Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 642 vs bodyguard .38

I owned a bodygaurd .38 for a while.

It was an EXCEEDINGLY easy firearm to shoot, probably twice as easy to shoot quickly as a aluminum J-frame like a 642. The grip is very nice, and cushions the recoil well. The trigger is very easy to stage.

The laser was crap, and the location of it is stupid. No way I am compromising the grip of my firearm to activate it. You can activate it with the other hand, but I dont shoot backup revolvers two handed. AND.. it goes from "off" to "On" to "Flashing". No idea what the "Flashing" is supposed to accomplish....

HOWEVER.

A huge bonus of not having a cyl release on the side of the gun, is that between the fact that the thumb catch isnt there, and the slimness of the grip, it was an exceedingly easy revolver to reload with a speedloader.

Also, having your thumb on the top of the gun, gets it out of the way of the speedloader.

I could reload that gun very, very quickly.

The front sight is easily replaceable, and the overall finish was durable.

However, it was shoddily made. The little plastic pin that holds the front of the trigger gaurd to the frame worked out, Tam is correct the release is .. wobbly and crappy feeling, and the laser is a gimmick.

I ended up selling it, I have little use for a J frame. I currently carry a 4 inch N frame 45 ACP moonclip gun when I CCW a revolver. Conceals just as well, and pocket carry.. for me.. is bogus with any gun.

Hope that helps.

My two pence

I am coming in late and with half a load but here goes...

I am a J frame fan and have owned many with two currently in residence. A Model 36 and a Model 638. I have owned the 642 in several versions and liked it a lot but the old style Bodyguard model 38 or 638 are where my passion lies. The LCR and the "New" Bodyguard do not rock my boat. In fact the "New" Bodyguard is in my eyes an abomination on par with the introduction of the "Lock". It is such a major departure from the classic lines and feel of the J frame that I simply will not buy one period.

I hated the feel or administrative handling. The cylinder release was designed by a monkey for monkeys. The trigger was smooth and sweet but the recoil felt weird. I am a luddite and often use my old fart discounts so I believe I am simply being curmudgeonly. Even so the "New" bodyguard is NOT on my list.

I did pick up another Detective Special last week and have my eye on another J frame. Of the two you mention the 642 gets my vote but I hope you are happy with the new LCR.

User Tag List