Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Describe a malfunction that was not easily clearable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    2 of 4 HK P7 M8s I had went down with light use. 1 with broken Cocking mechanism, 1 with broken right side magazine release.
    The most common breakage we had with them was the striker collett. They cycled but but wouldn't fire unless the slide was racked again, so you lost half your ammo but could single fire rounds. If the trigger return spring broke they were dead.

While on gun breakages, I've had 1911 slide release levers move a little laterally (like you're trying to remove them) and lock the guns up tight.

Interestingly the firing pin on my old 92 broke and I didn't notice it until cleaning. Still went bang every time.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Bent crane caused the cylinder to come into contact with the forcing cone on a Taurus model 85.
    This one reminded me of one with an S&W 29. The extractor rod unscrewed from recoil. So the cylinder could not be opened to eject the spent shells and reload. This ended that range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The most common breakage we had with them was the striker collett. They cycled but but wouldn't fire unless the slide was racked again, so you lost half your ammo but could single fire rounds. If the trigger return spring broke they were dead.

While on gun breakages, I've had 1911 slide release levers move a little laterally (like you're trying to remove them) and lock the guns up tight.

Interestingly the firing pin on my old 92 broke and I didn't notice it until cleaning. Still went bang every time.
    I've heard of that with Beretta 92s. Design feature or happy accident of the design?

My hardest to clear was a bulged fired case that jammed itself into the chamber of my HK P-30. Took a lot of effort to clear that one.

I had a firing pin stuck forward on a 1911.

It happened hand cycling some snap caps through some new magazines. I racked the slide to feed a snap cap from the magazine, all was well. I tried to cycle the slide to eject that snap cap and the snap cap stayed in the chamber, and I couldn't get the slide to cycle forward. I noticed the firing pin was sticking forward past the breech face and was jammed against the snap cap.

I stripped the slide and found a coil had broken off the end of the firing pin spring and locked up the firing pin spring with the pin fully forward. I feel pretty lucky it happened with snap caps. That probably would have been a bit of a surprise with a live round.

I was shooting my Bravo Company upper/Colt lower carbine during an EAG class when I felt a "thud". Instantly knew something was wrong. Tried immediate action, no go. Tried to mortar it out, no go. Pat gave the rifle to a freak of nature who looked like a contestant on "World's Strongest Man". He couldn't mortar it out. The class host (St. John's County Sheriff's Office, St. Augustine, FL) called his armorer in who had to take off the buffer tube to get the bolt/carrier assembly out. He then had to unscrew the barrel because the round was stuck that much in the chamber. The round only had one flash hole drilled and that apparently locked it up tight enough to require all of this work. I'd shot 2500 rounds of that ammunition with no problems, and the other 499 went out fine as well. The armorer was on daddy duty that day, so when I tried to give him money to take his kids for ice cream, he wouldn't take it. So, I gave it to the daughter and told her to buy her family some ice cream and to put the rest in the piggy bank.

After it was put back together, I shot the rest of the course with the carbine with no issues. Pat called Paul at Bravo Company, who offered to have the upper picked up and brought to him for a free review. I declined, simply because I believed it was the ammo. I've had no issues with the carbine since.

WHO TQ application drill after shooting dry with a handgun; after applying the TQ, reload and re-engage; I was using my RMR'd P30LS, with TF +5 magazine extensions. I had the issue of simply dropping my handgun, slide locked back, into the dirt, as I was unable to reach my holster. I was able to attach the TQ okay, by laying on the ground and trapping the TQ between the ground and my arm. Unfortunately, while doing so, I managed to kick a large amount of debris into my gun (the range was very sandy). While I was able to reload, the slide would not go into battery; I had to strip the magazine, rack the slide multiple times, then reload again (all one handed, of course). After I was able to reload again and get the slide into battery, the trigger turns out to be dead, and a one-handed tap-rack-bang did not solve that issue. Thus, I could not complete the evolution as intended, and took this as a lesson to let the slide go forward if I'm going to drop it into a giant pile of sand. I was able to clear out the sand using a compressed air hose, and a liberal amount of lube was then applied to the gun, although I could definitely still feel the grit in the trigger and slide.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-02-2015 at 10:32 AM.

During qualifications at my old agency, my LT, who had just returned from CITP, had his G22 go "click" instead of bang on the third round in. Tap/rack/bang/click. Inspection revealed both rear frame rails had departed from frame. A call to Glock with S/Ns in hand revealed three other G22s in service in the affected s/n range, including mine and one involved in an OIS a few months before.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Multiple episodes of P30/P30L not able to extract empty Tula ammo cartridges. Required disassembly and a rod.
    Yes, multiple, because I had to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Multiple episodes of P30/P30L not able to extract empty Tula ammo cartridges. Required disassembly and a rod.
    Yes, multiple, because I had to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
    Was this because the casing had swelled up inside the chamber? I've had multiple instances of that with the steel Monarch brand 9mm, also with my P30LS, which is made in Barnaul, IIRC. I usually used pliers to pull the casings out.

I assume so. Swell too much, didn't shrink enough, swell and got stuck, I am not so sure as to which one was the case. Both P30 and P30L, didn't try with P2000SK. Didn't have the pliers, so I had to bang it out with a rod.

This was when I realized that my Glocks will never be sold.

User Tag List