Page 96 of 374 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I was more interested in the fact that, during the robbery, the robber took the time out to separate out and return the phone and (purchased?) goods to the customer who was at the counter when he approached. That's some good manners...
    You think it earned him a spot in heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    This is one that is the reason why I almost always drove around or by the place first before pulling in. Our 7 11s and similar convenience stores were robbed way too often to just pull into the lot to get something. Unfortunately most didn't have a location where you could drive around the whole store but at least drive by and see what is happening before pulling in the lot. 2 of our OIS were related to 7 11 robberies with one being for soda can deposits. I also always made it a point to get people from parking in the fire lane right out front when they ran in to grab just a quick purchase. I explained that robbers do the same thing as most thought it was no big deal.
    This manner of response shouldn't be happening in 2017, but I still see it all the time it seems. You could claim a certain amount of ignorance I suppose in the 60's but the Officer Survival Movement has been an influence for over four decades now and this sort of stuff clearly falls into the "Don't Do It 101" category.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    And, finally, a somewhat unique video from Sevier CO, TN. A Deputy has what appears to be a panic attack during an OIS and is briefly disarmed by a responding EMT. I feel really bad for the guy, but he did not handle this situation well. At all. I hope he maybe finds a home behind a desk somewhere, but he flipped his shit and probably shouldn't be in the field in this condition. The EMT's handled themselves well under the circumstances. That reaction, especially the breathing pattern, is classic panic attack symptomology. I worked EMS when I was younger and I would have been absolutely terrified in this situation. He flagged the hell out of the EMT's and the handcuffed suspect while he was freaking out. I'm not sure what would have more terrifying, the Deputy's reaction or my Paramedic partner grabbing a cop's gun and pointing it at me and our patient while screaming. This was a shit show all around.

I've witnessed this "Vapor Lock" syndrome before ..... it's ugly and dangerous for everyone involved. I had a Officer that worked on my squad lock-up so badly that he had to be transported to the ER by EMS and he didn't recover for some time after he arrived there. We thought he had suffered some sort of physical injury in the fight that led up him locking up. When they examined him at the ER, he didn't have a mark on him anywhere.

I expressed my concerns (in writing) about his fitness for duty but it was summarily ignored. He carried on for 30 years and retired at a pretty decent rank. Most everyone with their head screwed on straight simply adapted to these realities as working with incompetent/incapable co-workers was just a fact of life.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-18-2017 at 01:13 PM.

"The deputies decided to use a Taser on Jackson to "gain compliance," the statement said, "when Deputy Charles Gillis mistakenly drew his firearm instead of his Taser, firing one shot into Jackson's arm."

Whoops! Glad nobody got killed.

"I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    This manner of response shouldn't be happening in 2017, but I still see it all the time it seems. You could claim a certain amount of ignorance I suppose in the 60's but the Officer Survival Movement has been an influence for over four decades now and this sort of stuff clearly falls into the "Don't Do It 101" category.
    Just to clarify the article stated that the officer was not responding to a call at that location but was coincidentally stopping by the business. If he pulled up right to the front doors in clear view of people inside that would be really poor choice of actions for responding to any call or crime. Pulling into a business lot and not taking a look prior to parking is not the best way to do things in a marked car and in uniform but isn't as egregious a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Just to clarify the article stated that the officer was not responding to a call at that location but was coincidentally stopping by the business. If he pulled up right to the front doors in clear view of people inside that would be really poor choice of actions for responding to any call or crime. Pulling into a business lot and not taking a look prior to parking is not the best way to do things in a marked car and in uniform but isn't as egregious a mistake.
    I guess we have different ideas about such things. I haven't worn a badge for paycheck since 2002 and I still don't pull up in front of typical "stop & rob" establishments. I never did it when I was working.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I guess we have different ideas about such things. I haven't worn a badge for paycheck since 2002 and I still don't pull up in front of typical "stop & rob" establishments. I never did it when I was working.
    I don't see where we have different ideas. I said as much in my first post you quoted. I just didn't want any readers to think the officer was responding to a call at the business when he was going there for a beverage or snack. It still doesn't make for a good habit to pull up without checking things out but very different from responding to a call.

Re: panic attack video situation - I decided to put my thoughts down in a post - http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/10/train-to-think.html

SLC, UT: Guy walks away, ignores commands, jacks car, gets tazed, gets mad, punches officer, takes baton, gets shot. Doesn't get much more straight forward than this. Judging by the spatter patterns, at least one those rounds hit a large vascular structure. He died on scene. The first Officer suffered a broken nose and ankle. And for a bit of "I'm too old for this shit" irony: the responding backup officer that fired the first volley of rounds was on his last shift before retirement from the SLCPD. The suspect had previously served time for attempted murder and had jumped parole, hence the encounter with police.

"I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    SLC, UT: Guy walks away, ignores commands, jacks car, gets tazed, gets mad, punches officer, takes baton, gets shot. Doesn't get much more straight forward than this. Judging by the spatter patterns, at least one those rounds hit a large vascular structure. He died on scene. The first Officer suffered a broken nose and ankle. And for a bit of "I'm too old for this shit" irony: the responding backup officer that fired the first volley of rounds was on his last shift before retirement from the SLCPD. The suspect had previously served time for attempted murder and had jumped parole, hence the encounter with police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B22t-OmErA
    The article I read said the back-up officer that shot is the one that fired all the rounds, and 100% hits.

If I’m not mistaken, that officer (Andy Oblad) was the first officer that responded to the active shooter at Trolley Square Mall about 10 years ago.

User Tag List