Page 495 of 819 FirstFirst ... 395445485493494495496497505545595 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,950 of 8187

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Netflix? Prime? Other?
    https://reelgood.com -- Good tool to figure out what's on what. You can search individual shows to see what services they're on, or search individual services to find stuff to watch. IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes scores are included. You can also plug in the services you have access to and filter by genre and rating to browse stuff that's available to you.

Succession is available on HBO Max and HBO.

Side note--HBO is disappointing as hell. They launched a $15/mo streaming service that caps out at HD (1080P) with no HDR. So if you want to watch Game of Thrones in 4K with HDR, you have to pony up for Blu-Rays at $30 a season. They're claiming 4K and HDR is "on the roadmap". Resolution makes a big difference--4K and HD are noticeably different--but HDR is an absolute game-changer, especially in the sort of dark and action-heavy scenes that GoT trades in. Just take a look at Netflix's Altered Carbon (shot in 5K resolution) and The Witcher.

And if you subscribe to a streaming service or two, I'd strongly suggest shelling out for a TV with solid HDR performance. $800 will get you into a Sony 55" with Dolby Vision support and full-array LED backlighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Netflix? Prime? Other?
    @Bucky

We watch on HBO (DirecTV) or HBO Go (via the DirecTV log in)

As mentioned above, you can use HBO Max or HBO NOW as well...but I haven't used those apps.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The Hunt...yes, the one that stirred up such a shitstorm of controversy...wife and I both liked it. Very hard 'R' for the violence, which was gory and fun, the politics included are intentionally ridiculous with no good guys on either side. Betty Gilpin crushes her role as the unknown badass. If you liked Cabin in the Woods, you'll like The Hunt. I'll definitely catch it again once it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    https://reelgood.com -- Good tool to figure out what's on what. You can search individual shows to see what services they're on, or search individual services to find stuff to watch. IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes scores are included. You can also plug in the services you have access to and filter by genre and rating to browse stuff that's available to you.

Succession is available on HBO Max and HBO.
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. It'd be good to search a movie in one place to see where it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Bucky

We watch on HBO (DirecTV) or HBO Go (via the DirecTV log in)

As mentioned above, you can use HBO Max or HBO NOW as well...but I haven't used those apps.
    Bummer. Sounds like a good series. Don't have, nor plan on getting HBO any time soon.

All the Devils Men.

Ex-SOF guys on each side of the plot play murder tag over a stolen Soviet nuke.

Unusually brutal cqb between stone killers. When everyone is really good everyone gets hurt.

Stars Mel Gibson's son as a war junkie who can't/won't go home.

Also stars William Fichtner and the black guy from the wire who played Chris(Marlo's hitman)He steals the show as a Delta operator.

It wasn't received well but it was interesting enough, with well filmed firefights.

On Netflix.

Extraction (Netflix), Chris Hemsworth plays "generic retired operator gone mercenary" in a kidnapping rescue job in Mumbai. Character development is formulaic, but does not matter, it's not that kind of movie. High points:

+Chris Hemsworth beats the shit out of like five Mumbai street kids. Literal kids, with guns and machetes, getting kicked through the air and bouncing off parked cars. Awesome!
    +If you enjoyed John Wick's CQB and knife play, but thought the movies took too long developing the plot, Extraction is for you!
    +Presented in glorious 4K+HDR (Dolby Vision), which it makes wildly liberal use of.
    +Hemsworth makes a slick-as-fuck one-handed reload whilst CQBing two dudes.

I've not finished watching (had to get up this morning), but it ticks all the boxes. I am slightly annoyed that, like Matt Wahlberg's Lone Survivor, we are forced to watch alleged ex-SOF guys dripping in armor, mag carriers, and comms gear, but nobody can afford a rifle sling or IFAK. It's also loaded with action-heavy one-long-cut sequences, which are very neat and add a lot of excitement and visual interest, except Extraction tried to shoot every action sequence like that.

I finally binged the first two seasons of Jack Ryan over the last week or so. Really enjoyed it. Wife never really wanted to watch it, and she’s out of town, so seemed the perfect time. I don’t think she would have liked it. I found it to be kind of like Homeland but with more gunfights and a less petulant lead.

"A Most Wanted Man"...Philip Seymour Hoffman's last film, and he was very good, as is the rest of the cast, imho.

An adaptation of a story by John le Carré. An intelligent, slow burn of a movie involving competing intelligence agencies, U.S. and German revolving around a mysterious Chechen who has gained access to a large sum of dirty money from a Russian source.

Available on amazon Prime Video.

Worth seeing imho. It's rare that you can enjoy an intelligently told story without having to either suspend belief throughout the film, or eye roll the action scenes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Binged both seasons of "What we do in the Shadows." Very, very funny.

User Tag List