Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Help!

Site Supporter
    This is going to sound dumb.

It's not something in your settings ? I know you can turn off/on voice calls ect in there.

ETA: Oh look at that I can do the iOS 8.4.1 update.

I'll see what it does.
    Last edited by dbateman; 09-07-2015 at 09:50 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

I was reading on the internet (as usual, a dangerous proposition for me) and saw something about the beta version of iOS 9. I volunteered to deal with the resultant glitches like a dummy. After a few weeks of irritation, it seems to be working much more smoothly now. As was recommended earlier, I would try that.

Call me an Apple fanboy, but I love my iPhone. MacBook Pro is going on 6 years and still working well. Both times I had problems with the laptop (once where it fell off the table and broke stuff on the inside) they fixed it free of charge. iPad works great too.

I have the luxury of having an Apple store within 10 miles of my house though. If I lived in the boonies and didn't get the quick fixes, I would probably be frustrated as hell too.

And, I have three teenaged daughters. If I couldn't instasnapfacetweet, I would have no idea what was going on in their lives, so I kinda need the smartphone...

Have you tried to restore your phone using iTunes? I would wipe the device and do a restore.

BTW, I have been running 8.4.1 for a bit on two different iPhone 5 (personal and corporate) units with no issues. Both are on AT&T, so that may be a factor.

As above, check settings. I updated my iPhone6 to the most recent OS and it changed a couple of things that affected Bluetooth. If that doesn't work I think farscott gave great advice.

Now about the iPhone haterade. I'm not a big fan, but my wife and I used a pair of iPhone 4 (not S) for five years and updated the OS as they came out with zero problems. We recently changed to iPhone 6 because battery life was starting to degrade on the 4's.

My biggest problem with Apple is that the company attitude is much like BMW. If they don't think you need it, you don't need it. To wit, the lack of USB ports on iPads because iCloud is all you need. My wife drank their Koolaid and is fine with all that, but I like to think my needs are real even if they aren't cutting edge.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I like my iPhone 5s. I've had fewer problems with it than most pervious phones from other manufacturers.

I do have a standard procedure of turning off automatic updates, though. I wait a few weeks before doing any OS upgrades to see if there are any major issues that pop up. This has saved me more than one headache, I am sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok guys, update time:
    I made contact with Apple's tech support folks. We went through the step-by-step troubleshooting list and eventually reached the "wipe everything and restore to factory" option. Get this. I can't wipe my phone unless I can turn off find my iphone. Without cellular data, I can't turn off find my iphone. I don't have wifi at home. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and stop buy a local business that has free wifi and hook into it so it can shut off find my iphone. Then I'll contact the tech support rep and we'll go from there.

I wouldn't wipe anything until I have a ready to go backup of your data. Below is what I've always done.

There's a "Reset Network Settings" button that I'm assuming you've tried. If so:
    1) back up your phone, contacts, etc. to your computer via iTunes
    2) with the phone still plugged in to the computer, press and hold both the home and power button
    3) when the screen goes black, let go of the power button but keep holding the home button
    4) let go of the home button after 15 more seconds
    5) your phone is now in DFU mode. Restore your phone according to what iTunes says and when it is resetting, set it up as a NEW phone. You should be able to make a receive calls now.
    6) restore your phone from the back up that you created in step 1

Ask me how I got my drinking monies in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

You guys are going to love this:
    Initially, I took my phone to the Verizon store. The employee there assumed it was the iOS update that killed my phone. Once I restored my phone to factory new and it didn't work, I started looking into Verizon as the problem, not Apple. It turns out that someone screwed up at Verizon and put my phone on the lost/stolen list and cut off its service. All fixed now.

HA! I've not heard that one yet. Who did you piss off at Verizon?

Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    HA! I've not heard that one yet. Who did you piss off at Verizon?

MEID numbers are long. Thus it is very easy for a carrier rep to fat finger and accidentally hotline the wrong device. I always triple checked entering customers ' mobile equipment ID numbers before clicking the "GO" button for this very reason.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List