Page 520 of 819 FirstFirst ... 20420470510518519520521522530570620 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,200 of 8187

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Watched "Jo Jo Rabbit" on HBO last night. I'm not exactly sure what I think of it. I wouldn't call it a comedy, though there are several very funny moments.

It was worth the watch, but I'm unclear on what it was trying be. Perhaps too many things.

Rosco
    I recorded it to the DVR a couple weeks ago but have been reluctant to view it. Still not sure I will.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    It's lightweight, unrealistic (only shoot people in the legs?) and doesn't get to more interesting moral or policy questions until a few seasons down. However, if you just let yourself go for the ride, you'll have fun; we did through all its seasons.
    I'm curious about Person of Interest since it sounds like where Jonathan Nolan first tried out some ideas that he revisited for season 3 of Westworld.

I'm wondering if he executed them better in POI, because S3 of WW was a bunch of interesting ideas that didn't go anywhere too interesting.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I'm curious about Person of Interest since it sounds like where Jonathan Nolan first tried out some ideas that he revisited for season 3 of Westworld.

I'm wondering if he executed them better in POI, because S3 of WW was a bunch of interesting ideas that didn't go anywhere too interesting.
    Well, you do have some similar ideas playing there (minus the robots) but 1) they don't really start playing with them until the later seasons (the first season is really a "bad guy of the day" episodes set up, but it sets up the characters and the show nicely), 2) it's a network tv show which means they'll only go so deep for "family hour", and 3) it's easier to have "plucky team of rebels" vs "big bad govt/big bad giant company" to drive the action then "let's think about the implications about what we invented and maybe shoot some bad folks".

As I said, it's lightweight fare; watch to be entertained by the characters (of which they do come up with some fun odd ones for its cast over time), by the situations and by the action. If you want more in depth stuff, you'll be better off by starting a discussion with friends and family after watching an episode with said friends and family.

We had fun with it here and did become attached to characters and wanted to see "what will happen next?", which, frankly, is the most you can ask of a network tv show.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Well, you do have some similar ideas playing there (minus the robots) but 1) they don't really start playing with them until the later seasons (the first season is really a "bad guy of the day" episodes set up, but it sets up the characters and the show nicely), 2) it's a network tv show which means they'll only go so deep for "family hour", and 3) it's easier to have "plucky team of rebels" vs "big bad govt/big bad giant company" to drive the action then "let's think about the implications about what we invented and maybe shoot some bad folks".

As I said, it's lightweight fare; watch to be entertained by the characters (of which they do come up with some fun odd ones for its cast over time), by the situations and by the action. If you want more in depth stuff, you'll be better off by starting a discussion with friends and family after watching an episode with said friends and family.

We had fun with it here and did become attached to characters and wanted to see "what will happen next?", which, frankly, is the most you can ask of a network tv show.
    Thanks, I'll keep my expectations low if we watch.

Black Mirror has really spoiled me for solid explorations of serious ideas in SF. Westworld S1 was at that level, S2 was decent but not as focused, and S3 was a whole bunch of ideas that weren't explored in any depth and plot points that just sorta happened. No real believable character development. Only the acting really kept it interesting.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

@Wondering Beard is right on the money with his explanation. However, the show did hold our interest enough that the wife and I watched the whole run (and I have been much more judicious lately about giving up on shows that don't hold my interest. Life is too short to keep watching bad TV).
    Last edited by Guerrero; 08-18-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What did you think of how the CIA was portrayed? Anything is believable to me. Both the allegations and the thought someone would make false allegations.
    @TheNewbie

I had the opportunity to watch the program...and it breaks my heart.

You asked me what I think of how they portrayed the CIA. Well, I hate to say it but I can believe it.

It resonates with my experience on the case I referenced earlier where the CIA was involved in moving loads to the U.S. in concert with the Venezuelan National Guard. That case also involved Cuban assets at the Cuban government level, (I know because I smuggled one into the U.S. with the permission of the U.S. Attorney), and when the opportunity was presented to plan the interdiction of a ship from Cuba carrying drugs that were transshipped from the island, the heads of the two agencies I was working for declined to do so citing various b.s. reasons that made no sense at the time. (This preceded my partner and I discovering the role of the CIA in the matter. Then it made a lot more sense. See the Mike Wallace 60 Minutes interview with the director of DEA back then.)

So, although I didn't work on the Camarena case, and have no specific investigative knowledge, (it preceded my case by about four years, though mine also occurred during the period when Bush senior transitioned from VP to president)...I can say it has the ring of authenticity to it from my prior experience. And in similar fashion, it was squashed from on high.

Site Supporter
    Birds of Prey - Harley Quinn.

Absolutely stupid, couldn't get through it.

Richard Jewell was an okay movie but I don't think it really did the story justice. I hope for an in depth documentary one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Richard Jewell was an okay movie but I don't think it really did the story justice. I hope for an in depth documentary one day.
    I agree that it could have, and should have been better. Mentioning Eric Rudolph at the end as an afterthought was disappointing as well. (That story, itself, would make an interesting documentary, and not necessarily great PR.)

We're watching "Bojack Horseman" on Netflix. The writing is awfully good.

Even though I expect good writing, the writing for season 5, episode 6 "Free Churro" is one of the best yet. In it, Bojack is eulogizing his dead mother. Will Arnett's delivery is perfect. It is hilarious and heartbreaking.

I usually don't enjoy animated shows. The animation just dilutes the comedy and cleverness. "Bojack Horseman" is an exception.

Rosco

User Tag List