Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 642 vs bodyguard .38

I've used them both and seen a few of each come through my CCW classes. The 642 is what I carry. The Bodyguard was OK but I liked the feel of the metal J-frame better all around. That may be a matter of familiarity, though, as I've carried J-frames of various types for a long time.
    Last edited by JV_; 09-20-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: fixed it for you
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If you cut me, I bleed blue & white, so it's like chewing on a cat turd for me to have to say this, but I think the LCR is a much better resolver than the new Bodyguard (which does not impress me at all.)

Although it sounds like damning with faint praise, the LCR has the best out-of-the-box DA trigger I've felt on a Ruger. Since I'm pretty much all stocked up on J-frames, I wouldn't buy an LCR myself, but I sure wouldn't discourage anyone else from doing so.

(Regarding all the CCW-able guns and Evil Black Rifles coming out from Ruger:
    Did you know that Ruger has the only totally-green, carbon-free gun factory?
    They wrapped ol' Bill's corpse in copper wire and put it between a couple of magnets...)
    I always love your posts. They just make me smile.

I am going to a store/range this coming weekend and will try out an LCR(if they have one), but at this point I am really leaning strong toward the 642. I do not own any J frames and it seems almost un-American not to have at least one. If the LCR blows my doors off then I will change my mind. I will let ya'll know what I choose.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

I have one of the new Bodyguards, and I really like it. Light weight, recoil seems mild compared to some J-frames I have shot, accuracy is good, and the trigger is good enough to use right out of the box. Compared the LCR side-by-side with the Smith, and my wife liked the Smith better. Mine has the laser, and I must say it makes getting longer range hits a lot easier. However, I see the laser as more of a toy and primarily shoot the revolver using the irons. Neat gun.

I've seen a lot of bodyguards go back to the factory with issues... On a side note I've yet to seen an LCR with a problem and enjoy shooting them way more than any j frame. And this is coming from a Smith and Wesson fanboy.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    My two biggest gripes with S&W's Bodyguard:

1. The "ambidextrous cylinder release", which is "ambidextrous" only in the sense that it's just as awkward and fumble-prone with either hand. Plus, the amount of wiggle and play in it just doesn't fill me with confidence. The latch may not actually BE flimsy or fragile, but it sure FEELS that way.
    2. The only way they could put that laser activation button in a less-accessible place is if they put it in a locked box two rooms away from your gun. The switch needs to be activated by gripping the firearm, so as to avoid the whole "Hang on, Mr. Bad Guy! Time out to turn on my laser!" thing.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

FWIW (not much I know) I went with a LCR with the laser grip. I was really leaning toward and looking for a no lock 642 but stumbled on a LCR that already had the laser grips at a price I could not walk away from. I have only put about 50 rounds through it the day I got it and I love the trigger. The laser had not been set yet so no real feel for it other than it is fun to play with .

I have a couple j-frames and they have been great BUG guns. One of them is carried almost daily as my BUG and is used at the range as well for qualifications and training/practice. You can not go wrong with the j-frames. Recoil is a bit of a pain after extended shooting and some get the right thumb cut a bit from the cylinder release after extended shooting as well. I just wear a glove on the right hand for extended shooting to prevent my thumb from getting bugered up or tape it up. I've shot and handled the LCR's and a few coworkers are now packing them as BUGs, so shoot one before you make your final decision. I think that the LCR is a very viable option and flame cutting shouldn't be an issue unless you're running hot handloads through one. As for the S&W Bodyguard, I've not shot one, but I've handled them and to me they just seem cheap in construction, kind of reminded me of the old plastic cap pistols I had as a kid. But, again, I did not shoot one and I prefer the j-frames cause I got 'em and shoot 'em already.

Interestingly enough, one reason I did not purchase the LCR is because I though the laser was too easily accessible. I, for one, do not want the thing to turn on as soon as I grab it. If that is the first gun I grab off the nightstand at the sound of a possible goblin in the house, I don't want it lighting up and maybe evidencing where I am. For me, the laser is kind of a novelty that I can probably put to use under certain circumstances.
    On the other hand, I can pretty much assure you that it won't be the first gun I grab off the nightstand..

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor Esteban View Post
    For me, the laser is kind of a novelty that I can probably put to use under certain circumstances.
    I'll just beg to differ.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Ending an original comparative search between a 642 & BG with an LCR is interesting, more and more LCR’s are entering the CCW populace. Reading the comments on Laser sights was curious but Tamara shows an objective view I find acceptable. My limited experience with Laser sights is the one installed in my issued taser. Policy hinders any other use of laser sights so I’ll hold off on trying one until I’ve retired. I have misgivings about laser sights but do see the utility of them so I’ll continue to observe.

User Tag List