Page 643 of 817 FirstFirst ... 143543593633641642643644645653693743 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,430 of 8169

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Who do?

You do!
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    You do!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    You do!
    Do what?!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Do what?!
    Remind me of the babe.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Remind me of the babe.

What babe?
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I watched The Shallows yesterday. Question: How do you make a movie about one woman being terrorized by a shark? Answer: You don't. That's something you shouldn't do. Don't ever do it. Because if you do, you'll have to pad it out with unnecessary and overused character backstory to make it long enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The Last Duel: Another medieval Ridley Scott effort. Better than Robin Hood, inferior to Kingdom of Heaven.

At 2.5 hours it's a bit long and slow in some areas, but well filmed. Ridley Scott seems to think western Europe was in a perpetual state of dreary winter, as once again the sun never shines on France in this movie. The plot sticks fairly close to the actual sequence of events, which we know due to this incident being extensively documented. Of course, there are changes to the characters and morals to reflect the #metoo era but in fairness, if these people were accurately depicted with total authenticity we'd find them pretty unrelatable. Scott uses a Rashomon style of pacing that presents the movie in three chapters, each from one of the three main characters point of view. I can't decide if this helps or hinders the movie, which is already a bit of a slow burn. It's not a drudge, it just takes its time.

The judicial combat is pretty well done by Hollywood standards and provides a decent payoff for the slow burn pacing that gets it there. The armor doesn't fit right and there are bits and bobs from a century down the road in evidence, that's a bit jarring to senses educated in such things. There also isn't a single hound skull or pig snout visor in evidence, which was pretty much the standard for late 14th Century armor. The half-visor things Damon and Driver wear are the worst offenders and simply ridiculous. The swords also feature blades that are a century outdated for the period. On the positive side, none of it looks cheap or shoddy and works well enough. It is nice to see armor actually working, as both combatants take some pretty serious hits that are turned by their armor, just as it would have in the period. It's also nice to see rondel daggers being used in the appropriately nasty fashion. Ever since Saving Private Ryan Hollywood has embraced the shakey cam for any kind of combat scene and it's in evidence here. This is done entirely out of laziness, but fortunately it's kept to a minimum here. Damons Cyrus Virus mullet and Afflecks Justin Timberlake style bleached hair are highly questionable choices by the wardrobe department, but not at an egregious level of WTF?

Overall I give it a 7.5 out of 10. If it weren't for those stupid visors it would probably be a solid 8. Given the run time and pacing, I think this one would be more enjoyable in a home viewing and I put it squarely in between Kingdom of Heaven and Robin hood in Scotts medieval epics. Remember, with these period pieces Scott is going for the look and feel of the old epics from the 50's starring the likes of Charelton Hesston and Robert Taylor, he's not going for accuracy on the level of Band of Brothers. He's stated this very clearly on more than one occasion, so like the others, this film should be viewed with that expectation.

It's not great, but it's not bad at all.

I saw this Saturday, with my son who thinks that Ridley Scott is a genius. I hadn't even seen a trailer on this film, so I went in with no expectations. I did hope it would be similar to Scott's "The Duelists".

Instead, I felt like the Monty Python guys were going to come riding in, clacking their coconuts, at any given moment. I hate Ben Affleck as an actor. I can barely stomach Matt Damon. Adam Driver is spectacularly awful...as always.

The decision to make the film with three chapters just forced one to watch paint dry for three coats. It's a yawn-fest in the perpetual winter of France.

I don't know enough about period arms and armor to quibble. I will say that I was rooting for BOTH participants to get killed in the duel.

The whole thing was like being stuck in a medieval festival with no exit to the parking lot. For a big-budget film from a solid director, it is perhaps the most plodding waste of time I've been subjected to.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The Last Duel:

Overall I give it a 7.5 out of 10. If it weren't for those stupid visors it would probably be a solid 8. Given the run time and pacing, I think this one would be more enjoyable in a home viewing and I put it squarely in between Kingdom of Heaven and Robin hood in Scotts medieval epics. Remember, with these period pieces Scott is going for the look and feel of the old epics from the 50's starring the likes of Charelton Hesston and Robert Taylor, he's not going for accuracy on the level of Band of Brothers. He's stated this very clearly on more than one occasion, so like the others, this film should be viewed with that expectation.

It's not great, but it's not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    I hate Ben Affleck as an actor. I can barely stomach Matt Damon. Adam Driver is spectacularly awful...as always.
    Thank you. I only saw the trailer, but that's exactly what crossed my mind. That, and I wonder if his wife got a part in this one too.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I just started watching Counterpart on Prime Video and really like it so far. JK Simmons is the main character.

Trailer
    https://youtu.be/c3Bu2DOM66g

User Tag List