Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Caliber, the experts choice FYI

Site Supporter
    Would there be any suitable defensive rounds for that? I would think it'd almost be easier to use a .38 super

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Would there be any suitable defensive rounds for that? I would think it'd almost be easier to use a .38 super

There isn't much available right now. Winchester and Corbon make defensive loads for it. It can use either 9mm or .357sig bullets, although for defensive loads I would load .357 125gr Gold Dots between 1450-1500fps. So, there are good options for the reloader and the reloading cost is about the same as 9mm. However, the cartridge won't go anywhere until some high profile agency decides they want to use it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wilson View Post
    TX DPS switched from .357 Sig to 9mm recently and he does a lot of training for them
    They're in the process. It will take a while. They will begin by issuing 9mm's to new recruit classes and those troopers who want yo switch. Those who want to keep the .357 will be grandfathered in, at least for a while.

Paul Howe has trained a lot of TX LE. You see quite a bit of his influence in the ALERRT active shooter training programs.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

For my G31 I stock Hornady Custom 147 (Midway) and 135 Critical Duty (local shelves) which is very easy to find here. The latter being what I keep a 22 round mag loaded with. I'm get the 9mm efficiency/effectiveness thing for carry but I'm pretty impressed with the Critical Duty performance after the windshield barrier. Which I apply as an indicator of how it would handle certain big animal scenarios while being sub 6 sec FAST / Sub 5 sec 10-8 headbox standard shootable
    Last edited by JHC; 09-04-2015 at 05:57 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    There isn't much available right now. Winchester and Corbon make defensive loads for it. It can use either 9mm or .357sig bullets, although for defensive loads I would load .357 125gr Gold Dots between 1450-1500fps. So, there are good options for the reloader and the reloading cost is about the same as 9mm. However, the cartridge won't go anywhere until some high profile agency decides they want to use it.
    WC has a load for the Super also. I love my Colt Super and I shoot it often. The only thing I don't like is the obsession with recovering my brass, the only brass I've ever had to buy. I don't carry it because I have a lighter, smaller option in my SIG P225. I do need a secondary carry option, just not sure what to get. A second P225 is not an option right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wilson View Post
    Experts Survey

The questions:

#1 Do you carry on a daily basis?

#2 What is the make and model of your primary carry gun?

#3 If you have more than one make/model you carry list your second choice?

#4 What is your preferred carry ammo (Brand/type/bullet weight)?

#5 Comments?
    I was most surprised by some of the choices of ammunition.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I was too. I didn't go look but I think a few of those aren't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I was most surprised by some of the choices of ammunition.
    As was I. That being said, putting the bullet where it needs to go will help the ammo deficiency's...
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 09-05-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: i suck at typing

User Tag List