Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 128: Basic Engagement Practice Session Part 1

Week 128: Basic Engagement Practice Session Part 1

Week 128: Basic Engagement Practice Session Part 1

Results may be posted until October 4th, 2015

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: One silhouette target of shooter's choice that has a body target zone (COM) and a head target zone (CNS)
    Start Position: Holstered or ready, shooter's choice
    Rounds Fired: 40

This is intended as a short and quick practice session of some basic engagement sequences that might be used in self-defense. The timer is going to be used, but only as a witness. There is no particular par time. The intention is to shoot in an on-demand/match pace manner and give our best attempt at making all the hits without delay. Any silhouette target can be used. Start position is holstered, unless range restrictions don't allow it. In that case, use the ready position of your choice.

Procedure: Shoot strings 1-5 while standing still, and record your hits and times. Then shoot strings 6-10, but now incorporating movement before and after shooting. Record hits and times. For example, String 6 will be to take a lateral step during the draw or presentation from ready, shoot 6 COM while standing still, then take another lateral step (same or opposite direction) after shooting.

String 1: shoot 6 COM
    String 2: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS
    String 3: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS
    String 4: shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS
    String 5: shoot 2 CNS

String 6: shoot 6 COM, incorporating movement
    String 7: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS, incorporating movement
    String 8: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS, incorporating movement
    String 9: shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS, incorporating movement
    String 10: shoot 2 CNS, incorporating movement

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Target used
    Times and hits for each of the ten strings
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

String 1: shoot 6 COM 3.32
    String 2: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS 2.72
    String 3: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS 2.78
    String 4: shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS 4.31
    String 5: shoot 2 CNS 2.52

String 6: shoot 6 COM, incorporating movement 3.12
    String 7: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS, incorporating movement 2.93
    String 8: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS, incorporating movement 3.00
    String 9: shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS, incorporating movement 3.83
    String 10: shoot 2 CNS, incorporating movement 3.36 Fumbled draw.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used) G19 w/RMR Fricke Seraphim, t-shirt concealment
    Target used TxT
    Times and hits for each of the ten strings clean, times above
    Anything you noticed Definitely ran it slower when not using par times. On the second run I never forgot to move while drawing as I do that quite often, but forget to move post shooting quite a bit.

tring 1: shoot 6 COM 3.26 clean
    String 2: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS 2.33 clean
    String 3: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS 2.49 - I miss CNS
    String 4: shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS 3.19 clean
    String 5: shoot 2 CNS 2.08 clean

String 6: shoot 6 COM, incorporating movement 3.11 - 1 miss just outside A zone
    String 7: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS, incorporating movement 2.70 clean
    String 8: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS, incorporating movement 2.24 - 1 miss CNS
    String 9: shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS, incorporating movement 3.52 - 1 miss COM
    String 10: shoot 2 CNS, incorporating movement 2.52 clean

Equipment: Beretta Centurion Clone - 9mm, AIWB under a polo shirt.
    Target: IPSC classic target, with two overlapping 3x5 cards for CNS. Photo below from string 2:

I liked this drill, it would be interesting to have PAR times for each string that Mr. White thought would be suitable for advanced shooters, or his standards. Like MVS above, I moved fine when drawing strings 6 - 10, but often forgot to move post shooting.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 09-07-2015 at 06:31 PM.

1.) 3.39 sec. -1 Miss
    2.) 3.00 sec. Clean
    3.) 2.60 sec Clean
    4.) 3.94 sec Clean
    5.) 2.24 sec., -1 Miss
    6.) 3.14 sec. -1 Miss
    7.) 2.89 sec. -1 Miss (COM)
    8.) 3.12 sec. Clean
    9.) 4.24 sec. Clean
    10.) 2.55 sec. Clean

Glock 22/TLR1, Safariland 6360, full duty belt.
    IDPA Target

From looking at my times the movement slowed me down although I got the same number of hits, overall. My misses on strings 1, 6 &7 were in the "-1" portion of the IDPA target so I ruled them as a miss since they weren't in the "-0" zone. The miss on string 5 was low and the result of rushing, snatching the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time DOTWer

String 1: 5.00
    String 2: 3.06
    String 3: 2.75
    String 4: 4.80 - 2 CNS, stacked 2 shots on top of each but just happened to be slightly below the head box
    String 5: 2.66 - 1 CNS, yanked trigger on first shot and threw it to the left collarbone area
    String 6: 4.04
    String 7: 2.90
    String 8: 3.07
    String 9: 4.43
    String 10: 3.43

- SP01 Shadow in Bladetech DOS holster
    - IDPA target
    - Could have used an hourglass instead of timer for some of the strings. Sadly the best thing for me is to think less while shooting (and just shoot) so movement is a good distraction. Still getting used to the gamer gun from years of striker fired but it's slowly coming together for me

Sig 226
    Level III retention holster (6360)
    USPSA metric target

1. 2.35
    2. 2.04
    3. 1.77
    4. 2.67 -1 body
    5. 1.76

6. 2.30. -1 body
    7. 2.03 -1 head
    8. 1.86
    9. 2.88. -1 head
    10. 1.87

Comments: Both bodies out were within an inch at the A zone edge. I'm alright with that, although I didn't call them there which isn't ideal. The head misses steam my gourd though. Both were an over-swing issue as I transitioned up from the body while settling into position. I saw the respective shots break right over the top. One of em caught the very top edge of the head but didn't break the perf. It would appear I need to pay a bit more attention….

t

CZ p09 w/ x300u, under a polo, JMCK AIWB lightbearing
    USPSA target

1. - 4.02
    2. - 2.68
    3. - 2.96
    4. - 4.24 -1 body
    5. - 2.27

6. - 3.97
    7. - 2.86
    8. - 3.18
    9. - 4.41 -1 body
    10. - 2.53 -1 head

I ran this with my backup p09 wearing an x300u. I recently got the lightbearing aiwb from JM and wanted to see how it was outside of dryfire. This gun has stock sights vs my normal p09 wearing cgw sights. I was pretty conservative with my times, going for match pace as directed above. I do remember a few times during the movement portion there were a few runs where I had to tell myself to get moving after shooting instead of instantly wanting to holster and look at the target. Maybe I should incorporate a bit more movement into and out of shooting in future sessions to not get locked into finishing and instantly holstering after the hard break/decock.

Love it.
    But you can have one lateral step. I'm going to haul ass win or lose.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Equipment used: Gen3 G34, concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt

Target used: USPSA Metric

Times and hits for each of the ten strings:

String 1: shoot 6 COM - 1.98, -0
    String 2: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS - 1.45, -0
    String 3: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS - 1.50, -0
    String 4: shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS - 2.34, -0
    String 5: shoot 2 CNS - 1.55, -0

String 6: shoot 6 COM, incorporating movement - 2.08, -0
    String 7: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS, incorporating movement - 1.54, -0
    String 8: shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS, incorporating movement - 1.58, -0
    String 9: shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS, incorporating movement - 2.22, -0
    String 10: shoot 2 CNS, incorporating movement - 1.38, -1 (in the head box, but not what I would call a CNS hit)

Anything you noticed: This is a short skills practice that I've used intermittently for a few years. I have been light on practice lately, so I was pretty happy with how this came out. When I do this set of drills, I tend to look for what I think are anatomically effective hits, irrespective of the zones on the actual target, which I often disagree with at least a little. When I use a USPSA Metric target like this time, that translates into trying to hit the upper half of the lower A-zone as well as just a little higher in the chest, and I don't concern myself with strictly adhering to the upper A-zone in the head, which I think is a little on the small side, though I don't want to see them in the periphery of the head box either.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    I liked this drill, it would be interesting to have PAR times for each string that Mr. White thought would be suitable for advanced shooters, or his standards.
    I usually hate par times, unless they are tailored to a specific person doing specific tasks. They often end up forcing a person into an artificially fast or slow pace, both of which can help cause errors in gunhandling and shooting. They can work well if used right, but a lot of times there are problems with generalizing them.

For me personally, here is what I want to see/think I should see on these drills in a practice context:

For a Bill Drill (String 1), I'm looking for under 2 seconds clean from concealment. Ideally I'd like to see 1.8x and/or a much tighter cluster of shots than the entire lower A-zone. I was very happy with the 1.98 because the shots were pretty tightly clustered in the upper half of the lower A-zone. That is a good Bill Drill for me. The 2.08 incorporating movement was a hair slow, but hits were good, and I guess I can forgive it since there was more going on than in a straight up Bill Drill.

For a Failure Drill (String 2 and 3), I'm looking for 1.5 seconds clean from concealment. I can push it quite a bit more, and ideally I'd like to see ~1.2-1.3 on that task. But that's the kind of time I'll see if I push it in practice, and the head shot gets iffy if I am not completely right on with the up-transition. I'm not really looking for the head shot to be strictly in the upper A-zone, but I don't want to see it in the periphery of the head either. So I was happy with Strings 2 and 3, and accepted the slightly slower times on Strings 7 and 8 since more was going on (movement.)

For the 'larger failure drill' (String 4 - four COM and two CNS), I begrudgingly recognize that 2.5 seconds is a pretty fair time to look for with good hits. I would like to see under 2 seconds, same as on a Bill Drill. But, the head shots are probably going to cost just a little bit of time and under 2 seconds on-demand is a little ambitious. I still try though. If I see ~2.3 or so on this, I'm not too unhappy. The 2.34 on String 4 was a hair slower than I would like. The 2.22 on String 9 was fine, considering the additional movement.

For the two head shots (String 5), I think I should see 1.5 seconds or less, though I am allowing a little bigger target zone than the upper A proper. What I'd like to see is about 1.3 or so. And I figure adding movement will probably end up costing one or two tenths. I would have liked a little faster time on String 5, and on String 10 I needed to be just a tiny bit more careful since I put one of the shots toward the periphery of the head.

I hope those explanations give you at least some of what you wanted, Clobbersaurus!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

It does, thank you.

Your personal standards are insanely tough, that is some very expert level shooting.

It gives me a good idea of what can be done though and something to benchmark my own progress against.

User Tag List