Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good until it isn't - Gun shipped to FFL via FedEx missing

Good until it isn't - Gun shipped to FFL via FedEx missing

Looking for review and advice.
    I purchased a gun through Gunbroker. Had a great interaction with the seller, and he shipped the gun a timely manner once he had verified payment. I've got a copy of the shipping label sent by the seller. Last Friday (19 April), gave the FFL a heads up that the gun was marked out for delivery and he should see it that day. Early afternoon comes around and I see the tracking status is updated as "delivered". I go to the FFL's shop. He double checks his guns in for transfer and it isn't there. He states he hasn't signed for a gun from FedEx even though the FedEx site says it was signed for. The FFL owner says it wouldn't be the first time a FedEx driver signed for it and left it on the truck so he could finish his route on time, and states he's had problems with them. His recommendation was to follow up on Saturday. I check with the neighboring shops and another nearby FFL on the odd chance it was an error in delivery. No dice. I give the seller a heads up. Seller speaks to receiving FFL and gets same version of the story I did. I start a case with FedEx, even though I am not the sender nor the FFL addressee. Saturday, I followup and there is still no delivery to FFL. I followup with FedEx; per their initial investigation, they claim it was delivered and state the FFL has been a problem in the past.(Of note, the name listed as signing for it is 'aroberts'; the receiving FFL is a C Roberts). They state they are elevating the claim to a 'coordinator'. I let them know I was concerned as I don't like my name tied up with a missing gun (not to mention the cost...it ain't a HiPoint) and it's going to become an ATF issue. I spoke with the seller; he and I are on the same sheet of music, and he agrees that if the gun doesn't turn up by Monday afternoon, then he will have his (sending) FFL file a missing gun report with the ATF.

So I am at the point where I am certain the issue is between FedEx and my receiving FFL. I've never had a problem in the past like this with FedEx, with respect to a firearm. I've never had a problem with the Receiving FFL and have done gun related business through his shop before. Further, the Receiving FFL is a PawnShop who has been in business for over a decade in the area (coastal NC). I know of a case several years ago where he not only refused to buy suspected hot items, but contacted our county Sheriffs' Department to report the suspicious activity. His involvement led to an arrest. I've personally seen him decline to take items and ask people to leave when he had concerns about proper ownership of the materials being discussed. Also, a simple search doesn't bring up a litany of complaints, allegations etc. about his business, so it appears he is still operating legally and normally.

Taking both FedEx and the Receiving FFL at face value...they can't both be right. Is there a benefit to a receiving FFL claiming non-delivery for a few days, either for licit or illicit purposes? I get the potential for theft on either party's side, but is there another angle potentially at play?

In any case, if the gun doesn't show tomorrow by a reasonable point, I'm going to have to rely on ATF involvement. Any current and relevant advice, recommendations, other resources I should consider? I am not law enforcement and I do not work for a shipping company, so I may not know what I don't know.

I'd be lying if I didn't read the thread and immediately think it was about those turds at GBRS Douche Group trying to wreck another employee's life...

Sorry to hear about your situation. Wondering if @rcbusmc24 might have some advice, being an FFL in your region.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Long gun or pistol?

Which shop in coastal NC?

Was the sender a FFL or a individual?

Pistols should be coming via Fed Ex Air, I get long guns and other stuff delivered via Fed EX ground. UPS brings everything on the same truck. If the shop receives regular deliveries then the driver knows your name, all of my delivery guys do... packages regularly get lost in the system as well and then just show up. There is no benefit to any FFL to try to keep a transferred in item. It was logged out by the transferring FFL to them so in a trace the next contact would be that shop. We used to have a UPS driver that would try to deliver before we were open regularly, then leave a tag on the door and take our stuff back to the Hub. It was a pain for a bit until he finally learned that we were not open until noon.

The package tracking systems are the bane of my existence when it comes to receiving transfers because they go off of projected delivery times, not actual deliveries. This is also one of two reasons why we don't do same day transfers and tell people to come in the next day, the other is because we get a lot of stuff and it takes time to get it into the books, computer and tagged.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

FedEx lost a gun that Walther was shipping back to me. I wasn't there to sign for it the day and time he tried to deliver it. It was found by me weeks later at the local Dollar General. No idea how long it had been there. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you. For that and many other poor experiences I avoid FedEx whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Long gun or pistol?

Which shop in coastal NC?

Was the sender a FFL or a individual?

Pistols should be coming via Fed Ex Air, I get long guns and other stuff delivered via Fed EX ground. UPS brings everything on the same truck. If the shop receives regular deliveries then the driver knows your name, all of my delivery guys do... packages regularly get lost in the system as well and then just show up. There is no benefit to any FFL to try to keep a transferred in item. It was logged out by the transferring FFL to them so in a trace the next contact would be that shop. We used to have a UPS driver that would try to deliver before we were open regularly, then leave a tag on the door and take our stuff back to the Hub. It was a pain for a bit until he finally learned that we were not open until noon.

The package tracking systems are the bane of my existence when it comes to receiving transfers because they go off of projected delivery times, not actual deliveries. This is also one of two reasons why we don't do same day transfers and tell people to come in the next day, the other is because we get a lot of stuff and it takes time to get it into the books, computer and tagged.

-Pistol, shop in Onslow (until I know more, I'm keeping the specifics out of the public conversation), individual sender. Thanks for the feedback.

I had a similar situation last summer with UPS. GB deal. Seller was an FFL in Omaha and I contacted a local FFL here that I've done business with before. He sent his license to FFL in Omaha for delivery.

FFL here sends me an email and says he closed his shop and he won't take delivery. Shotgun was already shipped when he did that. Instead of UPS sending it back they dropped it off at business next to the dealers shop. I know this because Omaha FFL tracked it and told me where it was. He suggested I go pick it up if I wanted it. I did that and transferred using another local FFL.

Real can of worms because of my dick head dealer and UPS. Shit can go sideways with these internet deals in a hurry.

Always insure your purchase when you have a firearm shipped. If your FFL said it wasn't delivered I'd go with stolen in transit. Especially a pistol.

Hope this gets resolved.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-21-2024 at 08:17 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Edit. I misread. The individual sent the gun through a FFL
    Last edited by theJanitor; 04-21-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Have the sending account open the inquiry with FedEx. You, as a third party, and the receiving FFL are of no consequence to FedEx - the shipper is their customer. Provided the shipper sent it FedEx Express (as they should have) it will be in FedExs hands proper and should be easy for FedEx to figure out.

In the past 15 years, not counting covid, my shop has had only a handful of shipping issues with UPS and USPS (send/receive) as well as FedEx (receive). In all cases where we had UPS start fumbling a delivery a quick call (as the sender) explaining it was a firearm and we would need to contact the ATF if they declared it lost seemed to work wonders. We have not yet had a firearm that we shipped end up lost. And we have shipped thousands of firearms.

I hope it shows up on Monday - it is amazing how sometimes a *missing* delivered package gets delivered the next day.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by 1More View Post
    -Pistol, shop in Onslow (until I know more, I'm keeping the specifics out of the public conversation), individual sender. Thanks for the feedback.
    Well....We are a shop in Onslow county, not a pawn shop tho. But I did just make a phone call to make sure I wasn't missing a pistol... so not us ...Whew. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Well....We are a shop in Onslow county, not a pawn shop tho. But I did just make a phone call to make sure I wasn't missing a pistol... so not us ...Whew. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow.
    Thanks - let me know what shop you're at. I like to spend money supporting local business in the area, especially if you're a positive actor here on PF.

User Tag List