Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to train shooting on the move?

Somewhat off topic I observed yesterday that my shooting on a brisk move was enhanced a great deal by a cylinder bore 870.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    - You will almost always spend less time overall running to a single position and shooting your target array, versus covering the same distance while shooting the same targets on the move.
    I let the hit factor decide

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    Move and shoot? Or move to shoot?

I’ve been trying to implement more “dynamic shooting” during my range sessions. Lately I’ve been devoting a third of my time and ammo supply to practice shooting and reloading while walking in various directions.

A course of fire goes something like this:

Shoot 3-5 rounds while moving back and to the left/right.
    Shoot 3.-5 rounds while moving laterally.
    Shoot 3-5 rounds while backing.

Sometimes the string will be shot with 5 rounds split between two magazines so I need to reload while moving.

Sometimes I’ll tape some “imaginary barricades” on the floor of my indoor range and practice moving between them while firing, or sometimes moving to them, and then firing. The idea is that I’m moving laterally relative to the target while also shooting from various distances.

I shoot on an indoor range. I’m the only person occupying the space at that time. I don’t have any actual cover or barricades in this space, so I have to tape cover or bring soccer cones. I shoot from my duty gear and I’m typically shooting the P-F.com 6”circle with 1” Square taped on an FBI Q target. I try to keep my hits in the circle (or in the bottle).

We’ve been doing a lot of shooting on the move drills during our monthly swat range sessions, and it’s a part of out state’s qualification course, so that’s a clue someone thinks it’s somewhat important.

My questions are as follows:

How much do you train shooting on the move? Is it a priority to you?
    Do you move then shoot, or move while shooting, or both?
    Do you have any suggestions for drills?

Thanks

How much do you train shooting on the move? Is it a priority to you?
    I practice it a fair amount, though it is not the biggest priority... Generally, I have one or two targets that I'll need to pick-up on during competition...
    Most of the time, the targets are close. The risk of missing on a far target because you're moving is too high.

Do you move then shoot, or move while shooting, or both?
    I do way more, "Move, then shoot..." I can really run the gun way faster when not moving.

Do you have any suggestions for drills?
    How much or your qualification is based on SOTM? Just putting this out there that maybe you should train exclusively for that/those scenarios.

Other simple drills:
    The walking forward then backward with 3 targets in front of you is a great exercise. (start at ~8 yards, come up to 5 yards, then retreat - 3 yards between targets)
    The walking laterally-left to right, then back again, with 3 targets at 5 yards is a great exercise. (3 yards between targets)

Focus on walking at a brisk pace: if much slower, why bother moving? If much faster, why bother shooting?
    Bend the knees and stay low...

Pulling in the arms slightly helps keep the gun from bouncing a lot.

Like this (Chris Keen): (Notice how the cadence slows a lot when he gets further out...)
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 09-14-2015 at 12:51 PM.

sooooooo

http://www.ajc.com/videos/news/dash-...fficer/vDbKRC/

Officer pursues a vehicle, vehicle crashes, officer pursues two males on foot.

Second male has gun in hand and the officer fails at drawing his pistol on the move, but does so after a tug or two, then begins to shoot, on the move. Takes one in the shoulder in the process.

Since this thread is about moving and shooting (not tactics) it did not seem to me from the video that the officer slowed down once he started shooting, granted it's obstructed.

Also he's right handed, target was on his left side, he had to turn his body - though it didn't look like he turtled he did seem to want to slow down to get hits.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Interesting. The video is far enough off that you really can't analyze much, but it looked to me like the officer took a hit before he ever started shooting.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Interesting. The video is far enough off that you really can't analyze much, but it looked to me like the officer took a hit before he ever started shooting.
    I'm not seeing that, but the angle sucks and its pretty obscure. He does slow down and start shooting, but he wasn't doing much moving and shooting.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Just came across this pretty slick vid from T. Jarrett

You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

User Tag List