Page 297 of 812 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347397797 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 8111

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    His book The Force was just on sale on iBooks for a couple bucks, I liked it. I really know squat about the inner workings of LE, and even less about NYPD in particular, but it was pretty good.

Speaking of cops, I just watched Den of Thieves and it was damn good. The shootout at the end was great, and gun handling was pretty good. The bad(der) guys did a pretty slick peel too. Definitely worth watching.
    "The Force" was the first of Winslow's books I read (to the best of my recollection). I enjoyed it but my eyes were pretty worn out from the eye rolling at the stereotypes and cliches.

I thought the Mexican cartel books, overall, were superior efforts and were much closer to the mark he was trying to hit, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    "The Force" was the first of Winslow's books I read (to the best of my recollection). I enjoyed it but my eyes were pretty worn out from the eye rolling at the stereotypes and cliches.

I thought the Mexican cartel books, overall, were superior efforts and were much closer to the mark he was trying to hit, imho.
    Winslow is great plane/pool/beach reading. I started with The Winter of Frankie Machine (still waiting for the movie adaptation starring DeNiro). Power of the Dog was better than The Cartel - we'll see how The Border stacks up when it comes out. Personally, I didn't care for The Force.

A bunch of his books are set in San Diego and share characters - Savages, The Life and Death of Bobby Z, The Dawn Patrol, The Gentlemen's Hour, The Winter of Frankie Machine...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Winslow's older stuff is great, too...grunge noir, perhaps? Long Walk Up the Water Slide, While Drowning in the Desert & Way Down on the High Lonely come to mind.

Watched the original Back to the Future with the wife and kids. It's still a heckova entertaining movie.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Seal Team is becoming a soap opera with guns. I’m done with it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

American Gods

I liked it. It has a very slow pace and unusual narrative style. It also has some "No you're not going there yep you did" moments.

S2 is still a year away though.

Season 1 one Black Sails was pretty good. Flint's monomaniacal pursuit of the treasure galleon kind of gets old. Silver is a hoot. He's your role model if being an amoral charming fast talker is your goal.

Jack Ryan the TV Series: I've watched about half a dozen episodes and the plot has gotten more and more predictable every single episode. I think I'm just about done with this one (although the girlfriend might want to watch the rest of the season).

Watched "The Little Drummer Girl" on AMC. Six part miniseries.

Why I bothered to watch it in its entirety is anyone's guess. I suppose it's true that hope springs eternal.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Watched "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" on Netflix. A couple of standout vignettes accompanied by good acting, but not all six "episodes" in the movie were of equal interest. Worth it for the ones that were.

I liked Buster's episode. I liked James Franco's episode. Didn't like the Thespian one. Then, after the Girl got Rattled I was too full of despair and turned it off to watch Narcos in Mexico for a mood boost. :O Fuck.

[only a couple episodes in with Michael Pena's Kiki character. But knowing where it's headed, not sure I'll return or not.]
    Last edited by JHC; 11-27-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Just finished The Little Drummer Girl. Ultimately...I'm mixed. Too long, and slow in places, with the occasional odd directorial choice. Florence Pugh is excellent as Charlie. Overall, not as good as The Night Manager, but still smarter than most television series. I hope they continue to make these John Le Carre adaptations.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List