Page 531 of 812 FirstFirst ... 31431481521529530531532533541581631 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,310 of 8111

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I believe you are correct. I haven't seen "Prime Suspect, but love Helen Mirren." Don't recall seeing it advertised on Local PBS. I'll check Netflix and Hulu. (The are only premium channels I have access to at the moment.) I'll also check to see if it's available on DVD at the library.
    You will be glad you did. Trust me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The wife and I are into all those British mysteries. Midsomer Murders kicked us off, Endeavor, Granchester, and I can't even remember them all now. The library has several seasons of "Inspector Morris." Even though an older show, it is Endeavor in his later years.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I believe you mean "Inspector Morse". And a spin-off "Inspector Lewis" was also available.

I enjoy them somewhat, but they are a bit out there.

A must see is "Prime Suspect" with Helen Mirren. The British equivalent of "The Wire"...imho. It's very good.
    Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren is available to stream on Hulu. The NBC remake which lasted 13 episodes was terrible and my wife tells me that the prequel Prime Suspect: Tennison wasn't good either and only made it for one season of 6 episodes I believe.

If you like foreign murder mystery shows, there are several from the Nordic region that are quite good on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I believe you mean "Inspector Morse". And a spin-off "Inspector Lewis" was also available.

I enjoy them somewhat, but they are a bit out there.

A must see is "Prime Suspect" with Helen Mirren. The British equivalent of "The Wire"...imho. It's very good.
    Morse and the other shows in that "universe" seem to get more odd as time goes on---they may be struggling not to repeat themselves.

Need to watch Prime Suspect, obviously!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Morse and the other shows in that "universe" seem to get more odd as time goes on---they may be struggling not to repeat themselves.

Need to watch Prime Suspect, obviously!
    Add "Spiral" (Engrenages) from France if you don't mind subtitles, or your French is up to it. A very good police procedural / legal drama...but you have to be willing to raise your eyebrows with some of the human interaction / drama. Did I mention it's French? Anyway, I'm very picky in this category and it is still a strong recommend, despite some of the "drama". Available on amazon Prime as well, (five seasons, I believe), on hulu.

Those two should hold anyone for a while.

The Wallender series, (both Swedish and British versions), are worth watching with the usual caveats about grains of salt. Sometimes full shakers.

I haven't watched either of the Inspector Rebus series, (two different actors), because I am still working my way through the books. Sort of a Scottish "Bosch" if I had to liken the books to something familiar.

There are others.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren is available to stream on Hulu. The NBC remake which lasted 13 episodes was terrible and my wife tells me that the prequel Prime Suspect: Tennison wasn't good either and only made it for one season of 6 episodes I believe.

If you like foreign murder mystery shows, there are several from the Nordic region that are quite good on Netflix.
    For some reason I didn't see it on HULU. I'll look again. I found a couple of seasons, including the first, on DVD at the library and am actually watching the first episode as I type this. Pretty good so far.

Site Supporter

If you like foreign murder mystery shows, there are several from the Nordic region that are quite good one Netflix.
    We've caught several of those Nordic shows and enjoyed them. A really quirky one was on HBO titled "Beforigners."
    It's listed as Sci-Fi because of the unusual premise, but is also a solid detective show. If you get HBO, It's worth the watch. I've only seen the first season. As I don't have HBO at the moment, I don't know if season 2 is available yet.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 09-26-2020 at 01:46 PM.

We've caught several of those Nordic shows and enjoyed them. A really quirky on was on HBO titled "Beforigners."
    It's listed as Sci-Fi because of the unusual premise, but is also a solid detective show. If you get HBO, It's worth the watch. I've only seen th first season. As I don't have HBO at the moment, I don't know if season 2 is available yet.
    Not yet...afaik. Quirky is right...

Moss anyone?

It's also available on Amazon through BritBox. I watched it when it originally aired on PBS Mystery and later Masterpiece Theatre. IMHO years ahead of its time. The original Touching Evil was another good one. Acorn is another service that has a lot of the Brit crime shows.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

What sets "Prime Suspect" apart from the usual British detective series, is it's not like one of these redundant and fusty shows where each episode has 437 possible suspects for the killing of the vicar...from the little old lady raising show orchids, to the eccentric cat collecting professor of archaeology at the local university.

"Prime Suspect" is more like the better American police procedurals wherein the investigations have much more semblance to reality, as opposed to a game of "Clue", we watch the interrelationships between the main characters develop, and the fallout that occurs from success, lack of success, alcoholism etc. And the good guys, and bad guys...are much more believable.

Most British detective series, though "charming", are like taking sleeping pills and follow the exact same pattern for misdirection and sleight of hand.

Just my opinion, of course. I said I was picky when it comes to these.

I like to watch a procedural where the choices made resonate with what I'd have done or attempted in the same circumstances. They are few and far between when it comes to high marks.

Against my better judgement after the fiasco that Ip Man 2 was, I finally watched Ip Man 3. And I'm glad I did! This one was a great Kung Fu movie! The Chinese must have been studying their Goebbels between making the two movies as they toned the propaganda way down to where one could actually enjoy the movie. Also helped that the western actors could actually act decently (and yes, this includes Mike Tyson, not that he had a huge role - but not having seen him act in anything before I wasn't sure of what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised).

Speaking of Kung Fu movies, The Man of Tai Chi is the first time Keanu Reeves has directed a movie. Not a lot of Tai Chi in this one, it's more generic Kung Fu. The writing is not exactly well done, the pace in which the main character takes on fights seems pretty hectic and, well... This movie is done a few years earlier than Ip Man 3, so perhaps that is the reason the propaganda is still in the extra chunky mode. Or the writing just is piss poor for no other reason than the competence of the writer. Who knows? Girlfriend complained that the dialogue seemed to be written by someone autistic and the acting was wooden, but really... It is a Chinese martial arts movie directed. by. Keanu. Reeves. What else could one possibly expect? Anyways, if you're looking for a good Kung Fu movie, definitely see Ip Man 3 before this one. But The Man of Tai Chi has plenty of fight scenes too, so... Meh. It's watchable with the right mindset. (Ie. it's a Kung Fu movie, it's not even supposed to have a logical plot, good acting and other stuff like that. Bring on the fight scenes!)

User Tag List