Page 337 of 819 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387437 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 8187

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Site Supporter
    Captain Marvel - pretty good Marvel comics movie. Pretty good recruiting commercial for the Air Force for female fighter pilots. Before the movie they had an AF ad for such.

Pretty neat Glock 19 sized ray guns for concealed carry.

Watching Grand Sumo again. The guy who probably will win the tournament, Hakuho, is something of a jerk.

I watched both the HBO and ABC documentaries about Theranos. Good stuff if you dig schadenfreude.

Moral: once you get money from one rich dude, you can get a whole bunch of money from other rich dudes.

And old men are easily duped by young women.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 03-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I watched both the HBO and ABC documentaries about Theranos. Good stuff if you dig schadenfreude.

Moral: once you get money from one rich dude, you can get a whole bunch of money from other rich dudes.

And old men are easily duped by young women.
    What's the sense of having money otherwise?

(Other than knives, guns and flashlights?...oh, and bourbon, single malt and cigars. And beer. And books.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Need something to watch this weekend? True story... The Congo, 1961. A company of 150 Irish Soldiers on a UN peace keeping mission are besieged buy a force of 3000 rebels being led and trained by French mercenaries (aka Foreign Legion). This Netflix original was a good tale. Lots of FAL and Bren action for the gun nerds. A true story most have never heard of.

Will the defenders end like the Alamo, or like Rourke’s Drift? Log into Netflix and see.
    #DatFAL

He has the flip up rifle grenade sight, but we don’t get to see any rifle grenades. But plenty of FALs, Carl Gustav SMGs, Bren Guns, and Enfields...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

True Detective, series 3.

Overall - Very good. Much better than 2. Not quite as good as 1.

I felt it sagged in the middle episodes though. I literally could not make out some of the dialog. Maybe it was me.

I did like all the characters. They were imperfect people, and had their hangups. And I felt the interplay with the ongoing case was good. After all that happened between Hays and West, as detectives, they shared their old age with genuine respect and fellowship.

I did not like the three ongoing timelines. It was hard sometimes to work out what was happening when in the next scene.

The location choice was interesting, I had no idea the depth and breadth of the scenery in NW Arkansas was so beautiful.

But it was worth watching and held my attention until the last episode.

3.5 out of 5 stars.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-22-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix) - This is one of the most watchable documentary series in years. Even if you're not a race fan (we only have a passing interest ourselves), the scope and spectacle of F1 is really something.

Definitely worth checking out. Might even make you a fan of the sport.
    I really liked this, probably because it spent zero time on Hamilton vs Vettel or Mercedes vs Ferrari and instead focused on the rest of the teams and the lesser known drivers and their behind the scene struggles.

Well done.

Site Supporter
    Continuing my foray into childish movies (as my wife points out): Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Pretty good animated superhero movie with some emotional depth.

I find (flame on) that many suggest warrior/gun movies as virtue signaling of our membership in the p-f universe. It's like the books read column in the Chronicle of Higher Education - no one suggests a fun mystery or even a science book, it's always a social justice book. Virtue signaling by academics.

Watch some silly stuff and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Continuing my foray into childish movies (as my wife points out): Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Pretty good animated superhero movie with some emotional depth.

I find (flame on) that many suggest warrior/gun movies as virtue signaling of our membership in the p-f universe. It's like the books read column in the Chronicle of Higher Education - no one suggests a fun mystery or even a science book, it's always a social justice book. Virtue signaling by academics.

Watch some silly stuff and relax.
    Or, it could be that's what people like and they find super hero movies to be lame as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Or, it could be that's what people like and they find super hero movies to be lame as fuck.
    You had me at lame as fuck. (I hate super hero movies.)

Personally, I used to do the Chronicle of Higher Ed. crossword weekly or biweekly, pride myself on being well read on the classics and philosophy, but as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't diminish the legitimacy of enjoying the "Bosch" novels, or even Silva's "Gabriel Allon" series.
    Last edited by blues; 03-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Or it could be both. Would you post that your favorite is a ROMCOM movie on a list like this and it made you laugh and cry?

I love the Gabriel character. Best international spy books out there and they have a good emotional character development. The horrible injuries of his first wife and child, establishing a new family, etc. - could bring tears to your eyes when he goes to visit her in the care facility. NO big descriptions of latest Zombo X-19 round fired from a Gombo 99 sniper rifle filling up two pages.

I read the Chronicle every week. It had an interesting job tip if you do an on-line interview from home. Don't have a gun target in the back of you with prominent holes in the heart and head. Made me laugh as the TX good old boys in my department took me out shooting as they wanted to manly test the NYC boy. Haha - piece of cake. Another faculty member thought they were going to kill me and I was going along as I was dominated by them. What a surprise for them.

In fact, in another job column, the author asked for fun incidents on your interview and I mentioned the shootout - which he included in the article.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 03-23-2019 at 01:07 PM.

User Tag List