Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clothing on IDPA Targets?

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Which IMO is the only way to do it with any consistency. Honestly gimmicks like that have no place at a major match where the scores actually matter.
    It would certainly be legal under the rules to use T-Shirts. I think the key is consistency: Using the same size/type/color of T-Shirt, and replacing it when it gets torn/mis-shaped or worn out like you would with any target. Philosophically I am not opposed to using them in any sanctioned match.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I don't think there'd be any issue with getting a stage like that approved by IDPA for a major, but a lot of higher-ish end shooters (myself shamelessly included) are going see that as a test of luck or educated guesstimating and not pure skill. I really don't mind that at a club match since I'm there for giggles but if I went to an IDPA major with scored t-shirt targets I'd be sitting there with a WTF look on my face.

Odd things like this are unfortunately one of many reasons WI state is the only IDPA major I'll ever attend again, and that's largely since it's local to me. Of course, I have different desires and goals from a competition and others may think I'm an asshat and t-shirts are totally fine, and if that floats someone's boat I can't argue.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    It would certainly be legal under the rules to use T-Shirts. I think the key is consistency: Using the same size/type/color of T-Shirt, and replacing it when it gets torn/mis-shaped or worn out like you would with any target. Philosophically I am not opposed to using them in any sanctioned match.
    There is a lot of stuff legal under the rules that aren't done at major matches due to consistency issues.

With random people lifting it up, and clipping it down in place. It is never going to be consistent target to target, and run to run. Now I suppose the RO can come by and inspect each one, but then you are adding staff and time for each reset. But that hardly seems worth it for such a minor gimmick.

Gimmicks are fun every once in a while at your average club match. But once they get in the way of winning trophies (and/or prizes in other shooting sports), the fun wears off.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Using a shirt with a logo on it that was just a little below the down zero was amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If you can't physically see the target you're pretty much just guessing where the -0 circle is.
    Gaming t-shirts 101: Use the head to center and the top of the down zero is at the lower shoulder cuts.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Gaming t-shirts 101: Use the head to center and the top of the down zero is at the lower shoulder cuts.
    Christ, I was wondering when someone would come along and point this out.

Did a lot of clothed targets in Louis Awerbuck classes. He suggested using the neck as an index; think of it as a pole that runs through the body and aim for that.

I do not recall much video being shot at the KC Indoors, this was back when that was a vhs proposition. The McCaig targets I mentioned are much like John's. What the McCaig ultimately taught you was that the appropriate target is really the spine or the head. The t shirts reinforced that, and I think that was a good thing.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Finally finished the video from the September Match with the Clothed Targets

User Tag List