Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WHO/SHO - thumb position?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    In a recent class Bruce Gray likes the thumb down, second picture position.

Kyle Defoor advocates this as well:

https://youtu.be/wcVHykd3zTU?t=1m1s
    That is exactly the way I shoot single handed.

Use the end of the thumb to crush the side of the gun and focus all pressure between the thumb and the pinky/ring finger.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Thanks for the discussion guys. I'm hoping to hit the range tomorrow. I will try some variations and report back here.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 09-06-2015 at 03:06 PM.

I flag the thumb. Seems to keep the gun more stable for me by creating upward pressure on the beavertail.

Kyle Defoor advocates this as well:

https://youtu.be/wcVHykd3zTU?t=1m1s
    Gutsy cameraman! I saw more of the bore at 3:30 than would make me comfortable.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-06-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Gutsy cameraman! I saw more of the bore at 3:30 than would make me comfortable.
    I hope he received a proper burial.

What's your preferred SHO /WHO grip?
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 09-06-2015 at 06:49 PM.

I have to keep thumb tension on the gun, so my grip is thumb down with strong tension applied via the thumb.

I was taught thumb up, but find thumb down more comfortable and I do not see really any difference in shooting.

Ironically, while at the range yesterday practicing SHO I thought about posing this very question. Convenient, thanks OP.

After experimenting back and forth, here is what I came up with...

1) Placing my thumb down gave me more leverage to grip the pistol and ultimately more control on multiple shot strings and faster splits.

2) Flagging my thumb resulted in less grip leverage and subsequently less sight movement which was better for precision.

With SHO/WHO, the harder I can grip, the more sight wobble I will induce, and with thumbs down I can get more of a crush grip than I can generate when flagging. In the end, I found myself transitioning back and forth without thought, from thumbs down while shooting strings and transitions to flagging when slowing down due to needing more precision.

Basically, my thumb position was driven by front sight focus while "seeing what I need to see". So, I started off in search for "which" one works best for me, and as it turns out the answer is "both", and determined by the shot(s). YMMV
    Last edited by StraitR; 09-07-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarity

I hope he received a proper burial.

What's your preferred SHO /WHO grip?
    Are you asking me? In general, the one I described in my post on the first page, with the MP joint rolled forward, per this half-assed diagram:

I hasten to add that this is platform dependant; I personally feel differently about revolvers, where I prefer to just curl both thumbs down if they fit. The thumbs curled is going to give great strength, but it will by design have give and flexibility to it; that's part of why one can grab a clubbed weapon and hit something hard without either dropping the weapon, or busting up the bones in their thumb/hand from the energy transfer. I think we will see more people identifying this tradeoff (strength/recoil control vs stability) as this thread progresses, since that's just the design of the hand. I'll also add the caveat that I am *far* from the best shooter on this board; I'm sure there are examples of monster fast shooters to be found using all the various grip variations, within reason.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-07-2015 at 05:41 PM.

I did a quick and dirty assessment today at the range. I only had two mags worth of ammo left after the DOTW's.

3X5 cards at 7 yards, ten shots with thumb flagged and ten shots with thumb curled. SHO at a medium pace.

What does this tell me? Virtually nothing. Groups are terrible with each. Thumb curled offered slightly better recoil control. I have no idea where the 10th round went on the top target. It's possible I only loaded 9 rounds I guess...
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 09-07-2015 at 06:07 PM.

User Tag List