Page 74 of 374 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

Nice shot...
    Damn!

What was that about 35-40 yards? Admittedly I suck at judging distance.

Would be interested in reading that autopsy report.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The public tends to see our department's mental health officer/Crisis Intervention Team training as training us to be less likely to use deadly force against dangerous mental patients. The reality is that I, at least, will use lethal force just as readily, if not more readily, because I have a better appreciation for how dangerous a mentally ill person can be. Had I received my C.I.T. training before I met Mr. Montoya at the River Oaks Post Office, in Houston, in 1993, I would have probably fired sooner than I did, allowing JUST enough time for that one colleague to clear from my line of fire.

Overall, yes, C.I.T. training saves more lives of mentally ill folks, than if the training did not exist, but when there is a lethal weapon in the equation, we will perform the indicated response. This is not Star Trek, and my uniform shirt is not red. I am not cannon fodder for an armed mentally ill person to slaughter.

I don't know if it's TCOLE or what but most of CIT training seems to be from HPD. Videos from the 90s of scenarios and I think a speech give by a guy I believe is named jack Callahan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The public tends to see our department's mental health officer/Crisis Intervention Team training as training us to be less likely to use deadly force against dangerous mental patients. The reality is that I, at least, will use lethal force just as readily, if not more readily, because I have a better appreciation for how dangerous a mentally ill person can be. Had I received my C.I.T. training before I met Mr. Montoya at the River Oaks Post Office, in Houston, in 1993, I would have probably fired sooner than I did, allowing JUST enough time for that one colleague to clear from my line of fire.

Overall, yes, C.I.T. training saves more lives of mentally ill folks, than if the training did not exist, but when there is a lethal weapon in the equation, we will perform the indicated response. This is not Star Trek, and my uniform shirt is not red. I am not cannon fodder for an armed mentally ill person to slaughter.
    I've been CIT trained for a few years now, it's good training and all but it puts you in harm's way first. I don't have an issue with this, at all, but I'm not worried about my actions. The fact that the general public believe that we can just magically de-escalate a wired up, chemically unbalanced person is very short sighted.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    The family in that one is right: it didn't have to end that way.

The part about them being responsible for not locking up the long gun is what places the blame for the outcome solely in their lap.

Mental calls.......you gotta love em.

Good shoot.
    The family rendered the weapon inoperable. This protected the family, the community, and the responding officers, but it did not create the appearance of safety.

Locally...The first just happened and the deputy was OFF-DUTY.

http://abc11.com/news/manhunt-underw...eputy/2214831/

Secondly, one of my neighbors, a deputy, and another Trooper I know were involved in an OIS last week. I've been waiting to post it until I could figure some things out. It was all captured on in-car video which has not been released. Its a good shoot

http://www.wral.com/officials-woman-...unty/16808247/

Stay frosty people!

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    The family rendered the weapon inoperable. This protected the family, the community, and the responding officers, but it did not create the appearance of safety.
    If I remember right, they removed the bolt and hid it. Not 100 percent sure but I would think a bolt could be ordered on the internet and easily installed sans gunsmithing.

Regardless of that though, it's not like "suicide by cop" isn't a well known way of checking out. If one chooses to allow a family member with mental illness to reside with them, he/she should secure weapons in a gun locker/safe. Just my opinion on the matter.

Guy could have accomplished the same outcome with a steak knife though or the family hatchet/axe.

Blaming the cops that responded to the threat is the part that I disagree with them on. The guy with the bolt less rifle is the one to blame in this. I go to a whole bunch of calls every week where it is a mental health issue....not a LE issue. Family members beg us to "do something" instead of paying for treatment out of their own pockets. They want their loved one fixed "on the cheap" so they call us instead of getting/paying for the help their family member so desperately needs. Admittedly, a lot of them can't afford mental health treatment so they are probably doing the best that they know how to do and we try to help the best we can.

But gun ownership (huge 2nd Amendment dude here) comes with responsibilities. It was their responsibility to secure that weapon. If they had done so, it might have turned out a whole lot better for them.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    If I remember right, they removed the bolt and hid it. Not 100 percent sure but I would think a bolt could be ordered on the internet and easily installed sans gunsmithing.

Regardless of that though, it's not like "suicide by cop" isn't a well known way of checking out. If one chooses to allow a family member with mental illness to reside with them, he/she should secure weapons in a gun locker/safe. Just my opinion on the matter.

Guy could have accomplished the same outcome with a steak knife though or the family hatchet/axe.

Blaming the cops that responded to the threat is the part that I disagree with them on. The guy with the bolt less rifle is the one to blame in this. I go to a whole bunch of calls every week where it is a mental health issue....not a LE issue. Family members beg us to "do something" instead of paying for treatment out of their own pockets. They want their loved one fixed "on the cheap" so they call us instead of getting/paying for the help their family member so desperately needs. Admittedly, a lot of them can't afford mental health treatment so they are probably doing the best that they know how to do and we try to help the best we can.

But gun ownership (huge 2nd Amendment dude here) comes with responsibilities. It was their responsibility to secure that weapon. If they had done so, it might have turned out a whole lot better for them.

Regards.
    I thought the family took reasonable steps. As you stated, the result could have been similar or worse if the decedent had grabbed an axe or machete or chain saw or family car or the can of gasoline they use to fill the lawn mower etc ad nauseum. This is one of the situations where I feel sorry for everyone involved. The officer killed a sick person who did not pose a real risk to him. I hope he can move on because he did a damn fine job. The family lost a member in a violent manner. I wish they weren't blaming the officers. Life isn't fair. Everyone involved got a great big reminder.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dashcam video of police involved fatal shooting, Atlantic City 3/27/2014

almost 13 mins long, but a good bit of pursuit action going on.

You hear the officer answer his cell phone several times - that's a no go unless it's your direct supervisor and you are planning tactics.

Officer gets stuck behind a vehicle which won't move - this happens as the bad guy doesn't care about property damage but the officer has to care - best practice is keeping 2-3 car length distance and be able to make adjustments as needed in traffic.

Notice the amount of vehicles involved? I think the SUV was an NJSP vehicle the black and white new dodges are ACPD and I don't know what county it started in but you see an unmarked joining in. Either way, too many cars.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Dashcam video of police involved fatal shooting, Atlantic City 3/27/2014

almost 13 mins long, but a good bit of pursuit action going on.

You hear the officer answer his cell phone several times - that's a no go unless it's your direct supervisor and you are planning tactics.

Officer gets stuck behind a vehicle which won't move - this happens as the bad guy doesn't care about property damage but the officer has to care - best practice is keeping 2-3 car length distance and be able to make adjustments as needed in traffic.

Notice the amount of vehicles involved? I think the SUV was an NJSP vehicle the black and white new dodges are ACPD and I don't know what county it started in but you see an unmarked joining in. Either way, too many cars.
    I have several issues with this but not enough time to address them right now.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I have several issues with this but not enough time to address them right now.
    The video or my post?
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List