Thread: Rogers Tap & Rack Training Aid

Rogers Tap & Rack Training Aid

In this video, Bill Rogers (Rogers Shooting School) demonstrates a new training aid just added to his Rogers product line: the Tap & Rack Training Aid (TRT). This small insert chambers into a 9mm or .40 cal magazine and inhibits the slide lock from catching, thereby allowing the user to safely practice "dry fires" without ejecting dummy rounds or alteration to the magazine.

We are diminished
    I bought a bag of them and they definitely work as advertised. Still not the same as having a snap cap for protecting your firing pin, firing pin block, etc. and I still use snap caps for extensive hammer-hits-nail dry fire.

The worst thing about the TARTA is that they'll sell you a 1-person supply for $5 but they want $9 shipping. I bought 20 ($10+9) so it came out to about $1 each. I'm thinking about getting a hundred of them and then just parsing them out to local folks who want to buy one or two.

Why they won't just drop three in business envelope for a couple bucks shipping is beyond me...

Bill Rogers didn't overhand or slingshot. That settles it.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

The backstory is, Dave, who is commonly called "MacGyver" for his ability to keep the targets running at the Rogers School, invented this thing.

jlw, come to Rogers, and I bet they give you one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Neat idea, but why not just gut an old worn out magazine? You can glue the base plate on, or simply cut out the slide catch not on the follower.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Neat idea, but why not just gut an old worn out magazine? You can glue the base plate on, or simply cut out the slide catch not on the follower.
    Not super practical when I want to practice with a full competition load of magazines (4-6 in pouches, 1 in the gun).
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Sorry for necropost.

I got my Tap Rack Training aid out the other day and used it to practice some Tap/Rack manipulations.

I have two questions after watching the video above.

Are there any suggestions for introducing randomness into the Tap Rack process? (As in, a malfunction by nature is going to a aperiodic. So how would you do the Drill 'at random').

Second, are there any good techniques to model after, for performing a Tap Rack Bang? I would prefer to develop my practice based on not having gun specific skills, but I don't have access to a good coach. Or am I overthinking this, and I should just get on with a good smack on the bottom of the mag folllwed by a healthy grip and rip, twisting the pistol towards the ejection port at the same time? (This was my recollection from my recent Combative Pistol Class.)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-04-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Are there any suggestions for introducing randomness into the Tap Rack process? (As in, a malfunction by nature is going to a aperiodic. So how would you do the Drill 'at random').
    Live fire, best way I could come up with is, I'll mix a couple of snap caps into a pile of ammo and load mags without really looking. I'll verify that the first round in each mag is not a dummy round and throw them all in my bag. Pick mags from the bag at random.

User Tag List