Page 106 of 373 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 3727

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I think the majority of the issue in the Shaver UOF is the sergeant issuing commands, and how he choose to work the issue.

Instead of trying to make drunk suspects crawl toward them with crossed ankles.. he could have done a lot of other things. He could have easily had them face away with hands on head, kneel and then cross ankles, and then have officers approach them to restrain. Or any number of other things.

He tried to get the suspects to do too asinine a movement, and amped up the situation with "Or we'll kill you". This amped up his officers as well. I can't condemn the shooting officer, because I wasn't in his shoes. Had the guy turned out to be armed and making a move it would have been the right thing. I do however condemn the leader who had no idea what to do, and screwed his officer in the mean time.

-Cory
    This exactly. The officer who shot has a rifle to his face and gives no commands yet is taking all the wrath for reacting to a furtive movement and every other part of the police action. I don't have any issue at all with removing the suspects from near the door of the hotel room involved but the way it was done is the issue beyond the bad choices Shaver made.

The jury instructions included the option for manslaughter and aggravated assault.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    TiroFijo:
    In addition to everything TGS stated, it is important to recall that Shaver's wife has a wrongful death claim against the officers and department. I have little doubt that the case will be settled for a substantial amount of money. Money won't bring back Daniel Shaver, but neither would convicting Brailsford.

In addition, departments and academies around the country are going to use this video as an example of what NOT to do ("We're going to play Simon Says. We get to kill you if you mess up.").
    Unfortunately, most will not. Frankly, most academies and their instructors will remain blissfully unaware of this case and others, and will keep on keepin' on. I've spoken to two of our full time range staff about the Shaver shooting. Neither had heard of it. Maybe others have, but it damn sure isn't being dissected and discussed. For that matter, our own shootings aren't either, as policy. Back in the '80's our city attorney convinced our department that AAR's are bad juju, and will be used against us, so there are literally no lessons learned. Police reports of shootings aren't even shared with training staff. I don't think we're that unique, either.
    Don't get me wrong. I think this state of affairs is grossly negligent, and would change it if I could. Which is probably why I'm not in such a position.

Re the Broward County OIS thread - yesterday was our use of force instructor meeting / prep day for next quarter's training. On the defensive tactics side, one of the specific subjects being covered was one on one tackling.

On the Mesa discussion, my issue with that event is the nature, quality of the commands given. Different commands, directions I believe would have produced a different outcome. But that's just me. I have had disagreements with tactical team guys (though not mine) who believe the commands were good.

Don't remember if this was posted. Deputies cleared.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    http://kutv.com/news/local/released-...leged-shooting

So... full auto fire with a busy highway as the backstop and two bystanders struck .....
    Last edited by HCM; 01-11-2018 at 10:13 AM.

That was painful to watch on a variety of levels.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Don't remember if this was posted. Deputies cleared.
    Personal opinion, I didn't like him getting that close to the dude to use the taser. That makes a case for a longer distance LL like a 12ga bean bag because that could have easily turned out different for that deputy at that distance.

User Tag List