Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HK carbine

I'm not sure what your special purpose is but if you're going for something different, have you given thought to the FN SCAR16?

I have no personal experience with one but all that I've read says that it's extremely reliable and tough and with its folding stock it won't take up much space.

I am on my second LWRC and both have been very accurate and reliable and only 7lbs.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I'm not sure what your special purpose is but if you're going for something different, have you given thought to the FN SCAR16?
    Nope. Got too much time behind the Stoner AR "platform" to change horses now.

As a certifiable HK fanboy*, I have a really hard time justifying the MR556. Given the current state of the AR15 industry, I'd really rather buy a BCM or Noveske middy with an MI MLok system and Geissele trigger. BCM for a lightweight/GP carbine, Noveske for a recce/marksman type. Noveske makes some amazing barrels.

If I wanted to drop a few thousand on a nice AR15 with proprietary parts, it still wouldn't be the MR556. It'd be the KAC SR15, with their own middy-like gas system and redesigned bolt.

*You're talking to someone who thinks the defacto LE/CCW sidearm should be an HK, and the replacement for the US military should be the HK416.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-09-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Out of curiosity, LSP972, was the only reason you wanted to try the MR556A1 was because it was an H&K product? What is this "special purpose" you talked about in the original post?

Okay, you guys are right; an MR556 would be more than a bit extravagant, unless "because HK". And while I am definitely an HK guy, I don't want to go full retard, either.

So how about this? My "dream carbine" would be a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned/welded flash suppressor to make 16" + an RCH; a skinny, lightweight handguard that isn't all quad rails, etc.; flat top with standard front sight tower; no bloody forward assist if at all possible (and no brass deflector wouldn't hurt my feelings, either); durable, lightweight collapsible stock- four position is sufficient.

Does any reputable producer offer something like that? I'm done with "builds"; if Daniel Defense, Lewis, or any other of the myriad firms producing completed "good" rifles that I don't know about offers such, I'll buy it.

I should probably just get a Ruger and call it a day, but some of these small/light dudeshooters I've seen photos of lately certainly are intriguing…

That's an easy set of requiremnts. Buy a 6720 and a alg forend. Done.

DD M4 V11 lacks the FSB and no FA part.

If you don't mind sourcing your own lower, BCM has this, which has the FSB, but still has the FA.

I honestly can't think of any no FA factory options that are also quality offerings. Aero Precision and Vltor are the two reputable companies I can think of that even offer such an upper (Spikes, DPMS, S&W M&P 15, all of them also have non-FA uppers, but... yeah).
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-09-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What is this "special purpose" you talked about in the original post?
    Trunk gun for if The Revolution starts while I'm in town. I can use my 6920 for that, but only if I score another "nice" AR carbine. Otherwise, I'll use an el cheapo (relatively speaking) for the trunk gun. That's why I bought that FrankenGun; my cheap gene got the better of me.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    That's an easy set of requiremnts. Buy a 6720 and a alg forend. Done.
    I have a 6720. 16 inch barrel plus the flash hider= "long". Yeah, I know… just sayin'…

User Tag List