Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Priorities and minimalization

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I spent a decade with a .45 pistol, a .22 Marlin, and a 12g pump and never failed to have a gun for anything I wanted to do. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I don't know, I should probably just sit tight and be patient (save up, pay down debt slowly) with my new income, but again, part of me just wants to dump everything and simplify. Maybe I already am simplified.
    I wouldn't sell anything. I've never known anyone to look back on selling guns as a good decision. Me included.

In addition, it's very clear that you have good tastes with some very specific examples that are already hard to get. Just keep them.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

You've got 3x defensive type handguns (carry/train/spare), 1 ea. SBS +SBR, with non-NFA versions of each (that you don't have to ask permission to take out of state or whatnot), and a heavier bolt gun. I feel that, if you dump anything, A) you won't get what you put into it, and B) you will spend even more if you ever what to replace them.

I think that right now, you are in a place where you don't "need" any more gun stuff, except maybe ammo. So all your spare income can now go to paying down debt/ family stuff.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Prepared for what? Life in general, a hunting trip to Argentina, war? It doesn't matter what my list is, or that my dad has lived seventy-five years with just a single shot .22. Figure out what you want and like to shoot, not what other people think you need.

TGS is right about selling guns. Not that I regret every one I've dumped, but there are some that I really wish I had kept. They aren't so exotic they can't be replaced, but it will cost me 3-5 times more than I originally paid to replace them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    You've got 3x defensive type handguns (carry/train/spare), 1 ea. SBS +SBR, with non-NFA versions of each (that you don't have to ask permission to take out of state or whatnot), and a heavier bolt gun. I feel that, if you dump anything, A) you won't get what you put into it, and B) you will spend even more if you ever what to replace them.

I think that right now, you are in a place where you don't "need" any more gun stuff, except maybe ammo. So all your spare income can now go to paying down debt/ family stuff.
    I'm with Chuck. It may not be minimalist, but I think you've got a pretty reasonable inventory. If you could go back in time, having your current knowledge and perspective, maybe you'd only get X, Y, and Z, but in my opinion choosing what to do with what you own now is a separate question that doesn't necessarily have the same answer.

I'll also note in the original post that you mention selling things off in order to spend more on your family. Take into consideration that it's relatively easy to sell guns, and you can have a pretty good idea in advance of what you'll get for each item. But backyard playgrounds, vacations, etc.? Can't really cash out of those. So if you're in a position where you don't have a solid emergency fund stashed away, having some items that may not be essential but can be liquidated if the need arose isn't the worst thing. Just my perspective, going through kind of a similar transition myself. Look at both short and long term goals when prioritizing your family. (stuff is still just stuff, and young kids can go through stuff real quick!)
    Last edited by EricM; 08-31-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Try to never sell guns unless you absolutely need to in order to pay the bills.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I am very much a minimalist when it comes to fire arms (1 carbine and 1 pistol with another on the way). With that said, keep what you have and if you absolutely have to sell some of it, sell the non NFA stuff..

Wouldn't sell anything that you listed.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

You need to buy a J-Frame. Other than that, it looks to me like you are set up just right.

I'm almost 70 years old. I've sold guns and cars in the past and can't even remember what I spent the money on.

If you are in the position to survive and/or thrive with your new job, I wouldn't sell anything. Some might be nearly impossible to replace and you won't get near enough money for what you have.

edit to add: keep as much as you can for the kids.
    Last edited by BN; 08-31-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I wouldn't sell anything. I've never known anyone to look back on selling guns as a good decision. Me included.

In addition, it's very clear that you have good tastes with some very specific examples that are already hard to get. Just keep them.
    +1 esp after looking at your list. I read into the OP that there were more firearms involved than that. Just sit tight.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List