Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: HK carbine

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I'm aware of that one, and it is indeed a good choice. What has happened here is that your impression was my INITIAL goal. When the FrankenGun puked, I decided why not get something a bit different/nicer, and planned to strip my 6920 and use IT for the KISS trunk gun, because it is easily replaceable… today, anyway.

Now, after all of this, I'm about ready to say screw it and get a frigging AK for the ride...

Tracking now. In that vein, have you considered the slr15 Grail?

http://www.slr15rifles.com/articles.asp?id=261
    http://www.slr15rifles.com/ProductDe...ode=SLR15Grail

I want to say there was a write up in SWAT some time back.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Now, after all of this, I'm about ready to say screw it and get a frigging AK for the ride...

Bleh, Ak's

Quote Originally Posted by johncorey View Post
    Yeah, tracking on Botach. My buddy didn't have any issues and it seems they have turned themselves around from when they earned THAT reputation.
    @10mo ago ordered an in-stock item.
    Called to confirm. Was told it would ship in a day or two. WAS IN STOCK.
    Was later (few days?) told it was not in stock, no ETA on arrival. Asked for a refund and got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadmin View Post
    Katana? PRI handguards? WTF portal did I stumble into? Im not saying get the latest and greatest whiz-bang crap out there but WHOA...there are much better offerings at that price point.
    Really? Better by what yardstick?

I've spent the last two days "researching", looking at some HSLD (according to Beard Wisdom) "builds" owned by acquaintances, and getting a headache in general. There is a truly dizzying array of variations on the same theme out there; all with compelling reasons- real or imagined- why this one or that is "better". While there are definitely brands to avoid, I've come to the conclusion that, for MY needs/wants, most all of the variants described here will suffice.

As soon as I get done shelling out for this upcoming wedding- the last one, thank God- I'm going to order a Katana. It appeals to me, and I KNOW that if anything should go wrong with it, Tiger will ensure that its made right. One of the advantages of dealing with an honorable man...

So, if I should be shot down in my driveway because the Katana failed while I was repelling an invasion by 3rd Platoon/5th Hell's Angels (Airborne), you guys can read about it in the paper, shake your heads, and think "Well, we TRIED to tell him..."

On a serious note, I do appreciate the thoughts that went into all of the responses here. Its been an interesting thread, to say the least.

There is a truly dizzying array of variations on the same theme out there; all with compelling reasons- real or imagined- why this one or that is "better".
    This is absolutely true. The number of fly-by-night, Johnny-come-lately, we-can-do-it-better options has increased exponentially. While this can be confusing, even for someone like me who spent a long time chasing around after all of this stuff, the thing to look for is trends. This, too, can be hard with the rise of the celebrity gun trainer, who is often and unwitting shill, because trends can get bought or compromised (e.g. Battlecomp, Fireclean, etc.).

However, old standards still hold true. Every time new hotness comes on the scene, eventually it gets compared to the standard, and gets found, at best, to not be measurably "better" or, at worst, to actually be substantially lacking.

If what trips your trigger is picking one, obscure, new hotness based on one, possibly equally obscure, endorsement, then that's what you should do. It's your money and your gun. And it certainly makes it easier to shut out all the other extraneous noise and narrow down the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is absolutely true. The number of fly-by-night, Johnny-come-lately, we-can-do-it-better options has increased exponentially. While this can be confusing, even for someone like me who spent a long time chasing around after all of this stuff, the thing to look for is trends. This, too, can be hard with the rise of the celebrity gun trainer, who is often and unwitting shill, because trends can get bought or compromised (e.g. Battlecomp, Fireclean, etc.).

However, old standards still hold true. Every time new hotness comes on the scene, eventually it gets compared to the standard, and gets found, at best, to not be measurably "better" or, at worst, to actually be substantially lacking.

If what trips your trigger is picking one, obscure, new hotness based on one, possibly equally obscure, endorsement, then that's what you should do. It's your money and your gun. And it certainly makes it easier to shut out all the other extraneous noise and narrow down the choices.
    I think the McKee Katana has been around for several years now. "New hotness" is maybe not really the best term. The last time I saw the specs the only thing that stood out was the one-piece gas rings. Weird, but IDK. (Okay, actually I just googled it and it's got a LOT of new stuff from when I first heard about it. No funky gas rings, seemingly correct bbl/bcg, etc.)

At this point the driving factor for picking it over anything is you're probably buying it from 1 guy so getting service from him is probably easier/better than getting service from, say, a company in bankruptcy or a company so overwhelmed with contract orders it pulls its best selling product off the shelves so it can meet quota. (Colt and HK respectively.) Reputation at that level is *everything*. People pay extra for it.

I wouldn't buy one myself, but BCM (who assembles excellent rifles) charges as much or more for similar guns occupies a similar price point. You can pay less without losing anything if you're familiar with the AR and want to build your own. If you want a turnkey solution it doesn't seem *bad* by any definition. Expensive...but lots of things are.
    Last edited by jh9; 09-17-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    LSP972, I did not read the entire thread mainly because the technical talk is over my head so if someone else has mentioned the rifle I am thinking of, my mistake. I am looking at the Sig MCX in 5.56 and 300 blackout. I want the 5.56 for police work and self defense and I simply want the 300. I will most likely buy the version that comes with both barrels. This rifle has my interest because it was built / designed to work with a piston system. The gas impingement variables / choices are taken out of the equation. The internals are very different from a direct impingement AR15 such as no buffer tube. If Sig got this rifle right, if it is reliable and works as Sig claims it will work, I want one. I will admit that I want a folding stock because it is cool and will most likely buy the collapsable one as well. Please tell me what your thoughts are on this rifle.

Don't think I've seen that one, WOLFIE. At the two-day carbine class I took #1 grandson to, there was a nimrod there with a Sig piston gun, but it had a regular collapsible stock. He had some issues with it, but those were undoubtedly due to his total newness at the game. One of the instructors and I helped him break it down during the maintenance part of the class; it seemed a bit… overly complex.

That rifle, and the earlier Sig non-AR offering 5.56mm carbine (the model designator escapes me at the moment; 552, maybe?) that is issued to our possum cops (state wildlife agents), are the only Sig carbines I have ever handled. The piston gun seemed normal enough, if a bit complex to disassemble. The other one was just heavy; I mean, obnoxiously heavy for a small rifle. That turned me off immediately, and I handed it back to its owner.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but I'll bet someone here can.

User Tag List