Page 52 of 819 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Fearless (Netflix) - A six part documentary series on professional bull riders. I've only seen the first one thus far, but it was very well put together. The slow motion footage may be some of the most cringe-inducing things I've seen in years - absolutely brutal. It does have a lot of subtitles (presently, the best riders in the world are from Brazil), and I would have appreciated a voice over option for the foreign language parts. If you have any interest in rodeos, it's worth a try. If you've never seen bull riding, check it out - it's insane.

Line from rodeo attendant upon the first appearance of a Brazilian cowboy: "I don't know what this Mexican is doing, but he's going to get himself killed."
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Went to the theater to watch Hell or High Water (Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges, Ben Foster) last night.

Solid performances all around. Beautifully shot, if you consider West Texas beautiful.

It has an old-school Western feel to it, with very typical Western themes and pacing. If you're into that sort of thing, you'll probably enjoy this one.

This is time I've been in a cinema since The Reverent, I'm glad I did.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Went to the theater to watch Hell or High Water (Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges, Ben Foster) last night.

Solid performances all around. Beautifully shot, if you consider West Texas beautiful.

It has an old-school Western feel to it, with very typical Western themes and pacing. If you're into that sort of thing, you'll probably enjoy this one.
    This! It was quite good. Especially Jeff Bridges.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    This! It was quite good. Especially Jeff Bridges.
    The scene in the diner, between Jeff Bridges, his partner and the battle axe of a waitress is priceless.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I hope I haven't missed it in this long thread, but I want to recommend an English series on Netflix, Broadchurch. Well acted, quite a gripping story, focusing on the effects of a crime in the web of relationships of a small community.

Excellent first season, and overall good second season. It's a crime story, two of the main characters are "coppers" but you do not see a single firearm in the entire show.

I'm two episodes into Gomorrah and I'm hooked. My wife suggested it to me after reading this WSJ article...

‘Gomorrah’ Is a Bleak Look at Crime and Punishment in Naples

Of course, she knew this description would especially appeal to me...

For the look of the series, director Stefano Sollima says he had in mind the work of Michael Mann, especially the American filmmaker’s 2006 “Miami Vice” and 2004 “Collateral.” “I particularly liked the way Michael Mann shot Los Angeles by night,” says Mr. Sollima. “In a similar way, what I wanted to do with ‘Gomorrah’ was portray this strange atmosphere that exists in Naples, with all the neon and concrete and cement everywhere.”

You also have to pay attention and work a bit harder to watch this series...no multitasking...

In a rare move, the show’s writers decided to use the local Neapolitan language instead of Italian. (Even in Italy the show has a subtitle option.) “Neapolitan is the language of the theater,” says Mr. D’Amore. “It means that this TV show looks and sounds real because the actors were able to use a language they are used to thinking in.”

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Finished the third (and Final, apparently) season of Defiance , the quirky future dystopian mini-series on the Sci-Fi channel.

It's ok; they created a fairly believable set of alien races, set against an ongoing backdrop of scheming, double dealing and occasional heroism.

There are enough dropped story lines and weird cutscenes that overall it doesn't really work.

Which is a shame because it had potential.

2.5 out of 5.

The wife and I went to see the movie Greater at the theater.....very worthwhile.

Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/gfmygLVJETU
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    Binged watched both seasons of Narcos. Listening to mostly Spanish for 20 hours was an added plus re my ever dwindling proficiency.
    Definitely good TV.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 09-05-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'm two episodes into Gomorrah and I'm hooked. My wife suggested it to me after reading this WSJ article...

‘Gomorrah’ Is a Bleak Look at Crime and Punishment in Naples

Of course, she knew this description would especially appeal to me...

For the look of the series, director Stefano Sollima says he had in mind the work of Michael Mann, especially the American filmmaker’s 2006 “Miami Vice” and 2004 “Collateral.” “I particularly liked the way Michael Mann shot Los Angeles by night,” says Mr. Sollima. “In a similar way, what I wanted to do with ‘Gomorrah’ was portray this strange atmosphere that exists in Naples, with all the neon and concrete and cement everywhere.”

You also have to pay attention and work a bit harder to watch this series...no multitasking...

In a rare move, the show’s writers decided to use the local Neapolitan language instead of Italian. (Even in Italy the show has a subtitle option.) “Neapolitan is the language of the theater,” says Mr. D’Amore. “It means that this TV show looks and sounds real because the actors were able to use a language they are used to thinking in.”

How are you watching this? I was Roberto Saviano's bodyguard in the US. Really epic stuff as far as how deep he got with both Gomorrah and Zero,Zero,Zero.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List