Page 735 of 820 FirstFirst ... 235635685725733734735736737745785 ... LastLast
Results 7,341 to 7,350 of 8192

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Here's several random shows I've watched recently. I've been noticing much higher quality foreign shows in the last few years from several Nordic countries, and a few from Canada. The scenery is usually fantastic. Also, often the musical scores are entirely instrumental and, combined with the scenery, make for an excellent atmosphere.

Fortitude - Icelandic detective adventure that takes an X-Files turn. This one might take a bit to get going but, trust me, stick with it! One of the best shows I've seen in years. Soundtrack is on point. Great characters and character development. Tons of subplots. Scenic as hell. Eventually turns to pure anarchy (The Sheriff's character arc is pure gold). Think of The Thing, Icelandic X-Files edition.

Trapped - Another Icelandic detective adventure. Well-produced, decent characters, well worth a watch. Only maddening thing for me is most LE not carrying guns, particularly in austere environments. I understand this may be the reality in parts of Iceland but, I can't respect it.

Cardinal - Great show. Very watchable detective drama. Nothing new or innovative, just reliable and good storytelling, good characters, scenic, and worth checking out.

Occupied - Most ridiculous show I've seen in awhile. Well-produced, scenic and fairly watchable. Quite maddening in that it's like 24 but, if Jack Bauer was working for the terrorists. Everything is flipped 180. Those supporting the Russian invaders are seen as good and those that want to defend their country are seen as evil. LOL This show is a masterclass in the many forms of cowardice in front of the enemy but, somehow it's still a watchable trainwreck, probably because of the production quality.

Echo 3 - Off books hostage rescue + Delta in Columbia / Venezuela. Decent little mini-series. Good action, gear, visuals, etc. Some character annoyances but, overall worth a watch once.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Totally binged yesterday on this British series from the Peaky Blinders folks:https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10405370/

As a Boomer USAF vet heard about the SAS assault Prince's Gate on live telly whilst TDY at RAF Mildenhall I'd heard of the unit but knew little about it.

This series is about the creation and early ops.

Some of y'all of different gens may not like the British Metal soundtrack, but it was perfect for me.
    Did you watch this on Amazon Prime, or with an MGM+ subscription?
    It’s weird, because the IMDb link shows S1 as free on Prime, but only the first 2 episodes seem available.
    Something wrong with my Prime setup?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Did you watch this on Amazon Prime, or with an MGM+ subscription?
    It’s weird, because the IMDb link shows S1 as free on Prime, but only the first 2 episodes seem available.
    Something wrong with my Prime setup?
    I

Something popped about MGM+ about a 7 day trial for $5.99 after 2nd episode. Was so stoked I approved it right then and. Went to see else was on it after we finished the SAS shows and MGM+ wasn't showing in the apps. It was late so crashed, gonna consult w my youngest son/tech rep later today...nothing abt MGM+ at bank acct yet
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can suspend disbelief for so long, but not forever. Which is an issue with enjoying most any crime drama / police procedural, etc. I'd much rather watch Lucifer and know it's fanciful than something presented as quasi-realistic but with gaping logic holes.
    I feel the same way about legal dramas. There's at least one disbarment-level ethics breach by thirty minutes into an episode.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Realistic cop shows wouldn't last. 1 episode of action, 3 of paperwork doesn't enthrall an audience.

Even if it was dead nuts realistic, I wouldn't watch. I want escapism, not more real stuff. I'd much rather watch magic space cowboys fight zombie moths or some such shit than watch what I can see out my office door.
    Barney Miller?

Never mind. I see someone's already mentioned it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Three Pines on Amazon prime. Alot better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Barney Miller?

Never mind. I see someone's already mentioned it.
    From the 1990s, Homicide:Life on the Street was worth watching. Using an ensemble cast, and mixing single episodes with arcs that spanned episodes or seasons they kept the plot armor thin and emphasized the relentless grind of being the Murder Police in the 90s.
    Later, the same showrunner did The Wire. Both are set in Baltimore. The Wire was more of a complete look at the street level of the drug war between cops and criminals, and the corrosive effects on the community, politics and society at large.
    Each season focuses on one aspect and how it interacts with everything else: Law Enforcement, unions, politics, drug addiction and child gangsters
    Very good characterizations of cops, police leadership(sic), politicians and drug dealers. The "changing of the guard" between the more adult drug gangs of the 80s and 90s to the feral children of the turn of the century is vividly portrayed.
    It's worth watching simply for the character of Omar Little, a man with a code who lives by robbing drug dealers.

If you are not watching The Last of Us on HBO Max, you should start. Immediately. 3rd episode was some of the most beautifully-made TV I've seen in a long time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    It's worth watching simply for the character of Omar Little, a man with a code who lives by robbing drug dealers.
    Omar is one of the best characters ever written, as far as I'm concerned. That show was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    From the 1990s, Homicide:Life on the Street was worth watching. Using an ensemble cast, and mixing single episodes with arcs that spanned episodes or seasons they kept the plot armor thin and emphasized the relentless grind of being the Murder Police in the 90s.
    The book on which the show was based was a real eye-opener.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List