Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HK carbine

HK carbine

This morning I divested myself of the wonky FrankenGun, which leaves me back at Square One; I still need a carbine for a special purpose.

A wild hair has struck; why not get an HK, just for kicks? The "civilian" version of the 416 is the MR556, correct? If I liked it, it would become my "main" shoulder piece and the 6920 would assume that special duty.

So, any observations by those of you out there who own/use one would be appreciated. I know it is substantially heavier... but my days of humping the boonies ae long over.

TIA...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    This morning I divested myself of the wonky FrankenGun, which leaves me back at Square One; I still need a carbine for a special purpose.

A wild hair has struck; why not get an HK, just for kicks? The "civilian" version of the 416 is the MR556, correct? If I liked it, it would become my "main" shoulder piece and the 6920 would assume that special duty.

So, any observations by those of you out there who own/use one would be appreciated. I know it is substantially heavier... but my days of humping the boonies ae long over.

TIA...

Never used one, but as an avowed H&K fanboy, I tried really hard to justify getting one in lieu of an HK416 upper.

• Heavier, due to the barrel profile.
    • No chrome lining on the barrel (mixed information as to whether it's nitrided, but I'm fairly certain it's not).
    • Few rail choices (Geissele, Strike Industries, Midwest Industries, H&K's backwards Keymod-thing; RemDef and Daniel Defense also makes some for military applications, they might occasionally turn up for sale).
    • Lower not compatible with most generations of PMAGS, besides the new Gen3 and the EMAGs.

For the price of an MR556A1 for an AR-type weapon, I'd rather just get an SR-15, or perhaps one of the new Hodge Defense Mod 2s. Might be more interesting if they incorporated the improvements from the MR223A3s (fully ambi features, magazine compatibility much better now), but it's still shy of what's offered by the HK416A5s (adjustable gas blocks, chrome lined barrels, overbuilt castle nut, OTB).
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-09-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Having played with a HK416, For a Piston system I would get a LWRCi or PWS rifle over thr 556A1.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

TIA...

Dude........just buy a Glock carbine and be done.

What about the Barrett's? My LGS had some and they looked and felt awesome. A little heavy, I wanted one bad but never had the coin.

LSP, you could always just slap an HK sticker on the side of whatever else you get.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I would say if you want to "because HK" and you can afford it, go for it. Biggest negatives for me are the weight, and the lack of a chrome lined or QPQ barrel. I would likely want a geissle rail for it. If you're not going to run at suppressed then an adjustable gas block is of limited value.

From a practical point of view, you could likely buy a couple additional 6920s and a Ruger 556 AR for your special purpose and still have some ammo money left over.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    LSP, you could always just slap an HK sticker on the side of whatever else you get.
    There's a thought… I've certainly got plenty of those…

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    From a practical point of view, you could likely buy a couple additional 6920s and a Ruger 556 AR for your special purpose and still have some ammo money left over.

There you go… injecting common sense into the equation.

Dayum… according to the HK site, that sucker weighs almost nine pounds! I didn't realize it was THAT heavy…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Dude........just buy a Glock carbine and be done.
    I got your Glock carbine hanging…

User Tag List