Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Caliber, ban state choice

Caliber, ban state choice

Bill Wilson started a thread this morning, with some very interesting info on his survey of trainers and their ammo choices. In that thread, DocGKR said the following:

"Current 9 mm is the best choice for the vast majority of defensive uses--it is what I carry; the only exception might be in jurisdictions that have an illogical magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds or less, then some consideration might be given to going with .45 Auto. Also, if in a predominately wilderness area, .40 might be a reasonable option, although on my recent 100 mile backpacking trek through the Sierra's, I just stuck with 9 mm."

During part of the winter, I recreate above a state with a ten round magazine limit. Given gravity, it is possible that I might be in a ten round state. So, if limited to ten rounds, what is your caliber choice. I realize this is interrelated to what pistol you carry. For example, the Glock 17/19 does not have a stellar reputation with neutered magazines. Generally, caliber gets balanced with capacity, but here ten is the limit.
    Last edited by GJM; 08-31-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spell better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bill Wilson started a thread this morning, with some very interesting info on his survey of trainers and their ammo choices. In that thread, DocGKR said the following:

"Current 9 mm is the best choice for the vast majority of defensive uses--it is what I carry; the only exception might be in jurisdictions that have an illogical magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds or less, then some consideration might be given to going with .45 Auto. Also, if in a predominately wilderness area, .40 might be a reasonable option, although on my recent 100 mile backpacking trek through the Sierra's, I just stuck with 9 mm."

During part of the winter, I recreate above a state with a ten round magazine limit. Given gravity, it is possible that I might be in a ten round state. So, if limited to ten rounds, what is your caliber choice. I realize this is interrelated to what pistol you carry. For example, the Glock 17/19 does not have a stellar reputation with neutered magazines. Generally, caliber gets balanced with capacity, but here ten is the limit.
    I would go G26 and not sweat it, because I've got one and they can be shot to such high performance levels.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I would go G26 and not sweat it, because I've got one and they can be shot to such high performance levels.
    Like most days, I agree with JHC. For a people popper, I'd have no problem carrying a G26 in a ban state. I'd also be happy with a SIG P239, and I'd stay 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My wife is in the Air Force and we are most likely gonna end up back in Cali in the next 3-4 years, a G26 is my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Like most days, I agree with JHC. For a people popper, I'd have no problem carrying a G26 in a ban state. I'd also be happy with a SIG P239, and I'd stay 9mm.
    P239 9mm for me with a reload, regardless of gun politics. No matter how hard I try to rationalize the use of the larger calibers, I just plain shoot the 9mm so much better under the widest array of situations. Second caliber and platform choice would be a P239 .40.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    P239 9mm for me with a reload, regardless of gun politics. No matter how hard I try to rationalize the use of the larger calibers, I just plain shoot the 9mm so much better under the widest array of situations. Second caliber and platform choice would be a P239 .40.
    is your usual carry a 226 or 229?

quick question about the California approved hand gun thing. So as of today, 8/31/15 no glocks made in the united states are on the approved list. Doesnt that mean if I move into California I cannot bring a glock that is made in the US or that I just cant buy one there? I plan on buying a g26 this week as a smaller back up to my g19 and as my 10 round 9mm as choice when I have to move back to Cali..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    quick question about the California approved hand gun thing. So as of today, 8/31/15 no glocks made in the united states are on the approved list. Doesnt that mean if I move into California I cannot bring a glock that is made in the US or that I just cant buy one there? I plan on buying a g26 this week as a smaller back up to my g19 and as my 10 round 9mm as choice when I have to move back to Cali..
    The roster doesn't apply to personal handguns that are imported when you move into the state as long as you have no intent to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The roster doesn't apply to personal handguns that are imported when you move into the state as long as you have no intent to sell them.
    thanks joshs, that puts my mind at ease..

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    You are going to leave Montana for Cali?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List