Page 763 of 820 FirstFirst ... 263663713753761762763764765773813 ... LastLast
Results 7,621 to 7,630 of 8195

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Community on NetFlix.

The set up is a practicing lawyer who has been found to have faked his University degree so he enrolls in a community college. He sees a pretty girl and deceives her into joining his non-existent Spanish Study group to hit on her. She invites the rest of the characters and the stage is set. An autistic kid, a former star athlete, a Christian black divorce, a hyper-competitive, overachieving recovering pillhead, and a Boomer with no filter and a barrage of racist, homophobic, Islamophobic and every other phobe comments.

While most ensemble sitcoms usually veer into the absurd within a season or two, and eventually have characters behaving as inhuman caricatures, Community grabs the bull by the horns and veers into actual surrealism pretty quickly.
    For the most part it works.
    The show is merciless in its comedy, sparing no one, left/right, young/old, black/white, ugly/pretty or fat/skinny. There's not much "Let's hug and cry and learn and grow" going on.
    Hypocritical leftwing virtue signaling is brutally lampooned as is eggshell walking around diversity and racism.
    It's so unusual-nowadays- it's jarring. It's hard to imagine it being greenlit in today's climate of hysterical sensitivity.

Weirdly, Netflix banned one episode where the characters play Dungeons and Dragons. The Asian character dresses as a "Dark Elf"...and it's too close to "Blackface".

There are a number of incredibly imaginative episodes. A tonally pitch perfect Law and Order ep, Goodfellas in the school cafeteria, a Ken Burns Civil War documentary about a school pillow fight,the two "Paintball Assassin" episodes are unbelievably epic, and eating a pizza turns into an exercise in Chaos theory, with multiple timelines and the most elaborate and horrifyingly funny scene I think I've ever seen in any genre.

+1 for Community...thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ghosts of Beirut on Amazon Prime

4 part docudrama on the hunt for Imad Mughniyeh. Similar to "Zero Dark Thirty". Best part, subtitles are yellow on black. No idea why white subtitles are still a standard in films.

Site Supporter
    Sound of Freedom was worth a watch. Not great (I say that a lot) but I'm glad I saw it.

Site Supporter
    The Devil's Hour on Prime.
    Name:  DevilsHour.png
Views: 288
Size:  98.1 KB

It's probably not everybody's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. The timeline isn't linear and unfortunately they aren't very clear about the transitions. But it plays on a similar view of space-time that U have. I can't explain more without spoilers.

SPACE_TIME

Another plus for me is that it stars Jessica Raine.

Name:  JessicaRaine.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  11.4 KB
    Like the show, she may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I've thought she was cute since her appearance on "Call The Midwife." Name:  MidWife.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  13.4 KB
    Last edited by Bigguy; 07-30-2023 at 04:08 PM.

Re: Community.
    I found the banned "blackface" episode on Prime and bought it.
    It's very funny...and weirdly, one of the few "heartwarming" episodes in the show. The blackface is called out amusingly, and the "insensitivity" is far less than scores of other racial jokes they riff on.
    The D&D game is played entirely in the cast's imagination...and it plays out in the audience's that way too. Very clever.
    And the the XXX sex scene that occurs between Hector the Well Endowed and the Elf maiden is hot. Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Sound of Freedom was worth a watch. Not great (I say that a lot) but I'm glad I saw it.
    I agree about the movie, "Sound of Freedom" being worth seeing. It lets you know there are a lot of depraved SOB's out there...even celebrities and folks in positions of great power.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

I went to see "Sound of Freedom" Wednesday at a theatre near my workplace.

There is a reason the left wants this movie killed.

Not the deepest storyline you will ever see but it is worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    I went to see "Sound of Freedom" Wednesday at a theatre near my workplace.

There is a reason the left wants this movie killed.

Not the deepest storyline you will ever see but it is worth a watch.
    "The left wants this movie killed" seems to be more neocon marketing strategy than truth. Even the studio that put out the movie says so.

"War Sailor" on Netflix. Three-episode miniseries about Norwegian merchant marine sailors and what happens to them and their families when WWII breaks out.

Talk about a tough row to hoe. It's a very grim tale from beginning to end.

Really well put together, the convoy scenes with ships sinking and people dying are understated but all the more horrifying because of that.

https://www.netflix.com/Title/81643922

User Tag List