Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grail Gun comes home...

Grail Gun comes home...

Actually picked up this 3.5-in. bbl. '70s (my) era iteration of Patton's Killing Gun and Dick Tracy's preferred gat at a gunshow two Saturday's back. Should have never brought all my rathole money with me!

Did not need it but the All-consuming need for a Model 27 Snubby has been on me since I read, in the early '70s, about Jelly Bryce and other local LE gunfighters hired by J. Edgar for the nascent FBI eight decades ago.

Nyeti and a local pal who's probably bought as many big Smiths and Colt's as DB in past few years are to blame. Contacted both after a 72-year-old fellow traveller walked around with The Grail in his hand and gave me a dizzying (to me) price. Both said "they ain't making no maux! "

Prolly gonna run it at the Revolver Roundup on Day 1 in a few weeks.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Immediately grabbed up an Old School Don Hume rig just to protect its gorgeous blue finish. One of my younger detectives saw it the other day said : "is that a blued gun? It looks like some sort of deep blue chrome..." I said, "that's what blue used to look like."

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 09-08-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Very nice.

Thanks, man! Damned near giddy.

Now have Dad's pre-27 5-in. he carried on AF flight status during Korean War (along with Colt.38 Super, Grease Gun and Garand while working w newly formed CIA in sketchy areas), and a 27-2 5-in. I got as a Skeeter/Dad Tribute gun & carried on duty as a BUG. Always made street folk chill when pointed at them...

Site Supporter
    Damn that gun is a sweet looking piece.

Wow! Looks great!

Thank you! I may write a letter to TN Wildlife Commission asking them to give me a dispensation to use it on a deer this fall ( regs require 4- inch bbl.; a 4-in. .25ACP is. Legal, but a 3.5-in .357 ain't...

Bummer, you may have to break down and buy a 4 inch version so you can hunt deer with it.

(Yes, I'm enabling you)

You are officially in the club. Most don't realize it, but once you get a 3.5" 27, you sort of step up to a different level of gun person. Just holding them in your hand takes you to a different place that no polymer gun can. And just remember, as we learned in WWII, that will send a round through a Japanese helmet with the Japanese soldier still in it......good information to know. You will get tons of style points at the round up. I will have several there for you to drool over, and hopefully, my Barranti Sloan holsters will be done by then.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Bummer, you may have to break down and buy a 4 inch version so you can hunt deer with it.

(Yes, I'm enabling you)
    I have sort of a rule on this.....if you go 4", it has to be a 28, with the only exception being a nickel 4" model 27. I also love the 28's.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Man. All of a sudden I'm feeling a little 'icanhazwheelgun' coming on...scooped an older gen .38 Detective Special in a pawn shop in CENTEX a few years back. I take it out every now and then to just gawk at the blueing. Haven't seen too many of these, read:none, floating around my current AO in the Midwest.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

User Tag List