Page 1 of 97 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: New Army Handgun Solicitation.

New Army Handgun Solicitation.

New Army Handgun Solicitation.

After many months of waiting, finally the US Army has released the formal solicitation for the XM17 MHS handgun competition. Guns.com reports:

Due to revisions and delays, the U.S. Army’s solicitation for a handgun to replace the M9 has been put off for almost a year, but that ended when the Army officially announced it on Aug. 28.

The solicitation allows companies to compete for a $580 million contract and bragging rights for being the Army’s official sidearm, something Beretta has had for more than 25 years. However, the testing is thorough and navigating federal bureaucracy can be exhausting.

The 351-page solicitation details key features required of competing handguns, performance standards, necessary accessories and kits, and a range of quantities for the items in full and components.

To compete in the Modular Handgun System, and the XM17 designation, the pistol needs modifiable grips, varied magazine options, ambidextrous controls, and rails for accessories. Since many features the Army wants come standard with polymer-framed handgun available today, performance of both the firearm and its chambering will make the difference.

The Army said the handgun should be able to hit a 4-inch target at a 50-meter range at least 90 percent of the time throughout the gun’s lifespan. While there’s not specific caliber preference, the round should be able to penetrate 14-inches into ballistics gel at 50 meters.

But the likely challenge for competitors is navigating the intricacies of the military’s program and costs — reasons why Mike Fifer, chief executive officer of Sturm, Ruger & Company, told investors in July during a conference call why Ruger is not participating.

“There’s enormous cause to participate and an extremely low likelihood for any one company of winning it,” he said.

“If you win it, obviously you’re in the capital receipt for the next 25 years, but I have a feeling competing for it’s going to be a little bit like being hit against a brick wall, and you’ll feel real good when you stop,” he said.

“The risk factor of putting the huge investment of time, people and money into competing for something that there’s really very low likelihood of winning even if you have a much better product,” he said. “And so those are kind of the pros and cons right there.”

Aside from Smith & Wesson teaming with General Dynamics, and Beretta putting forth effort to retain the contract, a number of companies are expected to be participating. More than 20 companies participated in an industry day at Picatinny Arsenal in New Jersey at the beginning of July to showcase possible entries.

The deadline for companies to submit a test package is Jan. 28.

Any word on when, or if, the 351 page solicitation details would be released? Interested to know all of the required features, performance standards, and accessories.

VP9 FTW? <---rhetorical.

I think a guy on here had a copy of them. I don't remember his name, or the post. Rich is coming to mind though.. I'll see if I can find it.

Rich_jenkins. He just posted in the other military contract thread. I'm sure he will be along shortly.
    Last edited by Luke; 09-02-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    “If you win it, obviously you’re in the capital receipt for the next 25 years, but I have a feeling competing for it’s going to be a little bit like being hit against a brick wall, and you’ll feel real good when you stop,”

Hasn't that been most .mil small arms programs in the last 20 or 30 years outside of a few specialized rifles (SCAR/SASS/PSR/M2010/etc.)? Lots of time and treasure spent to get "Not a substantial enough improvment, we're just going to keep doing what we're doing." Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

The draft RFP has been out for several months. The final version appears here.

It is rather dense and repetitive. I certainly won't claim to have read the whole thing. However, some judicious searching revealed that “Upon receipt of hardware submission, inspections will be conducted to ensure that the Modular Handgun System candidate has an
    integrated rail, an external safety mechanism, adjustability for ergonomics (by means of grip inserts, grip panels, front or back
    straps, different triggers, or other means) and be other than single action only. Submissions without these features will not be
    considered for evaluation.” (Page 340)

There seems to be some debate whether 'an external safety mechanism' would exclude standard Glock pistols (allowing for that fact that Glock has produced manual safety versions as recently as the 2012 British L131A1 sidearm competition), or if the Glock 'trigger safety' would suffice. Either way, expect a Glock entry.

There is an extensive MHS thread here.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 09-02-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I think a guy on here had a copy of them. I don't remember his name, or the post. Rich is coming to mind though.. I'll see if I can find it.

Rich_jenkins. He just posted in the other military contract thread. I'm sure he will be along shortly.
    Unfortunately, the way I read the released RFP, the details we are looking for is in a document that is only releasable if you/your company signs a Non Disclosure Agreement.

From my post in the other thread:

"Hmpf. Maybe I am missing it, but the Spec section doesn't have the purchase description i.e. what they are looking for in terms of technical details.

Apparently that is in Purchase Description AR-PD-177.

A quick google on FBO shows this statement:

"To obtain a copy of the latest DRAFT Purchase Description (PD) AR-PD-177, AR-PD-179, AR-PD-180, AR-PD-183, AR-PD-184 and other Distribution D documents, interested parties must email a signed and approved DD Form 2345 Military Critical Technical Data Agreement, a completed AMSTA AR Form 1350 Technical Data Questionnaire, and a completed and signed Non-Disclosure / Non-Use Agreement "

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...19d02feb0a9c0f

In other words, I would not waste much time looking through this 351 pages, it is mostly contract/legalese about the contracts process, CLINS, data descriptions, etc. "

Holding 4" at 50 meters 90% of the time from a commercial mass-produced polymer-frame pistol? Good luck.

And 14" of penetration at 50 meters must presume full metal jacket ammunition.

Wonder who'll choose to compete...
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I wonder what smith and Wesson has up there sleeve. General dynamics fixing M&P's to sell the gubernment?

Mike Fifer is probably the smartest guy in the MHS competition........

As Joshua said.. A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List