Page 222 of 819 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272322722 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 8187

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Black Lightning. First season on Netflix. I watched four episodes before writing this review.

The good. I liked some of the themes. For example, the title superhero is a divorced father of two and the show explores the tension between protecting your family and protecting the community. I liked that the show considered race through a more complicated lens than Black people are criminals or Black people are downtrodden.

The bad. The acting is wooden. The criminals are incompetent. The inability of people to identify the superhero's secret identity when he visits them in both roles (superhero and civilian) in the same day is non-credible. Plot inconsistencies. The apparent acceptance of underage alcohol/drug usage. The sidekick is a tailor with an unexplained secret lair, unexplained technological wizardry, and the ability to close his shop while conducting surveillance.

The ugly. Special effects.

The verdict. Lost interest. It didn't get better. Don't bother.

Watched Ed Norton & Anthony Hopkins in Red Dragon on Netflix last night for the first time ever. I got into it perhaps due to the Hannibal Lecter story and Norton & Hopkins were very compelling. Stayed up later than I wanted to watching so it sucked me in.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Watched Ed Norton & Anthony Hopkins in Red Dragon on Netflix last night for the first time ever. I got into it perhaps due to the Hannibal Lecter story and Norton & Hopkins were very compelling. Stayed up later than I wanted to watching so it sucked me in.
    That's a good one. Ralph Fiennes was a decent creeped out villain as well.

There's another Lecter movie from 1986 called Manhunter that's pretty cool too, if you haven't seen it (and can find it). It has an 80's detective movie feel so not quite as dark, but still pretty decent.
    Last edited by critter; 05-10-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

... double post
    Last edited by critter; 05-10-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    There's another Lecter movie from 1986 called Manhunter that's pretty cool too, if you haven't seen it (and can find it). It has an 80's detective movie feel so not quite as dark, but still pretty decent.
    It's a Michael Mann film, with an excellent cast. I actually prefer it to Red Dragon which felt overly gothic to me but that's just my opinion and we all know what that's worth.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    It's a Michael Mann film, with an excellent cast. I actually prefer it to Red Dragon which felt overly gothic to me but that's just my opinion and we all know what that's worth.
    It also has an awesome soundtrack.

I’ve been binging Rick and Morty lately. It’s like they reached into my brain and made a cartoon, so I don’t understand why it made it past the pilot.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I liked the books.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I just finished season one and started season two of The Frankenstein Chronicles on Netflix. Sean Bean has always been a favorite of mine and he does a great job in this. A bit of a strange twist on the tradition Frankenstein as Mary Shelley is one of the characters post Frankenstein(the novel).

Definitely worth watching but keep your eyes and ears open, you don't want to miss any seemingly small detail as they all come around later.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 05-10-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Miami Vice era Mann too...also a Jim Zubiena cameo (passing the Glaser safety slugs to Graham).

Name:  016%u00252BJim%u00252BZubiena%u00252Bas%u00252BSpurgen.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  29.4 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

"Last Flag Flying" on Amazon prime. An excellent movie. Not a feel good movie, but excellent.

Rosco

User Tag List