Page 815 of 820 FirstFirst ... 315715765805813814815816817 ... LastLast
Results 8,141 to 8,150 of 8195

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Where’s Daryl?.
    Not one of my favorites, his character was too Hollywood red neck for me. Poor stupid white trash corrupted by his racist evil brother, but when he spends some time with a diverse group of good people he is shown the light and becomes a good guy. A little too cliche for me. His brother was actually a better, more realistic and interesting character.

My feelings on the show are different from most, most see Ricks group as being the good guys. I see them as being the bad guys, every place they went they brought death and destruction. Thriving communities quickly went to hell as soon as Rick and his ‘good’ guys show up.

Forgot about Shane he was a good interesting character too, I always thought the group would have done better if Rick never showed up and Shane stayed their leader.

Site Supporter
    The Color of Magic - based on the DiscWorld novels. Mildly amusing. Watching the 2nd season of the Bleach anime revival. Shane - Shane on the L Word was more interesting. LOL.

I lost interest in the Walking Dead awhile in all its forms. Walk around, meet some nuts, get away, meet some Zombies, somebody gets killed. Repeat.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I have watched the first three episodes of "The Gentlemen," on Netflix. So far it's very good. I haven't seen the movie, and have no idea if seeing the movie would affect someone's enjoyment of the series.

This movie rated "Mom's not home."

Younger Offspring and I had some "dude time," so we watched the original "Predator" (which he had never seen). This movie still holds up as one of the best action movies ever (certainly one of the best of the 80's action movie hey-day). There really isn't a slow moment in the whole movie; the characters are always doing something that's either building to action, or action-action.

Some quotes from us:

YO: Is that "him"
    Me: Arnie?
    YO: Yes
    Me: Yup
    YO: He's jacked
    Me: Yes, yes he is

YO: Is that CGI?
    Me: Nope, practical effects.
    YO: Really?!? Practical effects?
    Me: Yes
    YO: Is *that* CGI?
    Me: Practical effects
    YO: Is that...
    Me: Practical effects
    YO: Wow
    YO: That's gotta be CGI
    Me: This is from a time before CGI. He wore a "green suit" and they animated over him.
    YO: So it's CGI
    Me: (through gritted teeth) No it's not

YO: What does he mean "Old Painless"?
    Me: It's a friggin' mini-gun!

YO: Wow, this still holds up
    Me: Told you
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

The Good Shepherd .
    2006, directed by Robert De Niro.
    A ponderous 2 hours and 47 minutes rambling account of the early days of the CIA.
    It concentrates on the "Skull and Bones"(scene after scene after scene) and Ivy League aspect of the Agency and the implication of the arch-liberal version of the NWO paranoia. The "plot" is centered around the Bay of Pigs.

DeNiro apparently tried to channel The Silence of the Lambs for atmo and the dire orchestral soundtrack. Incredibly bloated with lengthy scenes that begin about 2 minutes too early, last about 2 minutes too long, and linger pointlessly for too long. It's like the editor lost every argument about editing. There is about a 90 minute, rather dull movie inside the blubber.
    Lots of acting.
    Damon tries to appear idealistic, naive and trustworthy but comes across as feckless and Hollywood bookish.

This is the CIA of Oliver Stone: Capital E Evil, Eviler, Evilest, manipulating a peaceful world(the Soviets aren't real threat) to serve the MIC populated solely by and for WASPS. It's so on the nose that Damon's character actually says(regarding Catholics, Italians, Irish, blacks and Jews "We have America, the rest of you are just visiting..." Then another character comments on why they never say "The" CIA: "You don't say 'The God'"

Lots of headscratching scenes, decisions and choices about characters, their arcs and dialogue.
    Waterboarding, beatings, LSD for interrogation..yawn. There are exactly two memorable scenes: the first is where a double agent gets thoroughly headshot, and the second is the unusually gut wrenching murder of a collateral character.

It took me 3 attempts, fast forwarding to every separate scene(and then fast forward through or simply skipping many scenes) to make it through.

Blech.
    Last edited by feudist; 04-08-2024 at 04:32 PM.

Ink
    2009. High concept fantasy with a mythic edge.

There is a place between dreams and reality, where archetypes of "angels" and "demons" vie over the content of mankind's dreams.
    In the contemporary waking world, a father begins to let his anger, ambition and greed tear him away from his young daughter. In the Dreamworld, a vicious war to the knife is being fought over his flickering soul.

Made for 250,000 dollars, written, directed, produced, and scored by Jamin Winans, the film substitutes imaginative concepts for elaborate effects; inventive direction and storytelling for expensive sets and costuming.

There are several amazing action set pieces. In one, a character steps into the "rhythm" of the world around him, imposes his own rhythm upon it, and like the conductor of an orchestra directs a million random butterfly effects into the desired outcome. All without a single special effect.
    Another has a visceral and bone crunching fight scene(brass knucks, metal clubs and boot stomping) playing out on an alternate plane of reality while in our world a man walks slowly down a hallway, oblivious to the desperate fight around him. The demonic "Incubi" are truly disturbing to look at, an effect achieved in the simplest way possible.

Offbeat and very unusual. A real labor of love by everyone involved.

Tracker on CBS, based on the book The Never Game. Justin Hartley (the handsome guy from This is Us) plays Colter Shaw, a "lone-wolf survivalist with extensive tracking skills who travels the country as a 'rewardist.' Shaw makes his living aiding law enforcement and private citizens in exchange for reward money."

I had hoped it would be good, but no. It's not bad, merely "meh." If you've seen one CBS crime-drama, this fits exactly into that mold.

What galls me, though, is the gun-handling: at least Shaw doesn't use a tea-cup grip or similar nonsense (which I still see on shows from time to time), but I swear no one carries with a round in the chamber - there's always a dramatic racking the slide after drawing the gun, which leads me to say (every frickin' time), "He [or she, let's be fair] wasn't even ready to shoot!" Add to it that Shaw carries his .45 in the small-of-the-back position (I'm not sure if he even has a holster), and I'm in danger of falling over from my eyes rolling so hard.
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Add to it that Shaw carries his .45 in the small-of-the-back position (I'm not sure if he even has a holster), and I'm in danger of falling over from my eyes rolling so hard.
    Perhaps they're just carrying on the CBS tradition started by "Magnum P.I.", where Selleck carried a .45 at small-of-the-back without a holster?

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Perhaps they're just carrying on the CBS tradition started by "Magnum P.I.", where Selleck carried a .45 at small-of-the-back without a holster?
    Possibly, but Magnum had the advantage of being awesome.
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I have watched the first three episodes of "The Gentlemen," on Netflix. So far it's very good. I haven't seen the movie, and have no idea if seeing the movie would affect someone's enjoyment of the series.
    I haven't watched the series yet (it's next on the watchlist after Shogun), but I think the movie was Guy Ritchie's best work since Snatch, and one of Hugh Grant's best roles ever. So good to hear the series is entertaining, but by all means check out the movie. I understand the 'world' of the movie and TV series is the same, but the characters are different and the plots unrelated.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List