Page 398 of 812 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408448498 ... LastLast
Results 3,971 to 3,980 of 8111

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Site Supporter
    Watching "Das Boot" on Hulu - the series not the movie. WW2 German subs based in occupied France. Pretty raw. Life in a WW2 sub looks miserable and appears not many submariners will survive the war. I watch this by myself when wife is traveling - do not think she would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    I'm way late to the game, but based on a friend's recommendation, I started "Ray Donovan". Originally it was on Showtime. Prime has season 1 and I'm about 4 episodes in.

Good story about a Hollywood "fixer". Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight are great. There are really no likeable characters in the series. Everyone is a scrote to one degree or another.

Rosco
    The new season starts Sunday on Showtime. The series has had a lot of ups and downs but we still watch it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Watching "Das Boot" on Hulu - the series not the movie. WW2 German subs based in occupied France. Pretty raw. Life in a WW2 sub looks miserable and appears not many submariners will survive the war. I watch this by myself when wife is traveling - do not think she would like.
    I read the book and saw the movie but I didn’t know they ever did a series. I’ll have to check it out, thanks!

IIRC the u-boats suffered around a 75% loss rate. Something like 30,000 KIA/MIA/WIA out of a 40,000 man force.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    IIRC the u-boats suffered around a 75% loss rate. Something like 30,000 KIA/MIA/WIA out of a 40,000 man force.
    I believe that's correct. They had a free run early on, but the Allies adjusted tactics and equipment. Later in the war it was basically a death sentence to be on a U-boat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Signed up for Disney Plus last week, mostly for the Mandalorian. Watched it last night. VERY VERY VERY Happy!!! I'm a 9 out of 10 when it comes to being a Star Wars nerd and this series has me tingling as bad as Chris Mathews watching Obama and Melania Trump at the same time.

Reviews have been very positive. I think Kathy Kennedy is breathing a little easier.

Of course it only makes me more pissed about the Last Jedi and that hack Rian Johnson - who the hell gave that idiot the keys to the franchise????

MIDWAY. I enjoyed it in spite of itself.

The bad. A major CGI fest. As there are no Japanese or American carriers, or Battleships, or working SBDs (there might be a couple of these) to be had as rentals this was unavoidable. Still, much better than average CGI. The aircraft almost moved like real aircraft, almost. Much better motion than seen in Red Tails as an example. They still couldn't resist forcing too many planes into too small a frame though.

The history is not awful but it is certainly no documentary. Just let your eyes glaze over when the director compresses events and chooses to interpret things not to your liking. This really wasn't a bad try. Completely ignore Dick Best deliberately dead sticking a carrier landing for ... reasons. The sacrifices and import of the morning raids and in particular the TBDs could have been emphasized better than they were. I didn't see a single F4F, CGI might cost more than I think.

I saw a headline that called this a "modern" take on a war movie. I thought "Oh no! Emo Naval Aviators and misunderstood Japanese!" During the opening credits I noted that one of the producers was a Shanghai based corporation. Therefore, no slack was given to the Japanese at all, except where warranted. The historical figure of Yamato seemed pretty good. The emo factor was well within limits.

The good. It was fun to watch.

Yamamoto, not Yamato! Must edit better and quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    During the opening credits I noted that one of the producers was a Shanghai based corporation. Therefore, no slack was given to the Japanese at all, except where warranted.
    This was actually a ChiCom production.

I'm sure someone will come along to point out that the director, et. al. were American, but the only reason it got made was because the ChiComs financed it.

Make of that what you will.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Anyone have an opinion on how 2019’s Midway stacks up against the 1974 version?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Signed up for Disney Plus last week, mostly for the Mandalorian. Watched it last night. VERY VERY VERY Happy!!! I'm a 9 out of 10 when it comes to being a Star Wars nerd and this series has me tingling as bad as Chris Mathews watching Obama and Melania Trump at the same time.

Reviews have been very positive. I think Kathy Kennedy is breathing a little easier.

Of course it only makes me more pissed about the Last Jedi and that hack Rian Johnson - who the hell gave that idiot the keys to the franchise????
    Watched episode #1 tonight too. I really like it so far.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List