Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grail Gun comes home...

What a beautiful pistol, I am delighted that you were able to bring it home with you.

I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment, and that you do take a deer with it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johncorey View Post
    Man. All of a sudden I'm feeling a little 'icanhazwheelgun' coming on...scooped an older gen .38 Detective Special in a pawn shop in CENTEX a few years back. I take it out every now and then to just gawk at the blueing. Haven't seen too many of these, read:none, floating around my current AO in the Midwest.
    Every DS in my area that's in my price range looks like it's been used to pan for gold.

Most excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Every DS in my area that's in my price range looks like it's been used to pan for gold.

That's pretty par for the course and lame as hell. Didn't their previous owners know that many PF members would seek to collect and cherish these irons??!!

Mine was a complete blind, dumb luck deal. Spotted it sitting on the bottom counter. Started chatting up the owner. He knew, that I knew what he had, so at first he played hard to get. I took a gamble and let it sit there for a week or so. He broke, and called me up giving me the price I offered. I was willing to pay what he was asking, but the whole principle of haggling thing runs deep in my blood. Good thing he cracked first Honestly, IIRC it was $300ish out the door.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have sort of a rule on this.....if you go 4", it has to be a 28, with the only exception being a nickel 4" model 27. I also love the 28's.
    Thats probably a good way to look at it. If he bit at that suggestion I was going to say he had a good start on having one in every barrel length, and could then consider himself well rounded in the 27 realm.

I do like the nickel 4" (and every other length).

I may be sweet on the 4" guns from my 4" 29 and 4" 24.

Each time these N frame Smith threads come up I think back on the ones I've had and traded/sold off. I'm not quite as prolific a trader as some, but have had a handful of very memorable 27's and 28's, and a few other 29's. And the earlier 38-44 with the really low adjustable sights and special order ivory bead front. It was marked as a model 10 in the case and priced accordingly. $175.

Seems I read here or someplace else the S&W Custom Center could swap out the front sight for a McGivern Patridge w a Big gold bead bead. The thought makes me light-headed; though the Baughman abides in my heart, too.

I picked up a pristine Colt's Agent a few years back for $125. I only carry it every oncet awhile in a vintage Bianchi inverted shoulder rig. Too dang pretty to run hard at a course...

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Actually picked up this 3.5-in. bbl. '70s (my) era iteration of Patton's Killing Gun and Dick Tracy's preferred gat at a gunshow two Saturday's back. Should have never brought all my rathole money with me!

Did not need it but the All-consuming need for a Model 27 Snubby has been on me since I read, in the early '70s, about Jelly Bryce and other local LE gunfighters hired by J. Edgar for the nascent FBI eight decades ago.

Nyeti and a local pal who's probably bought as many big Smiths and Colt's as DB in past few years are to blame. Contacted both after a 72-year-old fellow traveller walked around with The Grail in his hand and gave me a dizzying (to me) price. Both said "they ain't making no maux! "

Prolly gonna run it at the Revolver Roundup on Day 1 in a few weeks.

Immediately grabbed up an Old School Don Hume rig just to protect its gorgeous blue finish. One of my younger detectives saw it the other day said : "is that a blued gun? It looks like some sort of deep blue chrome..." I said, "that's what blue used to look like."
    What a terrific find! You will never regret making that purchase, and the bluing is sensational. Very well done indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have sort of a rule on this.....if you go 4", it has to be a 28, with the only exception being a nickel 4" model 27. I also love the 28's.
    The real question is whether there is any blued N frame that isn't worthy of love? K and L frames are great, but N frames are the acme of S&W revolvers.

So there is this guy that has a 3.5" M27 and he says the bluing was pretty worn so it was time for a new finish. Gray Cerakote. :-O and its for sales for $780.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/thr...-k-s-w.992507/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    So there is this guy that has a 3.5" M27 and he says the bluing was pretty worn so it was time for a new finish. Gray Cerakote. :-O and its for sales for $780.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/thr...-k-s-w.992507/
    While I think it would be a good working gun and like it, I have some worries. The second grip should not fit it and the box is wrong. It telsls me something about the owner,which worries me on the finish. I was trying to work a deal on an essentially finish ruined 1950's pre 27 that I made arrangements to send to Robar. I love the idea of saving old damaged guns, but the need to be done right. I have two nice guns that were in near perfect condition and had to go to the gunsmith when I got them due to crimes committed on the internals by YouTube gunsmith's, and I just got another one that needs to go. I have gotten very leery of anything that has been modified.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List