Page 539 of 819 FirstFirst ... 39439489529537538539540541549589639 ... LastLast
Results 5,381 to 5,390 of 8187

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I just selected the audiobook on Audible (pretty sure unabridged, most of them are).

And shit, since I have not been traveling I have six more prepaid credits that evaporate in six days, Looking for other recomendations along those lines.

I also have done all the Bosch books.
    If you like the Bosch books, I think the "Inspector Rebus" series from Irish author Ian Rankin is worth checking out. I'm about 12 books into the series, more or less, and enjoy it. (Some more than others, but it's a good series, you can enjoy the development of the writing and the fleshing out of the character, etc.)

Give it a try.

Also, @mmc45414, if you want to read a great novel about the Vietnam war, get "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes. You won't be disappointed. Trust me.
    Last edited by blues; 10-20-2020 at 08:07 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you like the Bosch books, I think the "Inspector Rebus" series from Irish author Ian Rankin is worth checking out. I'm about 12 books into the series, more or less, and enjoy it. (Some more than others, but it's a good series, you can enjoy the development of the writing and the fleshing out of the character, etc.)

Give it a try.

Also, @mmc45414, if you want to read a great novel about the Vietnam war, get "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes. You won't be disappointed. Trust me.
    I went ahead on Matterhorn and have a a few of the Rebus books highlighted, thanks!

There are also a few Bosch books I hadn't pulled down yet and I can do those, but I will give it a few more days in case you or any others have more thoughts. They stay in the library indefinitely, I just have to get them done in the next few days. These were how I passed the time on driving trips when I was traveling for work. But some of the narrating on the Bosch books did get a little too monotone and instead of keeping me engaged and alert it was having the opposite effect. I have been avoiding listening to the news lately so I should start listening at home.

I went ahead on Matterhorn and have a a few of the Rebus books highlighted, thanks!

There are also a few Bosch books I hadn't pulled down yet and I can do those, but I will give it a few more days in case you or any others have more thoughts. They stay in the library indefinitely, I just have to get them done in the next few days. These were how I passed the time on driving trips when I was traveling for work. But some of the narrating on the Bosch books did get a little too monotone and instead of keeping me engaged and alert it was having the opposite effect. I have been avoiding listening to the news lately so I should start listening at home.
    Give an idea of your primary categories of interest...it may help think of something.

I just selected the audiobook on Audible (pretty sure unabridged, most of them are).

And shit, since I have not been traveling I have six more prepaid credits that evaporate in six days, Looking for other recomendations along those lines.

I also have done all the Bosch books.

The Operator by Robert O'Neill - guy who shot Bin Laden. I liked it more than I expected to. Really funny in parts.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Watched "The Outpost" on Netflix this evening. If any of you who have seen the movie haven't read the book by Jake Tapper, you absolutely need to.
    (His CNN connection notwithstanding.)
    We watched it this weekend. I enjoyed it, and agree with you about the book. It's excellent, explains the background in much more detail and makes the battle more clear.
    I think someone else mentioned it up thread, but I was also struck by how much Scott Eastwood looks and sounds like his dad. If had on a cowboy hat instead of a helmet he could easily be Rowdy Yates or Josey Wales.

Just watched The Outpost on Netflix.
    Watched "The Outpost" on Netflix this evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    We watched it this weekend. I enjoyed it, and agree with you about the book.
    Last night combatting boredom on the stationary bike I watched this movie review:

The guy that isn't Mat Best is Jariko Denman who at the end mentions he was a technical advisor on The Outpost. When they are discussing Blackhawk Down he mentions that the scene when they are fast roping took a minute twenty, and Orlando Bloom shouldn't look quite so fucking surprised when it it his turn.

Give an idea of your primary categories of interest...it may help think of something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The Operator by Robert O'Neill - guy who shot Bin Laden. I liked it more than I expected to. Really funny in parts.
    I guess I like listening to the stories of what cool guys were doing while I was selling software, so following up on The Outpost is right on point. And The Operator was one of my favorites, I think O'Neil reading his own story added a lot of great inflection. When he says "Fuck That!" you know what he means.

I also really enjoyed Mike Ritland's Trident Warrior Dogs, and have gone on to really enjoy his interview podcasts.

ETA: I would copy a screen shot of my library, but when I review it there might be a few titles I may have added when a bit tipsy that I am not so proud of...

@mmc45414

I would recommend "On Desperate Ground" by Hampton Sides...but actually pretty much any of the books by Sides are excellent. He is very, very good.

In a similar vein, I highly recommend the work of Nathaniel Philbrick. I've read pretty much all of his historical work and it is quite engaging.

Both these authors write non-fiction which grips the reader like the best fiction. The late Stephen Ambrose had a similar knack.

I think you can find a great deal to interest you in these authors' works. I highly recommend them.

Site Supporter
    An interesting change of pace from my usual default to from "high rpm/low IQ" choices.

2019 Documentary re Dolly Parton. I had no idea she had been "in the business" so long. She seems extremely knowledgeable re creating and maintaining her brand. I suspect she was way ahead of her time re her business acumen. Over 3000 songs written. She does not take herself too seriously at all while clearly projecting her obvious musical/business chops so to speak.

Two words: Consummate Professional.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81204624

I enjoyed it.

Give it a try.

I'll never be forgiven for my brain fart, I knew something was wrong when I typed it, but Ian Rankin is a Scottish author, and I hope if he ever reads this it won't mean we couldn't share a dram of Laphroaig in friendship. My mind must be slipping.

I'll second Hampton Sides, Ghost Soldiers (the rescue of POWs in the Philippines during WWII) is one of my favorites.

It's been mentioned several times but Outlaw Platoon by Sean Parnell is fantastic.

User Tag List