Page 679 of 820 FirstFirst ... 179579629669677678679680681689729779 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,790 of 8191

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Out of the 4 or 5 movies after T2, Salvation is my least disliked of them because it didn't try to be something it wasn't. Genysis and Dark Fate are just a mess, they're campy and play too heavily on tropes associated with the franchise.
    I thought that The Sarah Connor chronicles was the most interesting thing to come out of The Terminator franchise after the first two movies. The low budget made them actually try to write a little bit of a story rather than just having robots do backflips through fireballs for an hour and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I thought that The Sarah Connor chronicles was the most interesting thing to come out of The Terminator franchise after the first two movies. The low budget made them actually try to write a little bit of a story rather than just having robots do backflips through fireballs for an hour and a half.
    I highly agree!!!! I’m still pissed that for one, they cancelled it and two, they didn’t even allow them to properly end it. They made two full seasons but they ended the second season thinking they’d be making another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Just finished "Matrix Resurrection." Too long for my taste. The fight and chase scenes just went on forever. And even by the end, I still wasn't sure who was who. The constant omages to previous films got old after a while.

Name:  Matrix.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  13.0 KB

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I have some reservations about 'Tokyo Vice', but am cautiously optimistic after the first episode. I enjoyed Jake Adelstein's book (anyone who likes old-school journalism or true tales of organized crime would probably enjoy it), so I hope the show does it justice.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

12 O'clock High. Probably hadn't watched this for at least 20 years. Perhaps doesn't have the impact of Saving Private Ryan or a number of others, but imagine the appeal of this movie when it first aired in 1949. Imagine climbing in those B-17s time after time waiting for your luck to run out.

The Imitation Game, the 2014 movie about Alan Turing and the Enigma project in WWII, on Netflix.

Absolutely outstanding. As a computer nerd, I enjoyed it immensely. I thought Benedict Cumberbaugh did an excellent portraying the complex life Turing led, interwoven with the story of how the code was cracked. It was interesting, educational, and very well done.

Solid 4 out of 5 stars.

The Imitation Game.

I have a somewhat different view of the film. This is a review I wrote elsewhere:

Just watched "The Imitation Game", a film based on Alan Turing and his work at Bletchley Park. There have been documentaries and plays on this subject before, as well as the fictional "Enigma" movie, based on the excellent Robert Harris book.
    The performances are spot on. In particular Benedict Cumberbatch is totally believable as Turing. Keira Knightley comes across as an English Rose; Mark Strong and Charles Dance also give outstanding performances.
    Where the film disapoints is the actual story of the work at Bletchley. Hollywood, once again, plays fast and loose with historical fact.
    The first niggle comes when the police interview Turing, with one being introduced as "Detective Nock" In England it would be Detective Constable, or, Detective Sergeant; the title "Detective" is an American writer's mistake.
    The film would have us believe that Turing worked for two years, without success, designing and building his machine, single-handed and against opposition from his boss and colleagues, before achieving any decoding breakthroughs.
    In reality, the Government Codes & Cipher School [GC&CS] had success before the war even started, and when Turing formally joined in 1939 he was getting results within weeks.
    The film fails to mention the work of the Polish cypher bureau, who employed a team of mathematicians to attack the Enigma machine. GC&CS was given all of the Polish research, together with a working Enigma machine, instructional manuals and blueprints for the machine, which the Poles called a bombe, to speed up the decryphtion process.
    The film has Turing write to Churchill because he is thwarted by his team leader Hugh Alexander. In reality a letter was written to the Prime Minister, to respectfully ask for increased resources, and the letter was signed by all senior staff, including Alexander.
    The film's makers have no idea about wartime security. Those engaged in secret work were exhorted to "keep Mum" because "loose lips sink ships" Bletchley was, arguably, the most secret place, and security was taken extremely seriously, with discussion between personnel working in different huts being discouraged. Yet in the movie, secret work is discussed in pubs and cafes, and in one scene Turing confronts Commander Denniston and rants about Enigma, in the courtyard, while squaddies are loading stores into a lorry.
    Stewart Menzies, Chief of SIS, played by Mark Strong, is seen as a frequent visitor to BP, and has lots of interaction with Turing. It is doubtful they ever actually met. In one bizarre scent Menzies is seen searching a flat. The idea that "C" would be out in the field doing routine work is silly. As chief of a SIS his time would be taken up with more important matters, such as briefing Churchill, or, trying to undermine SOE.
    The film is well made, and enjoyable. It's a pity that it is more fiction than fact.

The North Water on AMC+

I'm only three episodes in and it already feels like a full season (in a good way). Think Deadwood on a British whaling ship. Colin Farrell is a long way from his Sonny Crockett days.

As an 80s and 90s kid who spent countless hours skateboarding and reading Thrasher magazine, Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off was a pleasant trip down memory lane. I didn't know very much about his personal life or his backstory. I wasn't a very good skateboarder but I enjoyed it.

Site Supporter
    Spiderman: No way home.

Pretty good Marvel movie. Was worth the $6.95.

User Tag List