Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Grail Gun comes home...

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The issue isn't disassembly and reassembly, the issue is polishing. Very few people have the right radius wheels to do the job properly.
    Okay, I can see that.

But what makes an M-15/pre M-15 so extra-special? Wracking my brain here; the only difference I can think of between it and a run-of-the-mill K frame (aside from the adjustable sights, of course) is possibly the barrel taper?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Okay, I can see that.

But what makes an M-15/pre M-15 so extra-special? Wracking my brain here; the only difference I can think of between it and a run-of-the-mill K frame (aside from the adjustable sights, of course) is possibly the barrel taper?

I don't think there is anything different about it. When I called to inquire about a bluing job, they said they were unable to do it. This was about a month ago. Maybe they're backlogged, maybe they only do it as part of something else, IDK, but they didn't say any of that. They just said they can't do it.

I don't think there is anything different about it. They just said they can't do it.
    Right. Sounds like they don't want to mess with it. 'Cause I'm reasonably certain they CAN do it.

Have you contacted the factory? Do they even offer the service anymore?

The factory will do it, but it will look like their current blued guns. I wanted it to look like it did originally, hence, Turnbull.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The factory will do it, but it will look like their current blued guns. I wanted it to look like it did originally, hence, Turnbull.
    Knowing Turnbull's stock-in-trade is duplicating the original finish as identically as possible, could it just be that they don't do that particular vintage of S&W blue? I don't know I've seen an actual Turnbull restoration-qua-restoration on anything newer than early 20th Century Colt autos. I don't know I've ever seen a Turnbull-done Hand Ejector.
    Last edited by Tamara; 09-11-2015 at 08:39 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I think most garden variety re-blue jobs are easily spotted by dished screw-heads, blunted corners, wavy flats, et cetera. I have seen star-marked Smith factory refinishes that I would not have guessed were re-blues. That's the main difference right there. My 57 was matte-blued and it's an excellent job, but the logo and trademark are very slightly shallower at one end than the other, which is a giveaway.

Miss Tamara,

Have you fired that 57 without ear pro, like hunting or something?

My experience is ported weapons are the only ones that leave me with ringing/impairment after shots at game; suppose it's a mild form of tachypsychia. Auditory exclusion but no super-slow motion effect...

Nyeti helped me get a 3.5 model 27 a few months back. Problem was it came home with a model 10 PPC, a Ruger SP101, and a Colt DS. Not really a problem but caused me to sleep in the guest bedroom for a couple of nights. The 27 was unfired and I just look at it. Kinda want to get one to fire and keep this one all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan127 View Post
    Nyeti helped me get a 3.5 model 27 a few months back. Problem was it came home with a model 10 PPC, a Ruger SP101, and a Colt DS. Not really a problem but caused me to sleep in the guest bedroom for a couple of nights. The 27 was unfired and I just look at it. Kinda want to get one to fire and keep this one all for me.
    I'll take the 27 off your hands if it helps.......
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Any other experience refinishing old S&Ws? I have two 27-2s that could use some work. I am thinking of hard chroming one to carry and reblue the other. Is there a source for wider notch white outline rear sight blades? The brief search I did showed only different heights

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Any other experience refinishing old S&Ws? I have two 27-2s that could use some work. I am thinking of hard chroming one to carry and reblue the other. Is there a source for wider notch white outline rear sight blades? The brief search I did showed only different heights
    Bowen should be able to take care of your sights and basic refinishing like that.

User Tag List