Page 629 of 820 FirstFirst ... 129529579619627628629630631639679729 ... LastLast
Results 6,281 to 6,290 of 8195

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    ETA: It give a date of 2033 for a current event. I laughed at the old flip phones the characters are using. I checked IMDB and see it was made in 2009. Still, with the time to watch.
    A lot of things go in circles... By 2033 it might be retro-trendy to use flip phones. Hell, they use them on Star Trek and that's like way in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Kingdom - Did I mention it? Korean zombie series in the age of match lock rifles. Pretty good series with political intrigue as well as fast zombies. The Koreans get their act together much quicker than the fools in the Walking Dead show.
    I loved Kingdom. My utter lack of familiarity with period Korean culture made it refreshingly easy to suspend disbelief. The zombie portrayal is not camp, and not too cliche, and the mystery of how the zombie problem arose made for a great story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Watched "Payback" on some streaming service. I figured it would be a remake of the Mel Gibson movie, which is a fine film (especially the director's cut). It wasn't. It sucked. Russian mob movie that doesn't even do that well. I didn't care about any of the characters. No one to cheer for. No one to boo. Watching paint dry would have been better.

Also watched "Killer Joe". It was okay, but I expected more from Willian Friedkin. This seemed more like David Lynch having a lazy day. Great cast. I'd recommend it, if you have a couple hours to kill.
    It was better than the Lee Marvin version.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Free Guy: better than I expected it to be. Enjoyable family fair, the grandkids enjoyed it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It was better than the Lee Marvin version.
    That would be "Point Blank". Lee Marvin, Angie Dickenson (at, perhaps, the pinnacle of her hotness), and an N-Frame S&W!!!!!

To each his own, I suppose.
    Last edited by Rosco Benson; 08-16-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Watched the first two episodes of "Reservation Dogs" on Hulu. The series is starting off strong. Lots of dark humor and sight gags.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Free Guy: better than I expected it to be. Enjoyable family fair, the grandkids enjoyed it.
    Tried to talk the family into seeing it last night... Went out for dinner instead..
    I'm liking Reynolds' self-effacing characters in his recent flicks... This one looks good for some more laughs without the woke BS.

Thanks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

That would be "Point Blank". Lee Marvin, Angie Dickenson (at, perhaps, the pinnacle of her hotness), and an N-Frame S&W!!!!!

Point Blank is the superior effort. Mel Gibson acts like a badass. Lee Marvin was a badass.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The two leads were better in Point Blank, but the movie didn't keep my interest. Both versions had N frames. Mel's "crooked cops..." line was wittier than anything in Point Blank.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I finished The Serpent on Netflix with my wife. The whole series was just as good as the first episode. Great acting, solid writing, and well filmed. The story would seem poorly plotted if it wasn't just following real events, but it does, so instead it just comes across like the frustrating LE/diplomacy clusterfuck it was. The anachronic order is occasionally confusing, and sometimes seems unnecessary, but it works to push sympathy for Sobhraj's victims.

I'm just gonna say Charles Sobhraj's M.O. as a criminal was so repetitive that having a fictional crook do it in a script would lead to cries of "unrealistic." But that dude stuck to his preferred methods hard. Sooooo arrogant. Completely vile. No redeeming qualities at all.

The Dutch diplomat who became obsessed with Sobhraj shows that you don't need to be LE, or fictional, to have "McNulty syndrome," bad. My wife and I loved his Belgian accomplice, Paul, who tells him he's gonna destroy his own career at the very beginning, and repeatedly puts a .38 snub and a box of cartridges front of the Dutchman when he is offering a solution to their problems. Even in crowded restaurants.

Thanks to @Hot Sauce for reminding me that Mr. Robot existed. We just completed the final season, very belatedly, last week as well. Every bit the equal of The Sopranos, The Wire, and Breaking Bad, and probably the best cinematography of any of that illustrious group. Some elements of the conclusions of the big conflicts were a bit unsatisfying, IMO, but what worked more than made up for it. I would caution first-time viewers that it took my wife quite a while to come to that opinion, but now she wants to rewatch the whole series. We probably will soon.

I'm not done with it, but it's far past time I gave a shout-out to one of the best kid's shows of all time, the Australian Bluey. About a mischievous blue heeler, her sister Bingo, and her parents Bandit and Chili.

I could write an essay on this show. Kids love it, parents are often getting very different messages than the kids while watching along. It's damned realistic about child rearing, especially for a show with talking dogs.

It also combines humor with excellent moral lessons for kids. If I could set up a mass watching of anything for all of PF, it would be the Library episode of Bluey. The line that communicated the moral of the story made me burst out with peals of delighted and very surprised laughter. Harsh. I had to suppress a "holy shit" since I was watching it with elementary kids.

Also, you gotta love a kids show where the adults drink wine and dad pukes (off camera, just once) after eating a mass of hideous food Bluey and Bandit make for their parents.

It's a modern classic. Unfortunately, only viewable on Disney in the states.

One last thing I showed to some kids at work:

Too bad they haven't done live performances like this on kid's TV for awhile. Steve and the boys get going so hard they have trouble stopping.👍👍👍👍
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List