Page 709 of 819 FirstFirst ... 209609659699707708709710711719759809 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,090 of 8187

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Site Supporter
    I'm watching a strange anime called KanColle. The usual anime young girls transform into girls with Japanese naval armaments attached to them, according to classes of WWII warships. They surf on the top of the oceans on their feet. They fight was seem to be militarized whales led by evil women.

Based on some game. Weird. Free on crunchroll. Since I like navy things - I'll watch it as it is raining and nasty out.

Site Supporter
    Season 4 of West World.
    Meh ... pretty well jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. Apparently there are many worlds, some of which are virtual. The characters seem to be spread out across these worlds and I could never figure out which character was in which world, or even is one of them was the "real" world. It just seemed to make the whole thing pointless.
    And they didn't even fully utilize the best thing going for the show, Evan Rachel Wood. She needs that blond hair back.

Site Supporter
    About the anime show, you have to know something about the ships to get it. The girl who is the Yamato, runs a hotel also. The Yamato was sometimes called the Hotel Yamato as it never got into real combat, BB to BB. Part of the plot is trying to get her out to sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    About the anime show, you have to know something about the ships to get it. The girl who is the Yamato, runs a hotel also. The Yamato was sometimes called the Hotel Yamato as it never got into real combat, BB to BB. Part of the plot is trying to get her out to sea.
    You definitely need to check out the classic Space Battleship Yamato 2199 if you have not yet seen it. Anime from the 2010s I believe. I remember it was good. Follow up to the original anime from the 70s
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    You definitely need to check out the classic Space Battleship Yamato 2199 if you have not yet seen it. Anime from the 2010s I believe. I remember it was good. Follow up to the original anime from the 70s
    The original from the 70s was an awful lot of fun.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Elvis was fun, but exhausting: I doubt there were a dozen shots in the entire movie that lasted for more than seven seconds, and I'm not exaggerating - whoever edited the film must have aged precipitously in the process. I thought Austin Butler was phenomenal.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

First 2 episodes. 2 hours and 13 minutes in and...almost nothing has happened.
    Galadriel has Plot Armor and gets "Promoted" to the Undying Lands because She Won't Listen to the Men!
    Elrond can't remember birthdays or weddings.
    The High Elf King is a smarmy, venal politician.
    Harfoot halfling girl is a serial child endangerer because she's Plucky and Defiant!
    The only good looking female in New Zealand has to behead a goblin because The Men Won't Listen to a Girl!
    Knife Ears the elf gets lost in a tunnel.
    Men are Racist to the Elves.
    Ooh! Mystery Meteor Man is Mysterious!

Sigh.
    It comes across as a 1990s cable TV show. Plodding, linear with ginned up suspense, jump scares and dullness.
    3/4 of a billion dollars to the same guys who tanked GOT. Best con in history?
    The effects are good.
    The music is lame, generic and incredibly obtrusive.
    The acting is cutesy and constipated.

They've literally gone the length of a feature film-and 25% of their run time-to establish nothing. The only names I know are from the movies.
    But, but! Girl power! Inclusion! Patriarchy!
    There is only one "action" scene. A giant troll smashes 3 or 4 elf warriors and Galadriel saves the day without bothering to look at the troll whilst swinging, while doing 1970s HK kungfu flourishes with her giant plastic sword and not breaking a sweat.
    I've opened mail with more intensity.

Amazon has suspended online rating because they got "review bombed" with negativity. Uh huh.
    Unless something happens in the next episode(a plot, some acting, character development, some storytelling...) this might go down as the most expensive flop in history.
    The budget for the Lord of the Rings trilogy was 93 million.About 160 million today. Think about that.

Lest ye think I'm anti Strong Womyn...I'm a devoted fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and will fight anyone about it. The trope can easily be done well...just not cloaked in wokeness or simple incompetence.

Site Supporter
    My kid and I used to watch Star Blazers. I had a friend from Hong Kong who would stop buy with the Space Cruiser Yamato videos and we would watch them and he would translate! I have some of the Japanese Yamato perfect manuals still.

Unfortunately, he wanted to immigrate to the USA before the takeover and was denied, despite being a computer scientist. Great immigration policy!

About the Rings of Power - yeah, I agree with much of Feudist. Lots of eleves in bathrobed pontificating. Lindsey Graham would fit in with them. Ouch.

Sauron in the meteor? Hobbits are stupid - I would not being helping a guy whose utterances kill the plants around him.

Since the elves have fireworks and thus some explosive powders, time for the dwarves to start turning out muskets at least.

I will watch as I was an LOTR fan. As a HS student, I screwed up a chem test - my old man - STOP READING ABOUT THOSE GODDAM ELVES AND STUDY!

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Elvis was fun, but exhausting: I doubt there were a dozen shots in the entire movie that lasted for more than seven seconds, and I'm not exaggerating - whoever edited the film must have aged precipitously in the process. I thought Austin Butler was phenomenal.
    Baz Luhrmann is like that
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    First 2 episodes. 2 hours and 13 minutes in and...almost nothing has happened.
    Galadriel has Plot Armor and gets "Promoted" to the Undying Lands because She Won't Listen to the Men!
    Elrond can't remember birthdays or weddings.
    The High Elf King is a smarmy, venal politician.
    Harfoot halfling girl is a serial child endangerer because she's Plucky and Defiant!
    The only good looking female in New Zealand has to behead a goblin because The Men Won't Listen to a Girl!
    Knife Ears the elf gets lost in a tunnel.
    Men are Racist to the Elves.
    Ooh! Mystery Meteor Man is Mysterious!

Sigh...
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

User Tag List