Page 490 of 817 FirstFirst ... 390440480488489490491492500540590 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,900 of 8168

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

"My Father's War" on Amazon. Great production values for what I assume is a low budget given how no one's ever heard of it. Cool to see a depiction of the South African border war, recommended.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Into the Badlands--AMC, Netflix. It's a Kung Fu/Western hybrid that holds up pretty well on re-watching. Upscales to 4k from HD very nicely, great colors on my Sony. Not in the same league visually as Altered Carbon, but certainly better than a lot of 4K UHD content.

The Silence--Netflix. It wants to be A Quiet Place so badly, but it's not. Formulaic monster apocalypse:

(1) ZOMG MONSTERS WHAT ARE THEY??!!
    (2) Unprepared Dad: We must evacuate in a random direction. North sounds good.
    (3) Dad's Friend With Lots of Guns: Follow me, I have guns.
    (4) Dad's Friend: My guns are useless, allow me to sacrifice myself heroically because :kids:. Make sure to leave all my guns behind, because surely they will not come in handy.
    (5) Average Housewife: Monsters have injured me, I will die without a bunch of random bottles from pharmacy.
    (6) Insane Preacher: Whutup! Even though it has been less than 36 hours since :monsters:, we have cut out our tongues and killed everyone else in our town, because everyone in a small town is two steps away from being in a torture cult. You should join us, let me make some vaguely rape-y insinuations about your daughter being fertile!
    (7) Unprepared Dad: lolno
    (8) Insane Preacher: Not a request. Behold, my insidious midnight attack using monsters!
    (9) Grandma With Cancer: Allow me to sacrifice myself heroically because :kids:.
    (10) Average Housewife: Even though it looked like I was just dying and my leg was swollen to twice it's normal size, I will now start killing cultists with a hammer because don't take my fertile daughter.
    (11) Unprepared Dad: Nobody's fucking my daughter, especially not some tongueless whacko cult leader.
    (12) Insane Preacher: Srsly, why'd we cut out our tongues? That wouldn't make anyone quiet, just unintelligible.
    (13) Unprepared Dad: I have found inner strength to be more like my big, strong, dumb friend who is dead. I will now smash this preacher's skull into jelly with a shotgun butt.
    (14) Unprepared Dad: Okay, north.
    (15) Daughter Who Is Deaf: Look how well we have adapted to the New Normal of Flying Sound Monsters! Also, I am now strong, even though I contributed absolutely fuck-all to my own survival this entire time, when even my 9-year-old brother killed that guy with the spear. And look, my pissant boyfriend from New Jersey survived and somehow walked all the way up here!
    (16) Pissant Boyfriend: Even though she is stronger than me, I am totally fucking her.
    (17) Unprepared Dad: Goddammit.

The dude that played the preacher was actually pretty good, but he also had literally zero lines. Stanley Tucci played Stanley Tucci, he worked with what he had. I would not bother watching it, just get A Quiet Place instead.
    I have a feeling your review is more entertaining than the film.

And I am trusting that feeling. Thanks!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I have a feeling your review is more entertaining than the film.

And I am trusting that feeling. Thanks!
    Heh. To be fair, it was lukewarm. Not bad, not really good. It tried to have moments of cerebral horror, but they were very much of the done-before sort. It wouldn't be bad if you literally just needed to have something to do for 90 minutes, but if you have Netflix, there's better stuff:

Cabin In the Woods leans into the color-by-the-numbers campy horror, breaks the fourth wall, and is really quite a good creature feature.

The Walrus is a masterpiece of the grotesque.

It Comes At Night is a much better family-based horror movie.

The Apostle even had a much better torture cult

Bird Box is a better apocalypse. The Cloverfield movies are all solid (well, maybe not the first, need to re-watch). The Silence attempted elements from all of these movies, but didn't do any of them as well. Hell, The Descent was even better at "monsters from caves"--and is by far the scariest movie on this list. Also, I think I watch too many movies.

Gallipoli on Prime.

Excellent war drama. Vicious and gruesome trench fighting.

I'd rank it with BoB.

Highly recommended.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Gallipoli on Prime.

Excellent war drama. Vicious and gruesome trench fighting.

I'd rank it with BoB.

Highly recommended.
    Is this one one from the early 80s with Mel Gibson, or a newer one I’m not aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Is this one one from the early 80s with Mel Gibson, or a newer one I’m not aware of?
    New miniseries on Netflix.

That incident from Gibson's movie is shown here also.

Uncut Gems was absolutely terrible. The story isn't the least bit interesting, none of the characters are likable, and I can't for the life of me figure out why this movie received the praise that it did.

Really enjoyed Counterpart on Amazon Prime. I think it is especially interesting to watch with COVID-19 ongoing. Recommended viewing.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Uncut Gems was absolutely terrible. The story isn't the least bit interesting, none of the characters are likable, and I can't for the life of me figure out why this movie received the praise that it did.
    Because it has Adam Sandler in it doing a semi-serious role, so we have to jizz ourselves over it.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Disney+ has added an option for the original 4:3 aspect ratio of older episodes of 'The Simpsons'. I will be re-watching those for the many-th time.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List