one myth I can think of.
    Last edited by Tamara; 09-10-2015 at 09:42 PM.

I picked up a M&P 340 no lock earlier this year, so far pretty happy with it. It's coming on the Dallas trip in a few weeks.

It's fairly pleasant to shoot with wadcutters, brisk with +p gold dots. I'd rather not think about what .357 would feel like, and may never find out. In any case the night sight is easy to see, and it pocket carries nicely. Thus far it has the stock trigger, although it's obvious that the apex kit would be an improvement. It took some dry fire and break-in to be able to shoot the lighter gun as well as my 442.

Is it the barrel insert getting over-torqued causing the shroud to actually twist?
    That's what they tell me. You ever seen the special tool used for snugging those "inner barrels" up? Designed to specifically avoid contact with the shroud, it can still place a lateral load on the insert in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    That's what they tell me. You ever seen the special tool used for snugging those "inner barrels" up?
    Only in pictures, because last I checked, they weren't selling the tools.

(Not that we were bitter about that in the gunsmithing department or anything. )
    Last edited by Tamara; 09-11-2015 at 06:30 AM.

Only in pictures, because last I checked, they weren't selling the tools.

(Not that we were bitter about that in the gunsmithing department or anything. )
    They don't sell the tools for the same reason they quit selling yokes and cylinders; too many Bubbas read Kunhausen's book and fancied themselves expert gunsmiths as a result.

I haven't seen one in the flesh, either. I'm told it requires a deft hand and lots of practice to use effectively and properly.

I only have two of the "new" J frames; a 342 and 360PD. The former is a safe queen for hard times; the latter gets carried daily and shot fairly regularly, although in small increments (25 rounds or so per session). Its highly unlikely I'll ever own any others of that ilk, unless I blow one up, lose it, etc.; I've become quite fond of the Ti-Scan featherweight in a pocket. But my two shoot straight, and I know how to ensure that the titanium cylinders don't get compromised, so with any luck they'll last me until I no longer have need for them.

So S&W can keep their steenkin' tool…

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I've never had a J frame and LCR side by side. How much bigger is an LCR with the smaller stocks, grips, whatever Ruger calls them?

I love J frames and shoot them well but the LCR I shot was pretty good also. I really want a 340 but could just about by an LCR in 38 and 22 for what a 340 would run.
    The LCR is measurably larger, in all dimensions, than a J frame snubby. Whether or not that matters, only you can decide.

I freely admit to a decided bias toward the S&W; 30+ years of dependable service tends to endear a product to you. I know Ruger builds good guns (for the most part, anyway), and have no doubt that the LCR will hang right in there with the S&W in terms of durability, user-friendliness, etc., etc. I just don't LIKE it. Granted, that dislike is based on a sample of one, so I'll be the first to tell you my negative opinion toward the piece doesn't carry that much weight.

OTOH, I feel my mother's example should NOT have gotten so loose in just 100 rounds of light target loads. That makes me wonder. And the DA trigger pull that Ruger ad copy made so much of a big deal about, and some folks were waxing euphoric over… well, pardon me while I yawn. An Apex kit will "clean up" a post-95 J frame quite nicely all by itself, in the second place. In the first place, these are belly guns. Expecting a target-grade trigger in a snubby revolver is like… well, let's just say its unrealistic, eh?

If economics is driving your bus, then the Ruger surely makes more sense. Again, that's something you have to decide.

I've prattled on too long here, but might as well throw this thought out there too: a lot of people also have unrealistic expectations regarding the stocks (grips) on snubby revolvers, whatever the brand. Its one of those you-CANNOT-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too things. Stocks that conceal easily are not conducive to good shooting; period. They are too small; they allow the gun to squirm in the hand under recoil. Larger stocks that fill the hand better "print" more; period… especially when carried in a pocket. The issue rubber stocks on the LCR feel really good and allow good control; they also sucketh large for pocket carry, unless you're using a side cargo pocket.

IOW, you have several things to consider besides the gun itself. Things like, how are you going to carry it, how often- and with what ammunition- are you going to shoot it, etc.

I picked up one several months ago. I finally had the opportunity to put some rounds through it last weekend.

Very light, easily concealed and carried.

Recoil is brisk, and noticeable. I fired 25 rounds of Winchester .38 Special 130 grain FMJ and was impressed with the accuracy. Fired at a bullseye pistol target at 15 yards, demonstrated head shots are easily achieved.

Have since bought heavier 158 grain .38, +P 110 & 130 grain .38s, and 125 grain .357 magnum to try-out.

I had to really look around, but found a no-lock model. I like the pistol alot. Excellent fit, and finish.

User Tag List