Page 194 of 819 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294694 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 8187

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    If this is true - don't know. It was by a seemingly legit expert on such things. It's a problem when folks are stuck in a box.
    Sounds about right. If I recall correctly from the books I've read, the higher-ups couldn't decide between a carrot or stick approach, and the inconsistency resulted in a lack of coherency on the ground. The negotiators were largely aware of the perception issues, but the leadership was indecisive and wouldn't follow through.

Granted, those books were written many years after the fact. I just bought the series on Amazon and am really curious to watch it.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    '71 on amazon

This British film is a sleeper gem, at least here in the USA. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. More thriller than action, but just the right amount of action to compliment the storyline.

IMDB summary:
    "In 1971, a young and disorientated British soldier is accidentally abandoned by his unit following a riot on the deadly streets of Belfast."

That's really all you need to know going in. No heavy hitting stars. No over the top CGI. Just a story... and a pretty damn good one.

I give it an 8.
    Looks like a great movie. I think the lead character is the male lead in Godless on Netflix.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Four out of six planned episodes of Waco have been released thus far, and the show is really well put together. Some of the events depicted didn't occur in the order they happened, but that's probably because condensing a nearly two-month-long siege into six hours is tricky.

The tactical folks (both ATF and HRT) aren't portrayed especially graciously, but I'm not sure that's entirely unfair. They're not depicted as blood-thirsty idiots, just focused in a completely different direction than the negotiators and largely unwilling to accept that a carrot might be the better solution. Other aspects of law enforcement are entirely sympathetic to the viewer, and it's clear they want a peaceful solution.

The depiction of the Davidians might be a scooch too light-handed. It's true that plenty of the Davidians were decent people, and quite a few didn't even like Koresh, they were just mislead and believed in him. But the show has thus far not portrayed things like their corporal punishment of children, bizarre dieting restrictions, et cetera. The siege is only just kicked off at the end of episode four, so they haven't had the opportunity to depict some of Koresh's erratic behavior that occurred as the situation drug on - I suspect they will.

The Davidians' wrangling to facilitate Koresh's sexual proclivities is interesting. It's so normalized with them it almost doesn't even register with the viewer they're conspiring for Koresh to rape teenage girls. It isn't until a few episodes into the series, when the negotiation team is trying to sow dissension amongst Koresh's followers, that the ugly contrast is brought to light.

At any rate, I've really enjoyed it thus far and am looking forward to see the final episodes. If you're not very familiar with Waco, there's a documentary on Hulu we watched that was pretty good. I believe it was "Truth and Lies: Waco," from ABC, but don't quote me on it. There's also some American Experience documentaries on Netflix about Ruby Ridge and the Oklahoma City bombing that might help to fill in some contextual holes.

Easily worth the purchase.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

We watched a ten episode series on amazon (prime) called "Absentia".

Interesting premise, somewhat unevenly executed and acted. I think it could have been really good with a bit more effort and it does require more than a bit of suspension of disbelief.

Still, not terrible if you're in between shows or series.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

My wife wanted to go see Hostiles, so yesterday thats what we did. Best movie I have seen in a long time. Made me homesick for parts of AZ.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by babypanther View Post
    My wife wanted to go see Hostiles, so yesterday thats what we did. Best movie I have seen in a long time. Made me homesick for parts of AZ.
    My wife wants to see Hostiles (or thinks she does) because she likes a good Western, but I've heard the beginning is pretty heavy. She's not one for intense depictions of realistic violence -- so without giving any spoilers how intense is this movie in that regard? I may end up watching it by myself as with most movies I watch.

She liked Open Range and Tombstone but The Revenant not so much (as examples).

Site Supporter
    The wife and I just binged two season's of "The Colony" on Netflix. It was pretty good. I hope it comes back for another season.

Site Supporter
    Black Panther with wife and 18yo son. Much enjoyment. We like most things Marvel, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    My wife wants to see Hostiles (or thinks she does) because she likes a good Western, but I've heard the beginning is pretty heavy. She's not one for intense depictions of realistic violence -- so without giving any spoilers how intense is this movie in that regard? I may end up watching it by myself as with most movies I watch.

She liked Open Range and Tombstone but The Revenant not so much (as examples).
    Opening scene is a homestead massacre, to include two daughter and a newborn becoming casualties after seeing their father killed and scalped. The rest of the movie is equally as bloody.

Ive been on scene to a few deaths, some worse than others, and the baby part got to me. I still highly recommend this film.

User Tag List