Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caliber, the experts choice FYI

Current 9 mm is the best choice for the vast majority of defensive uses--it is what I carry; the only exception might be in jurisdictions that have an illogical magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds or less, then some consideration might be given to going with .45 Auto. Also, if in a predominately wilderness area, .40 might be a reasonable option, although on my recent 100 mile backpacking trek through the Sierra's, I just stuck with 9 mm.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 08-31-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Current 9 mm is the best choice for the vast majority of defensive uses--it is what I carry; the only exception might be in jurisdictions that have an illogical magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds or less, then some consideration might be given to going with .45 Auto. Also, if in a predominately wilderness area, .40 might be a reasonable option, although on my recent 100 mile backpacking trek through the Sierra's, I just stuck with 9 mm.
    That is worth its own thread, with pictures!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As long as it wasn't a "Naked and Afraid", hike.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Agreed !

Thanks for sharing.
    Do you know what are the preferred pistols (1-2-3 models they most often use) these trainers use? If possible, it would be good to know if some brand sponsorship influences these choices.

Any idea what they carry as a backup gun?

I saw an article, years ago, that stated that a whole lot of experts admitted to carrying a S&W M49 (or one of the same series)
    after match/competition/duty hours.

Paul Howe's vote was interesting to me insofar as earlier on his arrival to the training scene he seemed to be a G30 user for some time.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'll throw in that Pat Rogers is carrying a 9mm as his primary, and that's also what Kyle Lamb seems to be carrying a lot lately.

I recently saw Frank Proctor in one of those "experts" threads where he talked about why he was carrying 9mm, it's the same answers we all know already.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

As I replied on another site, the question as phrased predetermines the answer here. Change "self defense practice" to "all-purpose practice" and throw in several dudes who shoot Limited or SS, watch the answer change. Add "carry in wilderness", as DocGKR mentioned above, see it change. Etc.
    Last edited by YVK; 09-02-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    Any idea what they carry as a backup gun?

I saw an article, years ago, that stated that a whole lot of experts admitted to carrying a S&W M49 (or one of the same series)
    after match/competition/duty hours.
    Recall an article like that but thought they mostly favored Centennial models; older policia (like me) still have a 642 or 442 in a pocket or somewhere on and off-duty.

From an agency standpoint, 9mm should be a no-brainer at this point. We trainers are trying to shift our 250-sworn agency from .40.

No expert, I; and personally use all the calibers listed and several more because I'm a total gun whore. Most of the time when off, got a Gen 2 G19 (and 442) on when in town.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 09-02-2015 at 10:04 AM.

User Tag List