Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caliber, the experts choice FYI

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    ... older policia (like me) still have a 642 or 442 in a pocket or somewhere on and off-duty.
    Yup. Although I'm not "on duty" anymore (my current, retired position with my agency is non-commissioned; by my choice), I've got a J frame on me, regardless of what else may, or may not, be to hand.

Regarding THAT, I likes me a big bullet; even though my head tells me it doesn't have the advantage that it once did. And I'm about to start some serious work-ups with a Glock 43... times change.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    Any idea what they carry as a backup gun?

I saw an article, years ago, that stated that a whole lot of experts admitted to carrying a S&W M49 (or one of the same series)
    after match/competition/duty hours.
    Do you know what are the preferred pistols (1-2-3 models they most often use) these trainers use? If possible, it would be good to know if some brand sponsorship influences these choices.
    Both good questions. 1) So what do they shoot as primary? 2) Do they actually carry their primary or something else? 3)Do they carry at all ? 4) Do they carry a secondary weapon?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Paul Howe's vote was interesting to me insofar as earlier on his arrival to the training scene he seemed to be a G30 user for some time.
    He was also a Glock 32 user for some time but I'm not surprised about him going 9mm as he is a big proponent of "It's the Indian not the arrow".

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    He was also a Glock 32 user for some time but I'm not surprised about him going 9mm as he is a big proponent of "It's the Indian not the arrow".
    TX DPS switched from .357 Sig to 9mm recently and he does a lot of training for them

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Paul noted in a past newsletter the .357 Glocks being less reliable than the 9mms in the sandy conditions he deals with at his home range. I am betting that's a big part of what made him decide.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 09-04-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Survey of some experts

Experts Survey

The questions:

#1 Do you carry on a daily basis?

#2 What is the make and model of your primary carry gun?

#3 If you have more than one make/model you carry list your second choice?

#4 What is your preferred carry ammo (Brand/type/bullet weight)?

#5 Comments?

Their answers:

Bill Rogers: #1 Yes, #2 Ruger LCR 9mm, #3 S&W Shield 9mm, #4 Winchester Silver Tip 125gr, #5 Being in FL about half the year I知 wearing a T-shirt and shorts or tactical pants so a pocket gun works well. A 9mm with full moon clips re-loads faster than a .38 with speed loaders.

Bill Wilson: #1 Yes I carry 24/7 and now refuse to travel to states or countries that do not allow me to carry., #2 WC customized Beretta 92 compact, #3 Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry compact 9mm, #4 9mm Handload with a 147gr Hornady XTP at 1000FPS or Winchester PDX1 Defender 147gr, #5 I carry the platform that I知 doing most of my training with at the time.

David Bahde: #1 Yes, #2 Customized Colt Delta Elite 10mm, #3 Springfield Armory 1911 9mm, #4 10mm Double Tap TAC-XP 155gr or 9mm Double Tap TAC-XP 115gr, #5 Due to my writing I知 often carrying whatever I知 testing.

Ernest Langdon: #1 Yes, #2 Beretta PX-4 compact 9mm, #3 Beretta 92 compact, #4 Winchester SXT 147gr, #5 The only time I知 not carrying is going through airport security or on the airplane.

Frank Proctor: #1 Pretty much everyday, #2 Glock 19 9mm, #3 STI 2011 9mm, #4 Hornady Critical Duty 135gr, #5 No response

Ken Hackathorn: #1 Yes, #2 Wilson Combat CQB .45, #3 Colt LW Commander .45, #4 Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP, #5 During rattlesnake season I often carry a S&W M24 .44 Spl with a couple chambers of snake shot.

Larry Vickers: #1 Yes when I知 not traveling in a prohibited area., #2 Glock 19, #3 Glock 17, #4 9mm Winchester Ranger +P+ 127gr, #5 I壇 rather have a Glock taken after a shooting than a custom 1911.

Mike Seeklander: #1 Yes, #2 S&W Shield 9mm, #3 WC 1911 Compact 9mm, #4 Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P, #5 Transitioning to the WC 1911 and settling on a holster.

Paul Howe: #1 Yes, #2 Glock 19, #3 Glock 26, #4 9mm Remington JHP 147gr, #5 Will be looking at a 1911 when I begin doing more civilian training.

Paul Markel: #1 Yes, #2 Century TP9SA 9mm, #2 Kahr P45 .45, #4 Black Hills JHP 124gr or CorBon DPX 115gr 9mm or Black Hills JHP 185gr or CorBon DPX 185gr, #5 No response

Rob Haught: #1 Yes, #2 On duty Glock 21, #3 Off duty Glock 19, #4 Speer Gold Dot 230gr and Federal HydraShok 124gr, #5 As a trainer I shoot a lot of different handguns. For many years I carried a 1911 on and off duty in 45 acp. but not so much now.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Not a whole lot of surprises. Biggest takeaways for me were only 7 of 22 pistols were Glocks and MSG Howe saying he'll be looking at a 1911. Good stuff, thanks for sharing Bill. Been toting around my CQBE for almost a year now and that 4lbs is starting to get heavy fast these days. Love it, but need to get a LW something or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Paul noted in a past newsletter the .357 Glocks being less reliable than the 9mms in the sandy conditions he deals with at his home range. I am betting that's a bit part of what made him decide.
    9x23 Winchester is a much better choice over the .357sig(if faster than 9mm is your cup of tea). I reloaded for it for many years when it first came out, and would still be using it if I was using 1911s. Has all the cartridge design benefits of the 9x19mm, and lower felt recoil than .357sig as it uses the longer .45acp action. I was able to launch 147gr bullets at 1300fps from a 5" barrel with no case bulge or other signs of over pressure. 115gr bullets easily reached 1600fps(probably could have gone faster). Rapid fire strings were much faster and more controlled than .40S&W 180gr loads.

The only thing I saw was Paul Howe 1911.....thinking Paul Howe Edition Wilson Combat 1911!!!!!

User Tag List