Page 124 of 817 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224624 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 8169

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Unless he's 5'11, 120lb blond hair and enjoys wearing skirts, I doubt it.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?p=184819
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    And that was before CGI. Imagine what could be done now.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Aren't the original graphic novels of French origin? France is one of the many countries on this planet with paramilitary law enforcement organizations, and with military style rank hierarchies.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    I had no idea it was of French origin, which makes the agent and rank thing work. Le sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    I had no idea it was of French origin, which makes the agent and rank thing work. Le sigh.
    Or they could be Belgian, continental Western Europe in any case. The people who published comics, back then at least, had writers and artists from all over Western Europe working for them. Also, using military ranks in a law enforcement/intelligence agency wasn't unique to France back in the day, though it was common there.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Sonic Highways from Dave Grohl and HBO

I hated Nirvana, but I've always been a Dave Grohl fan. I have the honor of having grown up in the same area that Dave Grohl(somewhat tenuously) is from. Warren, OH is in my back yard and was my stomping grounds before Dave was famous. While he didn't "grow up" here he, never the less acknowledges Ohio as his birth place and treats us with his humble personage often on "Dave Grohl Day". He truly is a star in every sense of the word.

The HBO series, Sonic Highways gives insight to the creativity and down right fucking genius that is Dave Grohl and the driving force of the Foo Fighters.

Check it out, You won't be disappointed. Even if you don't like Punk Rock, Grunge or POP music.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Watched Boondock Saints for the first time in a few years- its a really fun movie, entertaining throughout. Lots of Beretta love throughout the movie.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

The Proposition. Best western in recent memory by far, IMO, and this may be bold but already one of the all-time greats. I re-watch it every year or two, watched it the other day so I would be in compliance with the spirit of the thread. I think it's an almost perfect movie. It's also pretty thought provoking. I like to use it as an example to get people thinking about the existence of truly depraved individuals, and the importance of being vigilant and capable. Technology may change but human nature remains. I don't think anyone here is unaware of these things, but this movie does a better job of illustrating it than any other that comes to mind.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Inside Job (Netflix) - An interesting look into what caused the 2008 financial crisis that tanked the world's economy. It did a pretty good job explaining what ultimately led to the crisis, and a lot of word jumbles make more sense to me now. I think it's worth a view, but I'm reluctant to sign off on it for two reasons: a) I don't know enough about finance to tell if its recounting is accurate or not, and b) It ambushes a number of folks during interviews, which always makes me a little suspicious of the director/producer's motives. I'm not saying a good ambush isn't revealing, it just strongly suggests a bias on the part of the documentarian.

Seeing this documentary did remind me of a Hollywood movie that sounded interesting, but that I skipped out on, just because of my "Hollywood always fucks up the story" attitude. Based on a grand sample of one, I decided maybe Hollywood didn't always fuck up everything and decided to give this movie a try. I'm glad I did.

The Big Short (Netflix) - I haven't had this much fun with a movie in many years. It's a movie about a group of folk that realize the 2008 financial catastrophe was coming and who decided to exploit it. It has an all star cast, including Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt, and many others you'll recognize.

Before you make any snap judgements about a finance dramedy, consider this: it was directed by Adam McKay. That's the guy that directed Anchorman, Talladega Nights, and Step Brothers, amongst others. The approach McKay took to explaining detail was unlike any other I've ever seen. Instead of awkward scenes of exposition packaged as organic conversation between characters, McKay intentionally breaks the fourth wall.

His explanation of sub-prime mortgages? Delivered directly to the audience by Margot Robbie in a bubble bath (she doesn't go full 'Wolf of Wall Street,' but her performance is funny none-the-less). McKay's explanation of CDOs? Delivered directly to the audience by Anthony Bourdain, using an apt cooking analogy. The film even cops up to when it's not matching the truth, which is something I've never seen in a Hollywood adaptation before.

I was dubious of some of the film's crazier moments, so I picked up the book the movie was based on, The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis. Assuming Lewis's book is true to life, the movie follows the book closely.

The biggest change is Steve Carell's character 'Mark Baum.' That character was based on a man named Steve Eisman. The portrayal of the character, and his background, were true to the book, but there was some creative license taken with the source of the character's angst, which I suspect was to facilitate ease of story-telling. Otherwise, Carell's portrayal matches Eisman's personality perfectly.

Of the crazier things from the movie that happened in real life: major players actually were introduced to one another by things as innocuous as a wrong number phone call, and walking dogs. Eisman really did get up in the middle of a no Q&A presentation, scream at the presenter, take a phone call in the middle of his rant, and then walk out. And a member of the group really did meet a stripper that had five mortgages, but that happened in Vegas, not in Florida.

Overall, a great one-two punch for an evening of amusement. I'll be rewatching 'The Big Short' over-and-over, the same way I've watched 'Deepwater Horizon' over-and-over.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Overall, a great one-two punch for an evening of amusement. I'll be rewatching 'The Big Short' over-and-over, the same way I've watched 'Deepwater Horizon' over-and-over.
    You had me...right up until Marky Mark. (No, I haven't seen it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You had me...right up until Marky Mark. (No, I haven't seen it.
    You haven't... read the full post I linked to. (I know you haven't read it.)

User Tag List