Page 710 of 812 FirstFirst ... 210610660700708709710711712720760810 ... LastLast
Results 7,091 to 7,100 of 8111

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    First 2 episodes. 2 hours and 13 minutes in and...almost nothing has happened.
    Galadriel has Plot Armor and gets "Promoted" to the Undying Lands because She Won't Listen to the Men!
    Elrond can't remember birthdays or weddings.
    The High Elf King is a smarmy, venal politician.
    Harfoot halfling girl is a serial child endangerer because she's Plucky and Defiant!
    The only good looking female in New Zealand has to behead a goblin because The Men Won't Listen to a Girl!
    Knife Ears the elf gets lost in a tunnel.
    Men are Racist to the Elves.
    Ooh! Mystery Meteor Man is Mysterious!

Sigh.
    It comes across as a 1990s cable TV show. Plodding, linear with ginned up suspense, jump scares and dullness.
    3/4 of a billion dollars to the same guys who tanked GOT. Best con in history?
    The effects are good.
    The music is lame, generic and incredibly obtrusive.
    The acting is cutesy and constipated.

They've literally gone the length of a feature film-and 25% of their run time-to establish nothing. The only names I know are from the movies.
    But, but! Girl power! Inclusion! Patriarchy!
    There is only one "action" scene. A giant troll smashes 3 or 4 elf warriors and Galadriel saves the day without bothering to look at the troll whilst swinging, while doing 1970s HK kungfu flourishes with her giant plastic sword and not breaking a sweat.
    I've opened mail with more intensity.

Amazon has suspended online rating because they got "review bombed" with negativity. Uh huh.
    Unless something happens in the next episode(a plot, some acting, character development, some storytelling...) this might go down as the most expensive flop in history.
    The budget for the Lord of the Rings trilogy was 93 million.About 160 million today. Think about that.

Lest ye think I'm anti Strong Womyn...I'm a devoted fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and will fight anyone about it. The trope can easily be done well...just not cloaked in wokeness or simple incompetence.
    If there's one thing Hollywood has unshakably established, it's that their storytelling sucks out loud when they try to imitate original (successful) content. They can occasionally succeed when they directly adapt, but that's frequently marred by a proclivity to try to "make it theirs", and its not a guarantee. When they try to borrow the name/concept and write their own, you can pretty well bank on "I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    If there's one thing Hollywood has unshakably established, it's that their storytelling sucks out loud when they try to imitate original (successful) content. They can occasionally succeed when they directly adapt, but that's frequently marred by a proclivity to try to "make it theirs", and its not a guarantee. When they try to borrow the name/concept and write their own, you can pretty well bank on "I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."
    And multiply that by a factor of 10 when they put an agenda before the story.

Not been watching much but have been watching Season 6 (last one?) of Better Call Saul, and it has been getting pretty good (IMO Season 5 drug on in the middle), glad I paid the ransom on Prime to watch it now.

Lat night MrsMMc stayed with her elderly mother, so I wanted to watch something she wouldn't care if she missed. So I watched The Grey Man on Netflix. Enjoyed it for long enough that I couldn't shut it off when it got dumb. After it was over I watched Trailer Park Boys for a while so I would feel a little smarter in the morning.

Dogfights: Guadalcanal

Great series and one of the best episodes about the Cactus Air Force. They're all on YouTube.

Better Call Saul tied up everywhere quite nicely. I'm a big fan of Rhea Seahorn.

The Rings of Power in spite of all the gatekeeping rage over forced diversity and identity politics I wasn't really bothered by any of that. What does offend me is the overall mediocrity of the entire thing. It just simply isn't any good. The dialog is ridiculous. Almost every line sounds like something out of a day calendar. The acting is stilted and sophomoric. The CGI is just that: lots of CGI. The reason Jackson's trilogy still holds up after more than twenty years is, the CGI was a supplement to lots of practical effects. The near total reliance on CGI gives the production values a real video game look. Not good. It's better than the Wheel of Time, which looks like a junior college project, but that's a low bar. How can you dump that much money into something and come up with such a meh result?

House of the Dragon : I'm enjoying this one. It's nothing more than a pseudo medieval fantasy soap opera and it knows it. It's not trying to be anything it's not. The Amazon style virtue signaling is thankfully absent. The weapons and armor are an improvement of Its predecessor.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The Northman

Dark fever dream of hatred, part Conan(by way of Howard-not the movies), part Beowulf, part Hamlet.
    All hallucinatory nightmare.
    The most evocative Norse mythological imagery I've ever seen, from shrieking Valkyries and grim Norns to Berserker fury.
    Unapologetic and horrific.

Unhinged

A woman becomes the target of road rage and her attacker gets her phone while she's at a gas station and starts targeting her family.

First off, thumbs up. Quality movie overall. Good premise and acting. Some plot holes but I was able to look past them and watch the movie for the most part.

I had a more in-depth review typed up but I realized it might be better to go into this movie as fresh as possible. It's not an amazing movie but it's worth a watch if you have Amazon prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Latest Rings of Power - major yawn. Get on with it.

Five Days at Memorial on Apple+ TV.

https://tv.apple.com/us/show/five-da...7z70teq1p0pixn
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Unhinged

A woman becomes the target of road rage and her attacker gets her phone while she's at a gas station and starts targeting her family.

First off, thumbs up. Quality movie overall. Good premise and acting. Some plot holes but I was able to look past them and watch the movie for the most part.

I had a more in-depth review typed up but I realized it might be better to go into this movie as fresh as possible. It's not an amazing movie but it's worth a watch if you have Amazon prime.
    I watched it awhile ago when my wife was watching. I liked it. Cautionary story about road rage.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List